BobZag
03-19-2007, 06:12 PM
The homecourt.
Great exposure.
Quality competition.
Madison Square Garden.
Not so much pressure.
A better chance to be champs.

In future "transitional" years when/if Gonzaga doesn't make the dance, I won't feel bad at all with the NIT, especially if we get a 1 seed.

:)

sanfranzagsguy20
03-19-2007, 06:30 PM
i agree for the most part but imo i dont think we can ever feel "good" about an NIT bid with the status that we have reached as a program....unless we completely fall apart during a particular season

Wolkster
03-19-2007, 06:39 PM
We're #66!!!
We're #66!!!
Woo Hoo!!!

zagco
03-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Famous Quotes in History:

"I will fight no more forever." Chief Joseph.

"Call me Ishmael." Herman Melville.

"I prefer the NIT over the NCAAs." BobZag.

23dpg
03-19-2007, 07:10 PM
The homecourt.
Great exposure.
Quality competition.
Madison Square Garden.
Not so much pressure.

In future "transitional" years when/if Gonzaga doesn't make the dance, I won't feel bad at all with the NIT, especially if we get a 1 seed.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not Bob. It you are serious, I strongly but respectfully disagree.

brasszag
03-19-2007, 07:15 PM
I still think the NIT should be run as the "consolation bracket" of the NCAA - especially since they are now "owned" by the same teams.

First off - revise the bid rules.

Conference tournament champion gets league autobid A, the regular season champ gets bid B (second place in conference play if same team would win both bids otherwise) - Ivy league, top two regular season teams get bids... because they're "special" This rewards both teams that are peaking, and those that put together a seasonlong resume but stumble in a "weak" conference.

There's your "auto-bids" along with an autobid invite of the top eligible "independant team" as a token to new programs.

That makes 69 reserved bids (if my math works) - with every team having 2 chances to make the NCAA/NIT tourney under their own power - then invite the remainder as the normal at-large seeding process.

Run with 96 total teams. Seed 1-24 each region.

Seeds 9-24 each region play at the 9-16 seed homes on the day that now hosts the abomination that is the play in game. March Madness taken the the n'th degree. Winners progress to the NCAA, losers to the NIT.

This will I think be a bigger boon for the smaller leagues - each with two teams in the "bigger dance," even though it will cause at-larges to mostly to be from the power league, I suspect.

My $0.02 (give or take some)

gonzagulous
03-19-2007, 07:29 PM
If the NCAA tournament is the Big Dance, what's the NIT? The Little Jamboree?

"Come on Zags! Let's go Jamming!"

Or maybe it's The Punch Bowl Off To The Side Of The Big Dance Floor Where People Who Can't Dance Awkwardly Stand Around.

zagco
03-19-2007, 07:32 PM
I prefer the Monkees to the Beattles.

I prefer the USFL to the NFL.

I prefer Playboy to Penthouse.

I prefer baked Lays potato chips to pork rinds.

SteeleMan
03-19-2007, 07:50 PM
Unfortunately, the NIT will always be the "losers" tournament. I will be watching as Syracuse wins it in MSG, though. And no matter how second rate the NIT is, it's mounds and bounds better than anything the Women's NCAA Tournament can deliver. Parish the thought of a Women's NIT... that would just be sick, puke your guts out sick.

McZag
03-19-2007, 08:15 PM
The homecourt.
Great exposure.
Quality competition.
Madison Square Garden.
Not so much pressure.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Oh Bob yer killin' me!!! You need to take THIS material on the road!!! Better chance of being champs!?!?! Of what CYA 12-years and up???? Oh man, classic!!!!!! The only seed in the NIT is pumkin seed cause Cinderalla's carriage is long gone. :lmao:

bigblahla
03-20-2007, 12:44 PM
If BZ likes the NIT and he's considered by many of us to be a WIT does that make BZ a NITWIT?:lmao: :lmao:

UberZagFan
03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
The homecourt.
Great exposure.
Quality competition.
Madison Square Garden.
Not so much pressure.

And to think that Romar had all these reasons lined up to defend the "success" of his season this year when he was supposed to be accepting an NIT invite. To bad he didn't get a chance to break them out.

VanZagar
03-20-2007, 02:11 PM
Better to play a few games against equivalent competition than to be a one and done team that doesn't measure up to its oponent at the NCAA's.
Bouldin, Downs, Pargo and Kuso would all have benefitted from a few more tournament style games against decent competition. If the NIT is such a loser tournament please stop trumpeting the win over UW (#8 at the time...)
and our terrific conference comeback and tourney win. After all, by your own definition, they were against teams that are worse than losers and could have been beaten just as easily by any other mediocre team.

If your team can't make it past the first round you'd have been better off in the Nit. Unfortunatly you never know that until you've already lost that first rounder.

ClownRoyalZag
03-20-2007, 02:19 PM
The homecourt.
Great exposure.
Quality competition.
Madison Square Garden.
Not so much pressure.

ya ... right. Not so much pressure:lmao:

BobZag
03-20-2007, 02:26 PM
What tourney did the 1999 National Champions play in the year before, in 1998? You know, the team that beat our Elite Eight team.

:D

drnoe
03-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Famous Quotes in History:

"I prefer the NIT over the NCAAs." BobZag.

Great stat in Mark Kriegel's "Pistol Pete"...in 1970, Marquette was awarded a bid to the NCAA tourney. Apparently, Al McGuire thought that Adolph Rupp had a hand in tampering with the brackets by placing UK and Marquette in opposite sides of the country...I guess Rupp was too afraid to play Marquette. Anyway, McGuire got pissed and turned down the NCAA bid and opted to play in the NIT instead. LSU made it to the NIT semis that year (Pistol's senior year). Obviously, the NIT was never the same after the NCAA expanded to 64 teams.

Birddog
03-20-2007, 04:11 PM
You younguns probably don't know, but the NIT was superior to or at the very least equal to the NCAA Tourney for years. The tide shifted in the 60's, but the NIT still had prestige into the late 70's.

Here are some interesting tidbits about the NIT.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/basketball/men/02tourney/nit-tidbits.htm

Birddog

BobZag
03-20-2007, 05:26 PM
You younguns probably don't know, but the NIT was superior to or at the very least equal to the NCAA Tourney for years. The tide shifted in the 60's, but the NIT still had prestige into the late 70's.

Here are some interesting tidbits about the NIT.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/basketball/men/02tourney/nit-tidbits.htm

Birddog

Since then the new generation of sports talk shows have hammered on the NIT until they got everyone convinced that it's no good.

;)

sanfranzagsguy20
03-20-2007, 05:34 PM
interesting facts...but last time i checked it was 2007...none of that stuff matters to this year's team and future GU teams...if they dont get an ncaa bid at this stage of their program it is a failed season plain and simple

nosebleedzag
03-20-2007, 05:48 PM
Had to wear an NIT shirt to the St. Paddy's day parade on a bet. Lot's of Oregon fans were absolutely giddy UW didn't get a sniff. On the other hand playing basketball is playing basketball. I wouldn't turn any invite down.

NJZag
03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Since then the new generation of sports talk shows have hammered on the NIT until they got everyone convinced that it's no good.

;)

Speaking of sports talk and commentators, there's been a newer one out in the culture for a couple of years.

His big break might be courtside color commentary at GU's next NIT, when such an NIT comes to pass.

He's better with blue and grey than blue, white and red. (The color part.)

He has a lot of experience with the NIT. (The commentary part.)

Yes, BZ, as only a person with a lone remaining rooting interest in this year's Sweet 16 can be magnanimous, I am generously giving you ...

hold

the

:clap:

please,

until

the

announcement ...

http://www.thehoya.com/images/020102/spotlight.jpg

"Fresh Esh - the Prince of the NIT"

Book him now to handle that Gonzaga NIT Finals broadcast.

Kidding aside and for the young pups like SanFranZagsGuy20:
It doesn't take a review of ancient history to see the value of one year's NIT experience feeding into a next year's NCAA success. Zags own '98 bout with the NIT probably helped feed the '99 miracle. Playing a Syracuse, even in a down NIT year like this one has been, is still going up against some programs with decent players and established coaching.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-20-2007, 06:23 PM
dont recall ever saying the nit was a bad tournament nor did i ever mention that i felt GU should turn down the invite...but the original point of this post was that someone preferred the nit's to the ncaa's and i respectfully disagree...when/if gonzaga gets an nit bid instead of an ncaa bid that season will have been a failed season...

just because the nit has a great history doesnt mean you have to be happy to be in it...as a national power you dont want your last game of the year to be for the rights of being called the 66th best team in the nation...anyone who wants an nit bid over an ncaa bid because they want the best for gonzaga needs to get their priorities in order as a fan

NJZag
03-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Had to wear an NIT shirt to the St. Paddy's day parade on a bet. Lot's of Oregon fans were absolutely giddy UW didn't get a sniff. On the other hand playing basketball is playing basketball. I wouldn't turn any invite down.

On the topic of playing is playing, here is this year's field for the NIT

Air Force
Alabama
Appalachian State
Austin Peay
Bradley
Clemson
Delaware State
DePaul
Drexel
E. Tennessee State
Florida State
Fresno State
Georgia
Hofstra
Kansas State
Marist
Ole Miss
Michigan
Mississippi State
Missouri State
Miss.Val.State
UMass
N C State
Oklahoma State
Providence
San Diego State
S. Alabama
Syracuse
Toledo
Utah State
Vermont
West Virginia (Pitsnoggle gone)

While the viewing audience is nothing like the NCAAs, and only ESPNU and ESPN2 carry games til later rounds, I have to believe that more real hoops might be played taking on a team like Air Force, or Florida State with Al Thornton and coached by Len Hamilton, or Clemson which was on a roll for awhile this season until a late faltering, than wiping the floor with Niagara or some of this year's NCAA #16 seeds.

Jackson State > Air Force?
Niagara > Syracuse?
Belmont > Georgia?

The notion of 66th best starts to fade when you look at some #16 and #15 seeds from the field of 65. But the BZ sarcasm in posting his opinion is not overlooked.

Rubbadub
03-20-2007, 06:54 PM
The NIT is a joke. Watching it, it's vaguely similar to what it would be like if the articles of confederation or an old president refused to go away after they were replaced. They're fighting for the 66th best team in the nation award...lol. If your argument is that more experience in big time games will help smaller schools, then they should expand on their preseason NIT idea...since its a tournament that still matters in the college basketball landscape. Also the fact that some of the schools in the NIT are better than 16 seeds in the ncaa tournament only means that the ncaa tourny needs to be changed around a little bit.

Its understandable that you would like to see more gu games before the end of the season but noone was calling for gu to go to the nit before the indiana game (are you saying they should turn down an invite to the ncaa tourny? :lmao: ) and nobody on the board really conceded that gu couldnt make a run deep in the tourny until after the indiana game. One and done in the ncaa tournament against a team better ranked than you is more noteworthy than winning the nit anyway.

bigblahla
03-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey BZ, meant no offense by my post above. Bad blahla's attempt at humor.

I love a good game of roundball whether it's on a playground, high school, college or whatever. I've enjoyed some of the NIT games and maybe this years Zag team would have got some home games and still be playing but I'm glad they made the NCAA.

I'm old enough to know the history of the NIT and if the Zags hadn't made the big dance the NIT would have been fine with me.

Go!! Zags!!!

Asotin
03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Hmmm, has anyone heard or seen anything from the Iraqi Minister of Information since the fall of Baghdad? You know the one who was constantly on Iraqi TV telling the Iraqi people how the Iraqi army was crushing the american infidels? I think BZ may just be that man in hiding.

Bocco
03-20-2007, 10:11 PM
I think BobZag sucked us in with his "I prefer the NIT over the NCAA's" title. I read through this thread multiple times before his caveat at the end of his origional post sunk in ...."In future "transitional years when/if Gonzaga doesn't make the dance, I won't feel bad at all with the NIT, especially if we get a 1 seed."

You may just be right BZ I too might prefer the NIT in future "transitional years" versus one and done. The additional experience would be great for the returning players, especially if as you pointed out we got a number 1 seed.

sonuvazag
03-21-2007, 06:42 AM
I think BobZag sucked us in with his "I prefer the NIT over the NCAA's" title.

Very true. Provocative titles get more views and response. Post a thread with the subject title: "Gonzaga basketball going down in flames," and it will light up with indignant responses.