PDA

View Full Version : Zags win

GoZags
02-12-2009, 10:11 PM
Despite all the chemistry problems, all the facial expressions/body expressions, the porous defense, the faulty coaching decisions/non decisions, the poor officiating, the good officiating -- Gonzaga won tonight..... in fact they held SMC to under 40% shooting (they were at 45% for the season entering tonight's game).

Nice victory for the good guys (who opened up ostensibly a 3 game lead in the WCC -- as they swept the Pilots).

SpudDawg
02-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Right on, GoZags. We won. Now 9-0 in WCC.

former1dog
02-12-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, but who cares. Who's ahead in the Josh Heytvelt fouled or not debate? :D

(jk)

Thanks for the perspective Gozags!

El Voce
02-12-2009, 10:23 PM
We didn't always play well tonight, but we always played hard. Road wins at St. Marys are hard to come by for the Zags. The crowd is pumped, the home team is pumped, and it is never easy.

The Zags' confidence had to be at an absolute low point after getting hammered by Memphis. It has to be much harder to go on the road to regain your confidence. We had just enough in the tank to outlast the Gaels tonight. It was a good win.

As GoZags noted, this win pretty much sealed the deal for another WCC regular season championship. Some on this board pooh-pooh winning the championship, but I would wager that any Zag player (past or present) would tell you just how hard it is to win year after year when seven teams are gunning for you.

Reborn
02-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Congrats go out to the Zags for a tough win. Way to NOT give up guys. Zags were not as tough as they need to get, but they were much tougher than I've seen them in a while. We were punching back tonight, and Josh and Matt were landing heavy shots.

Good game by the Zags. Playing at St. Mary's is as tough of a place to play for the Zags as any. This was like Utah and Arizona but we won. Saint Mary's had not lost a home game this year before tonight. Saint Mary's played tough, and shot well from the 3. Got to give some credit to them for not giving up. I hope they get into the tournament. You know that if they had beaten Gonzaga tonight that they probably would have gotten in. They played like their lives depended on winning, so I really give the Zags credit for pulling out a very very tough game. BZ had it spot on.

I was so impressed with Josh and Matt tonight. Those were two tough Zags, and I thought Will Foster really stepped up. Josh and Matt were just so determined. Matt missed the free throws but got the ball back for the Zags on excellent defense. He was on that guy like glue.

We are still turning the ball over too much for this time of year, and again our rebounding was horrible. WE lost the battle of the boards by 9. One way to correxct this is playing Will more. When he's in we rebound well. I thought when he and Josh were in together we looked pretty good.

The Zags are getting the ball into Josh more down low finally. Josh shot 14 free throws. That's pretty darn good, and he made 11 of them which was real good.

McZag
02-13-2009, 03:26 AM
The expectations have GOT to be kept in check. Great to have this win in Moraga. This is one to build the rest of the season on .

Das Zagger
02-13-2009, 07:41 AM
It was gutty. They could have folded when SMC cut it close in the last few seconds and they didn't.

It wasn't the prettiest game but this isn't a beauty contest is it?

BobZag
02-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Despite all the chemistry problems, all the facial expressions/body expressions, the porous defense, the faulty coaching decisions/non decisions, the poor officiating, the good officiating -- Gonzaga won tonight..... in fact they held SMC to under 40% shooting (they were at 45% for the season entering tonight's game).

Nice victory for the good guys (who opened up ostensibly a 3 game lead in the WCC -- as they swept the Pilots).

Yup.

lothar98zag
02-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Also, who cares if Mills played or not. GU was 1-3 the past 4 years @ SMC. Mills was only around for last years game, so somehow SMC was able to beat GU 2 other times @ home w/o Mills. These days a road win vs SMC is a very rare event and I'm glad GU got one, no matter how it happens.

bballbeachbum
02-13-2009, 03:15 PM
I'll take it!!! Like John Madden says, if there's a game that's not a big one, tell me before we play.

They're all big, especially on the road, especially in a place where we've lost recently, especially coming off of a loss, especially vs. SM..........I oculd keep going.

This was a big game W for us.

GO ZAGS!!!

GoZags
02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
Zags win. 10-0. Any win is a good win. Any road win is a great win.

RenoZag
02-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Zags win. 10-0. Any win is a good win. Any road win is a great win.

QFT

Reborn
02-15-2009, 12:18 AM
I think this was the sequel to "Zags Win" on Thursday night. The sequel may or may not have been as good. As BZ has said before, Sequels are usually not as good, but are often fun to watch. The ending was a little better for the Zags, as we had Austin Daye going 5-6 from the line. I thought this showed much better judgement by the Zags. The Key is the Zags won on the road, and some bloggers here on the board just don't understand how difficult it is to win on the road. They can't understand how great most teams play at home most of the time. Look how Arizona dismantled UCLA today. I thought Arizona played much the same game against us. They are great at home. UCLA is not so great on the road.

I am just glad we survived this weekend without a loss. For some expectations may be a little "high."

The Zags played good. Pargo and Daye had strong second halves. Goodson was great. Josh was alright. I mean he was 5-6. Downs was 2-2 from behind the 3. Pargo was 2-3, and Goodson 2-2. It's not like we played horrible. I mean we made 9 threes, and shot 50% from behind the 3 pt line, and 62% from the field for the night. That's good. Defense was not good, but maybe we give a little credit to the Dons for some outside grit and excellent shooting from behind the 3. The game may have been more fun than beating them by 30.

Let yourself relax and enjoy the games.

vaboris
02-15-2009, 12:30 AM
Yeah I gotta give the Dons a lot of credit. Played hard all 40 minutes. They only dressed 8 players and their fans gave them a well deserved standing O as they left the court.

Zag79
02-15-2009, 01:41 AM
for a team with so many issues, they are on there way to an undefeated season in the wcc. like hardly any of the zag teams before them could. they might have more in them than you think, see ya in the sweet 16 people!

zagnut52
02-15-2009, 03:01 AM
Great effort by Dons, and a good road win for Gonzaga. SF put up a good fight.