PDA

View Full Version : 3-point shooters vs. GU

Section 116
02-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Several of us have been having ongoing conversations regarding the uncanny ablility of someone going off on GU's defense. It seems every game we watch an opponent come out of the woods and shoot 3-point shots like he has never shot in his life. Coach Few commented on last night's USF game in today's Spokane newspaper," To go 14-22, I don't care if they're out there by themselves, that's amazing considering they (USF) were 5-26 against Portland (on Thursday)". It makes one wonder just what is it that makes opponents discover such 3 point sharpshooting. While I don't have an answer. Few said of last nights game, "We got caught over-helping way too much and that led to some of them". One comment I heard last night while a bunch of us were watching was, "It must be karma!" and maybe it is. Anyway I decided to go back and give the WCC boxscores the once over just to see what they said about 3 point shooting. This is what I discovered by game.

Portland Jan 10, 2009 shot 31.3% with Raivio the best at 3-5
Santa Clara Jan 15, 2009 shot 33.3 % with Petty and Rahon both at 2-4
USF Jan 17, 2009 shot 28.% with Wallace shooting 3-6
Pepperdine Jan 22, 2009 shot 32% with Hornbuckle at 4-6
LMU Jan 24, 2009 shot 27.8% with Dubois at 3-5
St. Mary's Jan 29, 2009 shot 33.3% with Steindl at 6-8
USD Jan 31, 2009 shot 36.4% with Brown at 3-5
Portland Feb. 5, 2009 shot 42.4% with Campbell 4-7
St. Mary's Feb 12, 2009 shot 44.0% wiht Hunter and Hughes 4-7
USF Feb 14, 2009 shot 63.6% with Wallace 5-6 and Lowhorn 4-4

All the above shooting percentages are for 3 point goals only. Frankly, overall the percentages surprised me until the most recent three games. Those are astounding 3 point percentages against us. Of course none of this answers any particular question other than there have been opponents who have become 3 point scoring machines and really knocked us back on our heels.

BobZag
02-15-2009, 02:15 PM
Other than the defensive philosophy or scheme, obviously, two things, imo--

1. Bombing threes is usually the only (and best) hope of a lesser team to beat Gonzaga.

2. Gonzaga now has a reputation for giving up threes so teams have instant confidence.

Ezag
02-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Other than the defensive philosophy or scheme, obviously, two things, imo--

1. Bombing threes is usually the only (and best) hope of a lesser team to beat Gonzaga.

2. Gonzaga now has a reputation for giving up threes so teams have instant confidence.

EXACTLY! We've had this reputation for years and have continued to give up the 3-bomb for years.

BobZag
02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
It's very difficult to shake a reputation. Think of all the actors, singers, etc., who will never shed their reps.

HillBillyZag
02-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Depending primarily on the three point shot is a double edged sword. It will get you points in a hurry when you are on, but have an off night and you are in deep kimchi.

Ezag
02-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Depending primarily on the three point shot is a double edged sword. It will get you points in a hurry when you are on, but have an off night and you are in deep kimchi.

Except everyone against has record 3-point shooting nights even the crappy shooting 3-point teams

jbslicer
02-15-2009, 04:43 PM
If I was a Big Blue fan, I'd like to see what Jody Meeks would do against the Zags.

Shanachie
02-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Except everyone against has record 3-point shooting nights even the crappy shooting 3-point teams

Did you look at the stats in the original post? This is just not true. The only WCC team that had a ridiculous night against GU was San Francisco. St. Mary's had a good night, and Portland was near their average.

Whether GU gives up more "career" nights from the three point line than other teams, I don't know. I suspect that these stand out to us because a lot of teams bomb away against GU, and when they are successful, it tends to mean a close game. When they are unsuccessful, the Zags tend to win by 20+ and we fans forget that the opposition shot a lousy percentage.

Here are the game by game stats:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/gonzaga/game_stats

Five teams (Arizona, UConn, St. Mary's, Portland, and USF) have shot > 40% against the Zags on three pointers. GU is 3-2 in those games, and two of the losses were close.