PDA

View Full Version : One good coaching call and one bad

cggonzaga
02-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I'll start with the bad. Why are we in a zone defense with SMC down 6 with under 30 seconds? They get a wide open look and knock down the 3 to bring them within 3. Just play man please!

And now the good. I thought it was a very good decision to have Pargo foul after Bouldin missed both his free throws. It looked even better after SMC turned the ball over.

I wish we would've fouled Price at the end of the UConn game when we were up by 3. A 2 free throw situation there would've been a better option imo. Price made an incredible shot against good defense. Not a big complaint there though.

SageOfZagville
02-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Totally agree about the zone. They need three's at that point in the game and it didn't make since to play the zone. All you have to do is overload it, and someone is open.

cggonzaga
02-13-2009, 11:08 AM
All you have to do is overload it, and someone is open

Which is exactly what happened. I still don't like our zone at all. The 3-2 look is better but we still aren't getting out on the shooters well enough.

EngineerZag
02-13-2009, 01:27 PM
Our 1-3-1 zone was actually what helped us finally pull away.

DADoZAG
02-13-2009, 01:37 PM
Having the hands up and/or in passing lanes didn't hurt either.

11 steals when the average is 7.

Several of those steals were from SMC simply trying to pass through lanes that were filled with Zag hands.

HANDS UP ON D, GO ZAGS!

cggonzaga
02-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Our 1-3-1 zone was actually what helped us finally pull away.

I don't disagree but that's not what I was talking about. We should've been in a man to man under 1 minute imo. The 3 ball is the only thing that keeps them in the game at that point. Pressure the heck out of the 3 point line and make them settle for the 2.

EngineerZag
02-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah, makes sense. I thought you were bashing the zone in general like a lot of posters do. I think the zone D this year has looked better than any of the previous several years, especially when the guys are playing up and not sagging 5 ft off of their man.

jonesz
02-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I agree with you 100%.......however, Few says he will not foul ahead by three because "too many things can happen".

We had a foul to give........that's the only reason why pargo grabbed him. I was thinking the same thing when I saw them in a zone defense.

I wish Josh would have given the ball back to the guards instead of holdig it to be fouled. I thought he could have passed it back to Bouldin. I know that Gray was in a funk, but he should have been in there for his free throw shooting.

fedwayzag
02-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I agree cggonzaga. Should have been in man to man guarding the 3 point line and forcing them to drive. Good call

theirishzag03
02-13-2009, 09:06 PM
I wish Josh would have given the ball back to the guards instead of holdig it to be fouled. I thought he could have passed it back to Bouldin. I know that Gray was in a funk, but he should have been in there for his free throw shooting.

Bouldin was way off at the line---3-6 , whereas Josh was shooting well 10-12.

Neither of Matt's were close in the closing seconds. Too bad Steven and Austin are NOT shooting the freebies at the 90% clip they were a short year ago. That would make the decisions down the stretch much easier.