PDA

View Full Version : what the heck is going on

ssdak
02-15-2009, 10:36 AM
I love the passion and heart the fans on this blog have. Only wish the current overall zag team had the same.

GoZags
02-15-2009, 10:53 AM
10-0 in league.

#1 in the nation in field goal percentage defense.

drogba11
02-15-2009, 11:09 AM
I agree we're 10-0 in conference. I personally am just frustrated with a few players and their lack of leadership, other than that we're winning and winning counts. We have a good team, lets hope they find the chemistry by tourny time.

kclubfounder
02-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Sadsak,

It seems you took the time to join this forum so you can publicly rip this Zag team. Every comment has either been a general complaint about the team or a specific rip of a player.

gozags09
02-15-2009, 12:39 PM
#12 Clemson goes down to 8 win 12 loss Virginia
#15 Butler goes down to 12 win 15 loss Loyola-Chicago

Alot of Portland States out there!

Pargo the Destroyer
02-15-2009, 01:20 PM
blah blah blah wah wah wah, its all the same over here. Sickening.

EngineerZag
02-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Let's get real, guys. The only reason we're 10-0 is because Patty Mills got injured. We could easily be 8-2.

alaskazagnut
02-15-2009, 01:46 PM
....the Zags are not playing to their potential.

And the entire nation and hoops community is aware of it and is calling them out on it.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=ApDicjm327BoCOZ86nkTt_XevbYF?slug=jn-nobigsix021509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Anyone who thinks everything is OK and its just one of those things that happens is delusional and lying to themselves.

I am not just "blah blah blah or wah wah wah" either.

Our team will not make it past the first round if they play like they are playing now. Look at who Lunardi has us playing as a 6 seed. We should pray we get that 6 seed and can get to the Sweet 16. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Every fan of the Zags (whether on this board or not, and most are not) should be very concerned by the losses to PSU, Utah, and Memphis and the close wins by far inferior teams. I include St Marys and San Francisco on that list.

The sloppy passes and huge amount of turnovers is sickening. They need to stop showboating for the NBA scouts and play team ball. All they are doing is hurting their NBA chances by being sloppy and over confident, and overconfident they are.

BobZag
02-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Let's get real, guys. The only reason we're 10-0 is because Patty Mills got injured. We could easily be 8-2.

If "ifs" and "buts' were candies and nuts......... ;)

2wiceright
02-15-2009, 02:09 PM

EZag, are you serious? Down a few points at the half against Saint Marys and you would have thrown in the towel? What does our team have to do to prove we are where we deserve to be ?(I'll admit we may not have beat them at home with Patty Mills, but at the Kennel or a
neutral floor, I'll take that bet!). Throw in a healthy 7' Sacre and who knows how much better we'd be. Got to deal with the cards you have. Because of our depth we survived a crucial loss of one of our vital bigs to be in the top 20 still.

There is a strange enigma to this team, which constantly brings up questions of why all the turnovers, team toughness, etc. I don't have the answers but enjoy where we are right now! It might last, it might get better! Or it might not. But we can't control that. We can look at the past to see how difficult it is to get to this point. Just as an example the '05- '06 team went 14- 0 in conference.
We beat San Diego by one point, Saint Mary's by one point, and San Francisco by 3 points. Any one of those games could have gone either way, yet we won!

You can be sure that in all of the last four remaining conference games we will get everyones best shot! But I think if we can take it one game at a time we can do it!

Let's hope we get another shot at Patty Mills (healthy) in
Las Vegas!

More importantly, let's hope coach Few can solve the rebounding and turnover problem before the big tourney.

kclubfounder
02-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Lets get real Engineer Zag,

The only reason we are 10-0 in league play is because we have won 10 games and lost none. Otherwise, we would have a different record.

And if the dude from UConn had missed his magical 3 at the end of the Battle in Seattle then we would be ranked higher than 19 and 21 in this week's polls. By the way, isn't that the same guy that is now hurt?

JosephZags
02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Lets get real Engineer Zag,

The only reason we are 10-0 in league play is because we have won 10 games and lost none. Otherwise, we would have a different record.

And if the dude from UConn had missed his magical 3 at the end of the Battle in Seattle then we would be ranked higher than 19 and 21 in this week's polls. By the way, isn't that the same guy that is now hurt?

No sir. Price hit the 3. Dyson is the one who is hurt.

kclubfounder
02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Whoops. I stand corrected. Thanks Joseph.

But I still stand by my general thesis.

ZagLawGrad
02-15-2009, 04:51 PM
It's hard to argue with the fact that the WCC is just not very good for the most part this season. 10-0 is great. But let's not put the blinders on to the fact that our conference is just not very good after SMC and Portland. While USF played over their heads last night, it's because we get everyone's best shot.

4AmericasTeam
02-15-2009, 05:01 PM

A big dose of reality says we're not 8-2; we're 10-0.

zag67
02-15-2009, 05:35 PM
EZag, I like the rest above have to say, we are 10 -0 and not 8-2. We have come out on the road and take the other teams best shot and we won. Now, could they have done better, yes, but win they did.

Now, like everyone, the game against Memphis was not pretty, but since they changed their point guard, they are about 11 - 0 and are beating almost all of them really bad. So we need to just take and learn from that loss.

Are they fustrating at times to watch, yes, but they are young men and they hopefully keep learning and getting better. So all we can do is hope that the chemistry arrives in time for the tournament.

ssdak
02-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey kclubfounder, just calling it like I see it.

theirishzag03
02-15-2009, 08:13 PM

2 words... Cameron Tatum
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recap?gid=200901070580

We were down a LOT more, on the ROAD, and came out on top-

BZ....we'd all have a merrier Christmas!:D

LongIslandZagFan
02-15-2009, 08:35 PM
Hey kclubfounder, just calling it like I see it.

Take off your crap colored glasses then.

LongIslandZagFan
02-15-2009, 08:37 PM
For all who think the boys just suck it this year... do me a favor... total up the points that they have lost by.

Plus if we are going to play the dumb old "if game" then let me have my turn. I'd say IF we beat UConn we'd be undefeated right now and #1 in the country.

theirishzag03
02-15-2009, 09:05 PM
For all who think the boys just suck it this year... do me a favor... total up the points that they have lost by.

Plus if we are going to play the dumb old "if game" then let me have my turn. I'd say IF we beat UConn we'd be undefeated right now and #1 in the country.

IF you are NOT counting the Arizona game we lost before Texas Southern and UConn---

4 losses by a combined 18 pints- 1 BIG loss by 18 points

UberZagFan
02-15-2009, 09:25 PM
The Zags are what Uber thought they were. They may not be what others thought they were...apologies to coach Green.

alaskazagnut
02-16-2009, 12:26 AM
that i have written all year if we actually get past the second round the way we have been playing. I'll keep crying all day if I could get them to play to their potential. That is all anyone of us wants.

If we had to start now, we might get by UNLV but not Marquette. The only top 25 team we can beat is Tennessee and St Mary's.

EngineerZag is right. We got lucky that Patty broke his wrist. But maybe the losses would have been good for our team. IFs and Buts!!

Regardless, I am not wearing crap colored glasses. I just expect the best.
Mark Few does too. So do our players, and even they agree that they are not playing to their potential. Everyone agrees with that except certain rose colored fans on this board who just like to pretend that any truthful criticism is seen as hurting the kids feelings or slandering the team.

zag67
02-16-2009, 07:27 AM
But Alaska, by the same token we got unlucky against UCON. And who is to say what would have happened in the second half. Patty played a great super first half and hit 5 3s in a row (most of them with someone in his face). By the same token, he could have missed 5 in a row in the second half and we would have still beat them.

And as far as our team is concerned, where would we be if Robert had stayed healthy? Maybe only 2 losses. What many people miss, is that loosing a critial piece in our puzzle is a lot harder to replace than a team like UNC or Duke. But even them if Singler or Handsborough (?) goes down, where would they be?

All we can do is play the hand we were dealt and hope that some young "kids" get some chemistry and start playing even better. And at times we also do not know what other players that we have are playing with injuries.

Zagsker
02-16-2009, 07:41 AM

yeah, but we would only be 8-2 because Sacre is out

See the type of things you can come up with when you play the "let's be real" game:D

LongIslandZagFan
02-16-2009, 08:40 AM
Regardless, I am not wearing crap colored glasses. I just expect the best.
Mark Few does too. So do our players, and even they agree that they are not playing to their potential. Everyone agrees with that except certain rose colored fans on this board who just like to pretend that any truthful criticism is seen as hurting the kids feelings or slandering the team.

We expect the best too, but we don't whine about a win. In what so many people consider the "glory days" the team was losing 8-9 games in the regular season. A five loss season we'd been out of our heads about. Oh and by the way, back then the Zags were NOT playing the same tough schedule that this team and the teams of the last few years have had. Teams that went deep in the tourney lost to teams like Univ of Wisc - Green Bay. I have no problems with people being critical, but lately everyone on this board has totally unrealistic expectations. There is a very high probablity that the Zags may not lose again in conference and go into the big dance with 5 losses. Sorry, but if you look at that with any sense of realism you'd see that as NOT being a horrible season. Yet people on this board complain about every stinking game win or loss. Be happy with the win and move on and stop whining because your outrageous undefeated season is dashed.

Reborn
02-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Sorry, but "if" is really not a part of the game of basketball or any sport, or any part of reality. This is a good Gonzaga team. We are ranked in the top 25, and I for one am proud of the Zags. If "if" were part of the game then you'd have about 25 teams as the #1 team in America right now.

We are 10-0 in the WCC right now. That's a fact. I guess for some of you that isn't enough. But honestly how can it get better than 10-0? Oh, I know. You say it's because Patty Mills went down, and if he were still playing we'd be 8-2. Well, my advice to those of you who try to sell that idea here should just go over to the St. Mary's Board and become a Gael fan. None of you know whehter we would have lost that game if Mills had not gotten hurt. Those of you that say we would have, to me, are unfaithful fans, and I truly wonder why you even post here.

There are some of you who think or believe that the Zags should be playing "perfect" basketball, and that only your idea of "perfection" is acceptable. You base you assumptions on the fact that you think the Zags are a final 4 team, or that they should be. That is your mistake, and that's what keeps you from being a good fan. There is no such thing as playing a perfect game. The game itself is based on imperfection. There are many many mistakes every game. However, each game has a ton of positive things that happen, and if the positives are better than the negatives than you've had a good game. The Zags have had bad games. I will not negate that fact. But having one bad game, or even two, does not make a team "bad" because every team almost in America has had a couple bad games.

I am not saying the Zags will make it to the final 4. I am not saying they will make it to the Elite 8. And I'm not even saying they will make it to the Sweet 16. No one knows. That's the beauty of it. Personally, I think the Zags will have a difficult time making it to the Sweet 16. And I've said that all year. I said it not because I think the Zags are a bad team. I said it because it's going to be very difficult this year for any team in America to make it to the Sweet 16. An upset looms around every corner for every team. Some here on the Board assume that Gonzaga should have some "right" to be in the Sweet 16. No team has that right. And it will be a dog fight this year for any team to get there. I think Gonzaga has the same chances of getting there as about 30 other teams do. I think that's a fact. Statistically our chances may be better than some, and worse than others. But this will not be decided by statistics. It's going to be decided by HEART. It's going to be decided by how intense the internal fire is burning.

So why not just get involved in supporting the Zags, your team, one game at a time. Why not just give everything you have as a fan and just get behind them and get rid of your negativity. Try to enjoy the games the best you can. The goal of the game is to win. Enjoy the victories. The goal should not be to play perfect. And especially to a fans idea of perfection.

I like our team. I think we have some good players. I am grateful I am a Zag and that I get to root for these guys. WE may not be the best in America. So far we never have been. We may have to settle for being one of the top 25 teams in America. I don't think that's so bad for a small Jesuit school in Spokane Washington. Why not feel good about that.

Proudzagmom
02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
We expect the best too, but we don't whine about a win. In what so many people consider the "glory days" the team was losing 8-9 games in the regular season. A five loss season we'd been out of our heads about. Oh and by the way, back then the Zags were NOT playing the same tough schedule that this team and the teams of the last few years have had. Teams that went deep in the tourney lost to teams like Univ of Wisc - Green Bay. I have no problems with people being critical, but lately everyone on this board has totally unrealistic expectations. There is a very high probablity that the Zags may not lose again in conference and go into the big dance with 5 losses. Sorry, but if you look at that with any sense of realism you'd see that as NOT being a horrible season. Yet people on this board complain about every stinking game win or loss. Be happy with the win and move on and stop whining because your outrageous undefeated season is dashed.

What he said!!

EngineerZag
02-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Sorry, guys, I obviously forgot my sarcasm tags. I was trying to be funny.

UberZagFan
02-16-2009, 02:03 PM
The Zags are what Uber thought they were. They may not be what others thought they were...apologies to coach Green.

So Uber sees a few more losses than 1 or 2--more like 5-6 losses pre-NCAA.

http://www.guboards.com/showpost.php?p=286346&postcount=27

Rangerzag
02-16-2009, 04:25 PM

Come on, if Patty were really that good, the Gaels would have won with him in for just one half ;)

:jk: