PDA

View Full Version : Is Gray deep in Few's dog house?

azzagfan
02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm not sure if coach Few has a dog house, but is Gray after his lack of hustle last night deep in Few's dog house. Coach Few created a mini tornado in how quick he turned to the bench to get him out of the game.

Downs has played fairly well (and was robbed on 2 clean blocks on Simpson) in the last 2 games, so I'm wondering if we'll see another shake up in the starting lineup.

Reborn
02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I doubt if there will be changes, but when guys do not play well, especially on defense, I think they will sit more. We have some very capable guys on the bench just waiting to play more. Downs is one of them. I agree that Gray had no energy last night. That's two games in a row for him. He may not be in Few's dog house, but I am sure he will be paying a visit to Few's office for a nice one on one.:)

theirishzag03
02-13-2009, 10:00 AM
I would have pulled him as well...especially after he looked at Pargo, didn't give the ball up (looked selfish) and proceded to dribble the ball off his foot and out of bounds. Reminded me of when Adam Morrison took the ball out of Derek Raivio's hands at the end of a game to secure his 40pt game!

It may not have been ( and I doubt it was) but it appeared to be selfish, or at the very least it epitomized a lack of chemistry.

lothar98zag
02-13-2009, 11:31 AM
Is Gray deep in Few's dog house?

Not sure if the cameras picked it up, but after Gay sat down on the bench, Few gave him a death glare for several seconds. I think Few would have played AS last night before putting SG back in. wow.

I agree that Downs has been playing well recently, but I'm not sure Gray has done enough wrong to lose the starting spot - who knows...

zag944
02-13-2009, 11:57 AM
If Im not mistaken, Gray was pulled out after commiting a turnover. The only reason he HAD the ball, however, was because he had just made a steal for the 2nd straight possession.

Anyways, Gray seems like one of Few's favorites overall. He is starting over a senior who can bring a lot to the table production wise.

I dont think Gray (or Micah when he is the one playing less) have much to worry about. We have 6 guys that average 13 minutes and 6 guys that average above 24. Our 6th man just happens to play the same position as Gray, so one of them will always be sitting on the bench a little longer than expected.

lothar98zag
02-13-2009, 12:03 PM
If Im not mistaken, Gray was pulled out after commiting a turnover. The only reason he HAD the ball, however, was because he had just made a steal for the 2nd straight possession.

Anyways, Gray seems like one of Few's favorites overall. He is starting over a senior who can bring a lot to the table production wise.

I dont think Gray (or Micah when he is the one playing less) have much to worry about. We have 6 guys that average 13 minutes and 6 guys that average above 24. Our 6th man just happens to play the same position as Gray, so one of them will always be sitting on the bench a little longer than expected.
Gray was pulled after not hustling for a loose ball - it didn't matter how he got the ball, it was how he lost it. This loss of focus was not a one time thing either. If you recall - a few plays before he was watching the cheerleaders (or something) as Pargo wizzed a pass inches from his head for what could have been a wide open 3ptr.

dim4sum
02-13-2009, 12:37 PM
The stats don't lie--27 minutes of no-show for Steven. 0 assists, two turnovers, one measley board, poor, out-of-position D, zero movement without the ball. Austin wasn't much better with just 3 of 12 shooting, four measley boards. In just 13 minutes Will picked up three boards and blocked two shots. The big thing that bugged me is that Austin did not get a single offensive rebound. That's disgraceful for a 6-11 guy.
There is a lot of hard-work ahead. The sophomores just aren't delivering.
They are just too nonchalant.

misszigzag
02-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Few may have been frustrated with Gray during the game, but I think it ended there. I doubt he will be in the dog house for this, as it was an isolated event.

I would like to see Downs start next game. He hustled non stop last night!

fedwayzag
02-13-2009, 08:01 PM
I have to agree 100% with few when he pulled gray. It is one thing to commit a turnover, but there is no excuse for not hustling after the ball he dribbled(sp) off his own foot. In fact I think simpson drove on the floor in an attempt to get the ball. It is actually embarrassing to me. I think Few sent a message not only to gray but the whole team with his actions(how he turned around immediately and inserted Micah). In the long run it might pay huge dividends.

ZagLawGrad
02-13-2009, 08:17 PM
SG had an off night. But he's got game on both ends of the court, and is important for the post-season. He's my favorite player on this team. I look for a strong finish from him.

gamagin
02-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Gray was pulled after not hustling for a loose ball - it didn't matter how he got the ball, it was how he lost it. This loss of focus was not a one time thing either. If you recall - a few plays before he was watching the cheerleaders (or something) as Pargo wizzed a pass inches from his head for what could have been a wide open 3ptr.

it WAS a huge mistake, given the intensity of the moment, imo.

CDC84
02-14-2009, 12:05 AM
The issue with Steven Gray is never hustle and effort. It's about him taking the initiative to assert his talent and abilities in a game when his team needs it. Just like what Jay Bilas said during the Tennessee and Memphis games. I really believe that a lot of this is coming from Steven's confusion as to what his role is on this team. I still think he sees himself as serving a sharpshooting role, which is not what the staff wants. They want him to shoot AND attack, and to stop deferring to others all the time. He has a lot of talent that could be useful to the team.

azzagfan
02-14-2009, 10:39 AM
CDC, you may be correct, but he was yanked from the game for one reason and one reason only, hustle. Coach Few has to be at his wits end not having a guy pick up the role Pendo left. Ira doesn't play enough minutes to be that guy this year in my opinion, and Coach Few is feeling frustrated. Rightfully so I might add.

GU69
02-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Coach Few has to be at his wits end not having a guy pick up the role Pendo left.

Probably. I know it frustrates me.

My pick for the Pendo replacement is Micah. It seems to me that he is always moving and always working. Most of the others seem to just lose focus sometimes.

The players on top teams have more talent than the players on other teams, but they also out-hustle other players. It takes both: talent and effort. You can do pretty well with just one, but the elite programs have both.

Bulldog
02-14-2009, 11:59 AM
The key word is EFFORT, we have a ton of talent, but what is lacking is effort and focus on the floor. The starting five is just that, the starting five.
If they don't have effort or focus then substitute. There are a lot of kids that would give their all to be out on that court. Sorenson comes to mind.

gum797
02-14-2009, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=theirishzag03;366307]I would have pulled him as well...especially after he looked at Pargo, didn't give the ball up (looked selfish) and proceded to dribble the ball off his foot and out of bounds. QUOTE]
This stuck out more than anything else to me. I dont know if he was trying to be aggresive or what, but that play looked selfish and did not reflect on GU's style of play well.

ZagLawGrad
02-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Of all the problems the Zags have had to to deal with his season, SG is amongst the least of the problems. He earned his starting spot back for good reason.

zagfan08
02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Gray's lack of hustle had me screaming at the TV, and I'm glad Coach Few sat him for the rest of the game. It's like his head just wasn't in it.

It starts on the practice floor. I've heard there's only a handful of guys getting after it everyday, something that wouldn't surprise me given our recent performances and recent lack of toughness.

The problem is we aren't going to win tournament games with Ira and Meech playing the majority of the game. The more skilled players (Gray, Daye, sometimes Pargo) need to get it together, limit the mental mistakes, and give us momentum heading into the NCAA tournament.

bballbeachbum
02-14-2009, 04:45 PM
I saw some of those things, too...but continue to love Steven's game. He's a sophomore.

He's had a couple of down ones here (loved coach's response), and many many more up ones before that. Interested in his response, his adjustments, mainly mental imo since being Memphis'd a bit maybe? These things happen in a season, so what's his competitive response? Watching for that from him.

Just don't want to see him start pressing, no need for that. The game will come to him. Steven's way good.

azzagfan
02-14-2009, 07:53 PM
After watching the first half, I'd say the answer to this question is yes. I just hope there's room enough for Pargo in there.

g-ride
02-14-2009, 08:25 PM
I was about to ask about Gray and yes there is someting up with him

Zag79
02-15-2009, 01:00 AM
i think it has more to do with confidence, which in my opinion few has affected this in some of the players. when you get pulled out and put in over and over after a mistake, it starts to make you look over your shoulder. it can make you play worse. Pargo, Gray and Daye have all suffered from this. its much easier to play care free when you know you can make mistake after mistake like bouldin and stay off the bench. matt turned it over 3 straight trips, then took two terrible jumpers. 5 possesions and he continues to play. pargo makes a bad pass and hes out. gray, daye, micah the same. hell, even meech was playing fantastic only to make a mistake and sit for enternity. this reminds me of stepp and pmac. gourde and pendo. we need a rotation with consistency, its too close to march to not have roles defined. let them play through it, and they will be better.