PDA

View Full Version : Things that have been missing

Zagsker
02-13-2009, 06:12 AM
Great use of Foster and Downs last night by Few

Thank you for pulling Gray when he made a half arsed effort for the loose ball in the 2nd half...if you don't hustle, you sit..good job coach Few

Josh...THAT is how you need to play every game, he was working his Windex and working in the post and let the 3 ball come to him instead of trying to get it

And overall defensive aggressiveness...from the get go you could see they were much more intense with the D...sure there were some lapses but overall they were closing out aggressively and trying to get hands in faces...Downs in particular seemed to be hustling big time on the D end....there was one play in the second half were two SM guards were going back and forth to each other on the wing and Micah kept hustling between both of them

GU32
02-13-2009, 07:02 AM
Thank you for pulling Gray when he made a half arsed effort for the loose ball in the 2nd half...if you don't hustle, you sit..good job coach Few

I don't think Steven played again after that. Does anyone else think the Zags should go back to starting Micah? Downs played really well in the Old Spice Classic, and Steven dosen't seem to mind coming off the bench.

cjm720
02-13-2009, 07:05 AM
I don't think Steven played again after that. Does anyone else think the Zags should go back to starting Micah? Downs played really well in the Old Spice Classic, and Steven dosen't seem to mind coming off the bench.

I prefer Downs' versatility off the bench and his ability to sub in for multiple positions. I'm a big Gray fan, but I think at this point you go with the hot hand. Keep up the great work Micah!!

GO ZAGS!!

NevadaZag
02-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Downs should definitely be starting. He has earned it and has had great hustle with RESULTS in the last two games. I'm really surprised he didn't start last night.

malmer7
02-13-2009, 08:29 AM
i've always been a fan of downs on the offensive end - but man did he show up on D last night too! those fouls, errrrr blocks, were great efforts and he and Josh together altered a lot of shots out there, great game on both ends - but i think you have to stick with what's working for him, bringing him off the bench as a sparkplug.

Zagsker
02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
but man did he show up on D last night too! those fouls, errrrr blocks

the block on the alleyoop was the best one

great anticipation on Micah's part

Zerogame
02-13-2009, 10:39 AM
In Gray's defense I think he was just gassed at that point. He didn't have control of the dribble for that whole sequence. Having said that, he hasn't shown up this season like last year. Big fan of Downs. Love his energy.

omahazag
02-13-2009, 10:49 AM
In Gray's defense I think he was just gassed at that point. He didn't have control of the dribble for that whole sequence. Having said that, he hasn't shown up this season like last year. Big fan of Downs. Love his energy.

You may be right about Gray. In past games, Gray has always seemed to give 100%. However, Coach Few must have seen it for what it was and appropriately yanked his butt. If anything, it sent a clear message to the rest of the team that anything less that 100% is not acceptable.

siliconzag
02-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Appears to warm up as he gets more minutes. He does not appear to be a microwave type player (Dumar of the Pistons comes to mind). I think he needs to build up a head of steam.

I have long favored giving him the starting nod. If he underperforms after a reasonable warm up, he can be yanked. He is not the prototypic come off the bench knid of player.

He plays with more fire and passion than most of the guys I think. And he rebounds better too. He is underutilized. And his defense is reasonably solid (for a Zag).

Sili

FuManShoes
02-13-2009, 11:21 AM
I was personally hurt by Steven's play. Not 4 hours earlier had I defended him against brazen attacks on his aggressivenes. And how did he reward me - with a benching for a lack of effort! I still love his game and his demeanor and think he'll go down as a Zag great when all's said and done. And I don't think it's unreasonable that he could turn out to be a hero for the Zags this season. That benching may have flipped the switch.