PDA

View Full Version : Starting 5

GoZags
02-14-2009, 06:55 AM
There are 6,223 members on guboards, and a significant portion of the board membership has offered up their advice vis a vis different aspects of coaching. I feel kind of left out -- so -- here is my first shot at "Coach" GoZags -- and it concerns the Zags' starting lineup in the WCC tourney and in the dance* (*assumes GU is dancing).

1. Pargo
2. Bouldin
3. Daye
4. Heytvelt
5. Sacre

With a great bench consisting of Gray, Downs, Meech, Brown, and possibly Foster (if his fouls are needed).

There's been a lot of speculation on Sacre's return: theirishzag03 thinks it'll happen this coming week http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=17816
-- it was also mentioned on ESPN and there's just enough rumblings to think that the Big Guy is healthy and is getting in to shape.

From my perspective (again, this is my first and possibly my last endeavor in "helping" the staff) Josh and Austin have been playing out of position. Daye, while incredibly talented, just doesn't have the strength to mix it up with traditional Power Forwards -- Josh does. And if Sacre could give 6 to 8 minutes a half -- I think he'd certainly insert some of the increased toughness that I'd like to see.

Again -- there has been no confirmation on Rob's status -- just speculation. And my opinion is this -- with the talent of the starting 5 and the talent coming off the bench -- combined with the toughness we saw in gutting out a win in Moraga -- this could be an incredibly fun post season.

Edited to add: Go Zags. Beat the Dons.

MississppiZag
02-14-2009, 07:07 AM
I like this idea. Have this team play the first 5 minutes. After the first TV timeout, bring in Meech for Goodson, Gray for Bouldin, Downs for Sacre, Josh to the 5, and Daye to the 4. Then 5 minutes later bring in the original starting 5 with the exception of Daye or Heytvelt(they need to rest) allowing Ira to see some minutes at the 3 as well as the 4.

I'm sure the staff has been thinking this over, while Sacre is getting healthy. Unfortunately I have a feeling the staff is reluctant to bring back Sacre, much less place him in the starting lineup.

I think Big Rob's time will come next year. I see him averaging 8 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks in 20 minutes or so. I can't wait to get him back to 100% even if it is next yr.

Reborn
02-14-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't think it'll ever happen because of two reasons. First, Sacre will need to get into game shape. As you may remember last year Josh never played at 100%. He helped us in the WCC but when It came to the NCAA tournament we just needed more out of him. Last year a wounded Josh playing at 75% was better than no Josh.

Second reason is that it takes quite a while to build team chemistry. It's really a fragile thing. To move Sacre into the starting lineup would shift everyone into different positions as you indicatre: Josh at the four and Daye at the three. The idea is good but these guys have not played much this year at those positions. Josh has played the four some but Austin has not played the three at all. It just takes a lot of time to learn a new position in the Zag offense.

Our biggest problem is Austin, and I don't think it's a bad problem to have. I think Austin's biggest problem is his conditioning. It's hard for me to understand too because it's so late in the season. Maybe it's because he is in and out of the game so much that he just simply never got into very good shape. Austin has been fine at the four at times. And at others horrible. I think it's definately a mental thing for him. Even though he has glaring weaknesses on defense his offensive talent would make up for it (like Adam) if he would just get into a zone and get focused. He has such a bad habit of committing stupid fouls, and really seems unable to break the habit. So if Sacre plays, he's substitute for Austin I think, and Josh will go to the four. But against some teams Josh would be a liability at the four. It would all depend on the matchups.

Rangerzag
02-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Before Thursday I would have thought the odds of seeing Josh and Will playing together for a notable time during a game were pretty slim. I think it worked well.

I see Robert and Josh as a similar pairing. If Robert plays this year it would be a good combination. Robert and Josh together in a starting line up seems about as likely as seeing Josh and Will would have seemed last week.

At this point I hope Robert is able to provide excellence if he is to basically use a full year's eligibility for a limited number of games.

gonza
02-14-2009, 08:03 AM
We would definitely confuse the competition if we brought in Meech for Goodson !! :) :)

theirishzag03
02-14-2009, 08:25 AM
"Our biggest problem is Austin, and I don't think it's a bad problem to have.

I think Austin's biggest problem is his conditioning. It's hard for me to understand too because it's so late in the season."

I think it's definately a mental thing for him. Even though he has glaring weaknesses on defense his offensive talent would make up for it (like Adam) if he would just get into a zone and get focused. He has such a bad habit of committing stupid fouls, and really seems unable to break the habit. So if Sacre plays, he's substitute for Austin I think, and Josh will go to the four. But against some teams Josh would be a liability at the four. It would all depend on the matchups.

So is AD's problem mental or physical (conditioning)?

Who knows what they are doing at practice? We do not see everything they practice in a game. I am sure they practiced with Josh and Will on the floor together before we saw it in the game. There have been times during games with (Josh, Ira, Austin) or (Josh, Micah, Austin) where AD has shifted to the 3. The chemistry with Rob would be fine, as a matter of fact our "chemistry" has seemed to suffer a little since his injury.

Also, there is no guarantee Rob would be granted a Red-Shirt. I don't see Rob starting, (although I like GoZags idea), but do see him logging 4-5 minutes a half.

I think the quick substitutions that we saw versus St. Mary's and using the whole depth of the bench will start to be the trend from here on out.

BobZag
02-14-2009, 08:47 AM
There are 6,223 members on guboards, and a significant portion of the board membership has offered up their advice vis a vis different aspects of coaching. I feel kind of left out -- so -- here is my first shot at "Coach" GoZags -- and it concerns the Zags' starting lineup in the WCC tourney and in the dance* (*assumes GU is dancing).

1. Pargo
2. Bouldin
3. Daye
4. Heytvelt
5. Sacre

With a great bench consisting of Gray, Downs, Meech, Brown, and possibly Foster (if his fouls are needed).

There's been a lot of speculation on Sacre's return: theirishzag03 thinks it'll happen this coming week http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=17816
-- it was also mentioned on ESPN and there's just enough rumblings to think that the Big Guy is healthy and is getting in to shape.

From my perspective (again, this is my first and possibly my last endeavor in "helping" the staff) Josh and Austin have been playing out of position. Daye, while incredibly talented, just doesn't have the strength to mix it up with traditional Power Forwards -- Josh does. And if Sacre could give 6 to 8 minutes a half -- I think he'd certainly insert some of the increased toughness that I'd like to see.

Again -- there has been no confirmation on Rob's status -- just speculation. And my opinion is this -- with the talent of the starting 5 and the talent coming off the bench -- combined with the toughness we saw in gutting out a win in Moraga -- this could be an incredibly fun post season.

Edited to add: Go Zags. Beat the Dons.

Are you cRaZy!?

Nevtelen
02-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Also, there is no guarantee Rob would be granted a Red-Shirt.

While technically correct, I cannot think of one time I have ever, in my years of watching college bball, heard of a kid with a legit medical issue who didn't play more than the limit of games, not being granted a redshirt. Rob is guaranteed a redshirt if he doesn't play more. I, personally, hope that he does take the RS. I don't think this team will be boosted enough by the 10 or so minutes a game he can probably give that it's worth throwing away a whole year for.

Zagpower
02-14-2009, 09:25 AM
I would love to see the following group play together for a few minutes.

PG Bouldin
SG Downs
SF Daye
PF Josh
C Foster

We could play that lineup assuming the other team doesn't have a lightning quick PG.

GoZags
02-14-2009, 09:38 AM
Are you cRaZy!?

Yes, your Honor. Guilty as charged.

Reborn
02-14-2009, 10:25 AM
I was thinking a little bit like BZ, Gozags. I was thinking that your tenor as coach might be pretty short. But that's the beauty of a CollegeBoard. Heck, we all get to be coaches, and for me that's the fun, of not only giving my input but reading what all the other arm-chair point-guards have to say. I enjoyed your post, and I hope it stimulates a good conversation. The awesome thing about this year, is that I expect the unexpected, so you may be right, and I may be the crazy one....:D

VinnyZag
02-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Daye might have trouble guarding some SFs. I'm not sure he has enough lateral quickness. I used to think his best position was small forward, but I'm starting to change my mind. I think his best option is bulking up more and trying to play the 4.

theirishzag03
02-14-2009, 12:26 PM
While technically correct, I cannot think of one time I have ever, in my years of watching college bball, heard of a kid with a legit medical issue who didn't play more than the limit of games, not being granted a redshirt. Rob is guaranteed a redshirt if he doesn't play more. I, personally, hope that he does take the RS. I don't think this team will be boosted enough by the 10 or so minutes a game he can probably give that it's worth throwing away a whole year for.

Well, we were 7-0 with Robert, (1-non D-1) so if he DOES come back, say vs. Loyola Marymount... that would give hime potentially 7 games, plus practices to get back to 80-90% which would surely help us- and another 6 game winning streak to end the season would be really sweet!

http://blog.al.com/goldmine/2008/09/ncaa_denies_auburns_barber_ext.html

He has played 7/29 =24.1%(including Montana St. Billings) or 6/28=21.4% games not counting that game...the rule states he must not play in more than 20% of the scheduled contests that concludes with the NCAA championship---

The irony here is that UNLESS the zags win at least 1 game in the WCC 7/30=23.33% or 6/30=20% he will have exceeded the number of games allowed...

I say USE HIM!!!

GoZags
02-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Well, we were 7-0 with Robert, (1-non D-1) so if he DOES come back, say vs. Loyola Marymount... that would give hime potentially 7 games, plus practices to get back to 80-90% which would surely help us- and another 6 game winning streak to end the season would be really sweet!

He has played 7/29 =24.1%(including Montana St. Billings) or 6/28=21.4% games not counting that game...the rule states he must not play in more than 20% of the scheduled contests that concludes with the NCAA championship---

The irony here is that UNLESS the zags win at least 1 game in the WCC 7/30=23.33% or 6/30=20% he will have exceeded the number of games allowed...

I say USE HIM!!!

The Zags were 5-0 with Rob. First game was Oklahoma State and his most recent game was Washington State.

His redshirt is not in question -- but I believe if he's healthy -- he can contribute.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-14-2009, 09:15 PM
Daye might have trouble guarding some SFs. I'm not sure he has enough lateral quickness. I used to think his best position was small forward, but I'm starting to change my mind. I think his best option is bulking up more and trying to play the 4.

I like this idea. Everyone says that AD has to be Tayshaun Prince, and that on D, his lack of strength puts him at a disadvantage. It is really his lack of quickness(as you say), and inability to bang that make people think he cannot defend slashers or true C/PF players. While most of this is true, AD's midrange defense is superb, 10 out of 10. He blocks more jump shots that any Zag I have ever seen. He also tends to swat weak shots in the post, fadeaways ect. If he bulked up just a little bit, he could defend anyone with a midrange/face-up type game (think Josh Heytvelt, Stanley Robinson Pau Gasol), and he could do it well. There are plenty of these kind of players in the NBA, which is where AD is going anyway.

TacomaZAG
02-15-2009, 07:53 AM
buy a tie and a Coaches vs. Cancer T-shirt because that is a GREAT proposed starting 5 for the rest of the regular season and Tourney. Obviously, it depends on Rob being healthy and available, but this is our dream lineup and the one I was hoping for since the season started. As has been said, this lineup would allow Josh, Austin, and Matt to play their natural positions, and it would also remedy (IMO) our current rebounding woes.

Rob's role on this team allows him to more "play his way into game shape" than comparisons to Josh, as Rob doesn't have to carry any of the scoring load. He just needs to set screens and rebound, just be 7'-265 lbs.

Regarding the Medical RS issue, if Rob is available physically we need to make use of his skills, as this is a unique opportunity (Josh is gone next year, who knows about Austin) to field a very imposing team for the dance. Throughout the off season many threads tabbed Rob as the key to the season, based on what he could (did early in the season) bring to the lineup, both from his skill set, the role he fills (back to the basket 5), and most importantly that his presence allows our main scoring threats and biggest matchup problems (Josh, Austin, and Matt) to play their natural positions.

In answer to those who say Austin can't defend at the SF position I say BS. His length alone makes him a great defender at the position, plus his great timing (shot blocking) and adequate quickness make him more than up to the defensive task.

Bring Rob back ASAP and get GoZags a seat on the bench.

Go ZAGS

Nevtelen
02-15-2009, 11:27 AM

I say USE HIM!!!

The rule this year was changed to 30% of a team's games, I believe, which is why Brandon Johnson has a chance to come back and play next year for USD. So Rob's RS is guaranteed.

Obvsiously, this year's squad would be better with Rob than without him. No question. But with him coming back after not being able to be in shape or work on his skills for a significant time - his skill level just won't be what it could have been. No way he contributes significantly enough (let alone plays enough time) against NCAA quality compeitition to make enough of a difference to justify him basically losing an entire season. Plus, what if he ends up like Josh and reinjures the foot? Why take that risk? Bad idea all around.

chirguy
02-15-2009, 12:08 PM
For your starting five you have to play the guys that help and not hurt.

Point: Pargo has the best handle, but makes too many mistakes Bouldin is clutch.

Deuce: Surprise Pargo. Pargo has great skills for a two he drives well and is a fair shooter.

Small Forward: Micah. He's a good shooter and one of the best rebounders he also plays good defence.

Power: Josh is a natural.

Center: Will. Defensively he is sound.

Austin I think would do well coming off the bench for Josh or Will.

Steven subs for Pargo, Meech subs for Matt, Ira for Micah.

When Robert is ready he can sub for will or start.

JPtheBeasta
02-15-2009, 02:25 PM
We would definitely confuse the competition if we brought in Meech for Goodson !! :) :)

A three-man rotation of Meech, Goodson, and Demetri would be even better :)

fedwayzag
02-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Who started last nights game vs usf?? Did Micah or Steven start? Since I did not watch, could not tell from boxscore.

ZagLawGrad
02-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I see no compelling reason to take Gray out of the starting lineup. Downs lost the starting spot to Gray earlier this season, the result being that Downs has been a better player off the bench. Gray has had a couple of off games recently, but who on this team hasn't? Gray is still the same player who threw down 21 against Davidson. We will need that weapon in the post season.

bballbeachbum
02-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I think the quick substitutions that we saw versus St. Mary's and using the whole depth of the bench will start to be the trend from here on out.

Starting to think that, too. It's like a team with some X factors, and coach seems like he searches in each game, which strings to pull, how to optimize and tinker in each game, like a puzzle. It's a lot of fun to watch, especially of course when we win!!!

How about that lineup vs. USF of Meech, Jeremy, Austin, Ira and Steven? Haven't watched the tape, but I thought that unit played well together. Not saying they should be the starting 5.

A healthy in rhythm Robert makes us a completely different team, clearly. But foot injuries suck, and for a big man it can be tougher (although I do not know the prognosis for him) because of the weight and pressure of being, well, a big man.

Thanks for the fun string GoZags, fellow armchair coach. And Micah did start, btw, giving us three seniors in that starting lineup coming down the homestretch. Call me old fashioned, but I think (and hope!!!) that is good. Seniors and Feb/March seem to like each other.

GO ZAGS!!!

theirishzag03
02-15-2009, 08:24 PM
I kinda like this group-

Josh, Micah, Ira, Jeremy and Andrew;)