PDA

View Full Version : I want to see Few get a T

theirishzag03
02-13-2009, 09:34 PM
I would love to see coach Few actually get a technical foul...

Also like to see a bit more of this definition of "team"....

A Team
is a group of
people who go
out of their way
to make each
other look good

Even if this means they all sport the Fro-Hawk to bring back the unity and chemistry that was their in November.

MDABE80
02-13-2009, 09:38 PM
NO drinking before you post:)

trzag
02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Why does he need to get a technical foul? I don't see an advantage to it. Give the other team two free throws and the ball. That could be the difference in the game. Coaches can ride officials and get results without crossing the line for a technical foul.

theirishzag03
02-13-2009, 09:42 PM
NO drinking before you post:)

The "fro-hawk" is way more acceptable after 3 Margaritas!!!!!!

And of course Technical fouls .....I would have gotten 1 last night before I had time to take a shot of Patron!

UberZagFan
02-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Few has picked up a T this year.

theirishzag03
02-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I can find was on AD vs. Idaho....

T's are not a bad thing and usually result in a little motivation and rally cry to the team.

jim77
02-14-2009, 12:33 AM
It ain't his style. I like him the way he his.

theirishzag03
02-14-2009, 08:32 AM
Few has picked up a T this year.

You are right- I think it was vs.OK St. in the OSC, but it does not show up in the box-score. )(We won!)

http://www.collegebasketballfansite.com/photozoom.asp?photoid=42719

vandalzag
02-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Yeah a T would do wonders. Look how well it worked for USC.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/Tim-Floyd-does-his-best-Pat-Knight-impression?urn=ncaab,141721

I would be proud if my coach acted this way during a game.

UberZagFan
02-16-2009, 12:40 PM
You are right-

Like that really needs to be said. :D

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Proud too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love that passion- USC was on the road and down and the call was HORRIBLE!!!

vandalzag
02-16-2009, 01:19 PM
So how did it help

Rubbadub
02-16-2009, 01:26 PM
the call was HORRIBLE!!!

Seconded. Too many crappy teams win games because their post defense is entirely reliant on "defenders" falling over like dominoes whenever they're contacted. Refs should be suspended every time they call that an offensive foul instead of defensive. They're completely ruining everything Rub loves about bball.

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 03:29 PM
So how did it help

Maybe not so much "Instant Gratification" as just setting a tone!

Sometimes the fruits of your labor need time to come to fruition. I like the fire and intensity and hopefully it would rub off a bit on our players. Obviously a T is not an instant guarantee for a win.

DixieZag
02-16-2009, 05:17 PM
But I am inclined to agree that in the right moment, and it would have to be a "really" right moment, that if Few showed that he was ready to "fight" for his team, they might respond positively, goodness knows he has tried everything else.

vandalzag
02-16-2009, 05:47 PM

Sometimes the fruits of your labor need time to come to fruition. I like the fire and intensity and hopefully it would rub off a bit on our players. Obviously a T is not an instant guarantee for a win.

Really, Duke kids play pretty tough, ever seen Coach K have to be restrained from going after a ref. Floyd's T was not the first incident at USC, do not think that it has improved USC's toughness at all.
Maybe Few should kill a kitten in front of the team, that would really toughen them up. Or he could be like the General and choke out a player or throw a plant at a secretary. Or he could shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Really, Duke kids play pretty tough, ever seen Coach K have to be restrained from going after a ref. Floyd's T was not the first incident at USC, do not think that it has improved USC's toughness at all.
Maybe Few should kill a kitten in front of the team, that would really toughen them up. Or he could be like the General and choke out a player or throw a plant at a secretary. Or he could shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

I like how you reference Floyd going a little overboard, so here is coach K chasing the ref to 1/2 court for your viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-cSZFgjZ84

YES Coach K gets restrained by assist coach and listen to Vitale at the end and what he says about technical fouls...

You have gone off the deep end my friend- killing kittens? I am not asking Few to act like Ozzy Osbourne, just to show some extra fight at the right time sometime....like when a Memphis player is continuously climbing over our backs or when Micah is called for a foul on 2 straight blocks???

Controlled anger is not a bad thing and as you'll see here in the above video, a timely T can be a good thing!

vandalzag
02-16-2009, 06:28 PM
OK watch the two videos again. There is a big difference between the two, and no his coaches were not restraining him. He also did do it during a 6 pt game with under a minute. Floyd is a clown (and a cheat) and that little action did not show is his passion, rather his lack of control.
Using Vitale talking about anything Duke related instantly removes all merit from you point. Coach K could relieve himself on the court and Dukey V would call it a great coaching move.

The T coach K was for a purpose, to intimidate the refs when he did not like the way the calls were going on his home court. Had nothing to do with toughening up his players, which was the premise of your argument in favor of the coach getting a T. On the other hand the kitten trick could work, maybe he does it during a game to intimidate the ref.

ZagLawGrad
02-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Few has such a steady disposition that it might be counterproductive to get a "T". Might throw the players off, might even throw off the coaching staff?

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
You are clearly confused, which I should have diagnosed by your name (Zag or Vandal???)

2 Things- First of all, I NEVER used the words "toughening up" in any post regarding a T

I used the phrase "rally cry", the words = motivation, passion, intensity, and chemistry (when speaking of the FroHawk) and finally controlled anger and fight- never "tough" THESE were the basis of my thread!

Second, YOU were the one who brought up USC and coach Floyd and started using him as the example and then proceeded to ask if Coach K ever got a T. AND YES Johnny Dawkins grabbed him as he went towards the official. Also, while the camera is off of him it is stated he "sprints from the bench" And it was not only Duke Vital that was ok with it.

And please stay away from my cat and rabbit!!!

Nice attempt at trying to misquote me or twist my thread into a lie.

vandalzag
02-16-2009, 08:33 PM

Sorry I took your above statement to infer toughness, if fire and intensity does not relate to toughness than what in the world were you talking about.
Not confused just think the whole get a T so fire and intensity would rub off on players is silly.
The point with Floyd was the T did nothing by eliminate the chance for a win, which I believe is the point in keeping score. And if you are comparing Coach K's actions with Floyd's than your really need to stop drinking.

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
YOU compared them, I merely pointed out he gets T's. Also with 47 seconds left and the ball going back to ASU the game was all but decided. They had to foul anyway. All it did was give ASU the ball out of bounds as well. Therefor good timing to let his team know he cared.

Also, Austin Daye can be intense and play with fire and passion without being "tough" Kind of like Meech standing up to Chism when we played UT. He wasn't acting "tough" but he was being passionate and intense and not backing down.

vandalzag
02-16-2009, 08:53 PM
YOU compared them, I merely pointed out he gets T's. Also with 47 seconds left and the ball going back to ASU the game was all but decided. They had to foul anyway. All it did was give ASU the ball out of bounds as well. Therefor good timing to let his team know he cared.

Also, Austin Daye can be intense and play with fire and passion without being "tough" Kind of like Meech standing up to Chism when we played UT. He wasn't acting "tough" but he was being passionate and intense and not backing down.

OK so you must be aware(maybe not) that the other team is awarded FT's after a technical. Floyd was given a double T. ASU hit 3 of 4 giving them a nine point lead and the ball. So the game there is all but decided. Down 6 with 47 seconds and down 9 are two completely different scenarios. Also the fact that the coach is gone from the game may also have a negative impact. So why would you "love that kind of passion"? What is so good a bout a coach costing his team a chance to come back in a game? He let them know he cared so much that he was going to give the other team more points and then he was going to go to the locker room. Yeah that is a good one.
Regarding the toughness thing, we are talking about the same thing.

theirishzag03
02-16-2009, 09:07 PM
the Zags to be tough! Yes I do know that with the T come FT's. That is why I said that it cost them the possession. Down 6 and USC ball (after the charge call) they would have had to foul; resulting in FT's anyway. So an 8 point game with 45 seconds seems as close to done as it gets! Especially on the road. So I really do not believe that coach getting a T there "cost" them the game!

I am saying that in a circumstance more similar to that of Duke vs. GT, it would be refreshing to see Few show some fire and raw emotion. Stomp his foot like I've seen him do a few years back and actually get red in the face! He seems to care more about his "classy rep" Go Bruce Pearl on em! It would have been nice to see him jump out of his seat and come to Micah's defense vs St Mary's or get in an officials face vs. Memphis when the refs were calling 2 completely different games on each end of the floor.

DixieZag
02-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Once and only once, in the exact right situation and then gather the team around and announce that they have the whole world against them, what are THEY going to do about it.

EngineerZag
02-17-2009, 05:10 AM
That call WAS horrible, especially considering that it was an overrule of the right call. I can't understand why the lead official would think that he should overturn that call. Dumb, dumb move.