PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Announcers = suck

hooter73
02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I couldnt believe how bad the anouncers/comentators were last night (Gu vs St. Maries). Besides refering to the play style as hampsters running around (something you'd more expect to come from Elo), interviewing for an extended time Patty Mills in the middle of the first half with the score being that close was terrible. At the end of a blow out maybe or save it for half time but how is it appropriate during a tied first half? Then giving resturant reviews, what the crap? How do those guys get jobs at ESPN!

BobZag
02-13-2009, 10:05 AM
I liked them. Lavin is from the Bay Area so he knows. They were fine.

malmer7
02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
i normally HATE lavin and his greasy dew, but i think he did a fantastic job last night. he absolutely had me lmao - he's not the brightest guy in the world and it's no surprise he hasn't found a new coaching job since getting dumped by the bruins, but i thoroughly enjoyed the broadcast last night and his sense of humor.
the only think i DIDN'T like, is that they brought on mills to the broadcast and i think i even started to like him a little, not good.

hockeyzag
02-13-2009, 10:42 AM
It was super corny but when Lavin was talking about all the Australians and then saw Foster come in, he made some crack about how Will's last name reminds him of a certain Australian Beer, "There's a tall boy right there".
The kind of bad joke that makes you laugh out loud, or at least I did.

P.S. We should be so fortunate that ESPN wants to include us in their rivalry week broadcast from that tiny high school gym, the announcers were just fine.

GU69
02-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Usually I am fine with them.

However, last night I got pretty frustrated at all the extraneous talk. It was a close and exciting game, but they were frequently talking about something else and paying very little attention to what was going on. That is ok in a lopsided game, but I found it distracting last night.

whatazag
02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised that some thought the announcers were so bad, I thought they were pretty good. Are you sure you didn't mean the officials sucked?

zag944
02-13-2009, 10:53 AM
I liked them generally, but hearing Patty Mills get his name shoehorned into every other sentence was very annoying.

He is a great player, perhaps the best in the WCC. He is injured and not playingfor a while. St. Marys is hurt by not having him. We get it. Talk about it at the beginning and maybe once in the 2nd half for those tuning in later. Guy was getting Tyler Hansbrough love and he wasnt even freaking playing

lothar98zag
02-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Before dumping on them anymore, I thought I should point out that is was about 110 degrees in the gym last night. So some of their idiotic comments could be attributed to heat stroke...

(btw, thanks for confirming that Lavin was at the game last night. I thought I recognized his shinny hair from my seat, but I was just far enough away that I wasn't certain if it was him or not.)

2wiceright
02-13-2009, 11:37 AM
i have to agree with hooters73 on this, although they are well known and liked announcers, I too found myself pulling my hair out begging them to focus on the tight game, who's just fouled, etc. They really should have done the Mills interview at the half...IMO

LongIslandZagFan
02-13-2009, 11:39 AM
Before dumping on them anymore, I thought I should point out that is was about 110 degrees in the gym last night. So some of their idiotic comments could be attributed to heat stroke...

(btw, thanks for confirming that Lavin was at the game last night. I thought I recognized his shinny hair from my seat, but I was just far enough away that I wasn't certain if it was him or not.)

So the question now is, are the new lights that they added heat lamps?

GonzagaDynasty
02-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Turn off the sound if you dont like what they are saying. I think they did great.As for interviewing Patty mills, I loved it.

misszigzag
02-13-2009, 01:10 PM
I normally don't mind the espn announcers but last night I was annoyed with them.

Give your props to Mills, and move on.

Focus on the game at hand. Thats what they are being paid to do. I shouldn't have to turn off the volume.

webspinnre
02-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Turn off the sound if you dont like what they are saying. I think they did great.As for interviewing Patty mills, I loved it.

I was annoyed how they constantly talked about him, but the interview was fantastic. What a well-spoken young man.

Tmac5360
02-13-2009, 02:07 PM
Remember that a very small percentage of people watching the game are as into it as we all are. So the announcers are paid to talk. Lavin is a dork really but he tries to make it fun. In truth when the game is on the line late I turn down the sound so I can focus. As far as Mills goes I thought he was very classy and a great interview. I know he is the enemy but he seems like a hell of a good kid. And we all know he can play the game!

siliconzag
02-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Then giving resturant reviews, what the crap? How do those guys get jobs at ESPN!

Actually the Restaurant reviews were decent, even if they did list the famous ones such as the Tadich Grill which has been around since 1849.

Most of the announcers make a big deal out of bay area restaurants. It brought hoots from those gathered my place last night. While I do tend to agree I have seen better efforts, the analysis was sound. They had some things to say about areas we could improve on, however nothing earth shattering. Steve Lavin is a good bastketball mind, even if he upset the Bruin alums. In fact, let me say that differently. He is a good basketball mind because he upset the Bruin alums. Good for him.

Sili

bullzag23
02-13-2009, 02:55 PM
Actually the Restaurant reviews were decent, even if they did list the famous ones such as the Tadich Grill which has been around since 1849.

Most of the announcers make a big deal out of bay area restaurants. It brought hoots from those gathered my place last night. While I do tend to agree I have seen better efforts, the analysis was sound. They had some things to say about areas we could improve on, however nothing earth shattering. Steve Lavin is a good bastketball mind, even if he upset the Bruin alums. In fact, let me say that differently. He is a good basketball mind because he upset the Bruin alums. Good for him.

Sili

I would hereby like to begin the movement to get Steve Lavin RE-hired at UCLA to do what he does best: Bring down the Bruins :D

bballbeachbum
02-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Liked them. I often do as Dynasty suggests and turn it all the way down, frankly, if I can't take it.

But Lavin is sincere, I think, so I listen. They were straight up on the officiating thing, which is to their credit. The Patty Mills thing was SM selling themselves to the country for the tournament, imo. Was it done correctly? I don't know, but I understand their motivation.

AzZag
02-14-2009, 08:55 AM
Wow...some of you are wound way too tight...grab a Foster's...or 12...
Lavin is awesome...

RRZagFan
02-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Lavin is better than Ehlo,and him calling Downs block a Spadling Sandwich was great.

wiszag
02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Hard to complain about anyone who isn't the local guys. Lavin's grown on me over the years, I hear he's a real decent guy too.

Two weeks in a row of Game Day, good times.