PDA

View Full Version : Free Throws cost SMC the game.

Zag 77
02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
We were a little lucky. Our 20 for 29 at the line (69%) was barely enough to beat their 13 for 23 (56%). Guys, if we had made our free throws in clutch time, we would not be chewing off our fingernails down the stretch.

Zag 77
02-13-2009, 08:09 AM
Main culprit for the loss by SMC. Lucky for us he was only 6-12 at the FT line. The only facet of his game that is weak, and it is one glaring reason why he won't be WCC POY until he fixes it.

Robzagnut
02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
3 for 8 down the stretch when trying to protect a lead... completely SUCKS!

Last year it was a glaring weakness for Memphis and it cost them the national title when they blew FT after FT against Kansas. It's going to come back and bite GU in the ass in the tourney unless it's addressed. Or take Pargo out of the game and have Grey, Downs and Daye handle the ball in 'must foul' situations.

BobZag
02-13-2009, 08:42 AM
A tainted win, 77.

zag944
02-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Ball never lies :)

Baldwinzag
02-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Whatever happened to the old adage, "A wins a win"?

Lest we forget that fouls, no-calls, missed FT's, injuries, etc are a part of the game of basketball?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_85u47YjZK3A/R4dh_MXZ-RI/AAAAAAAADgU/VEv6ptt_cCw/s320/be-rational-get-real.gif

Zag 77
02-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Maybe it is better to be lucky than good, but like I keep saying, if we don't get serious about our FT shooting, it is going to bite us big time.

Baldwinzag
02-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Maybe it is better to be lucky than good,

Before the game, many were saying we have a good chance to lose at SMC and now that we won a tough road game, people are saying we're lucky. Does it ever end?

If anything, I think St. Mary's was lucky to even be in the game considering we didn't make our FT's down the stretch either. It works both ways.

vandalzag
02-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Just wondering Zags were lucky that SMC missed, but SMC had no fortune in Zags missing at the end allowing them to stay close. Also no gifts involved in the brutal shooting fouls called in the first half.
I also wonder how the Zags were not serious about shooting FT's. Do you think they do not know that FT's are important. They seemed serious, as did others but one can never tell what is in the head of others. Maybe they are not as serious as the people on this board, but than again that bar is set pretty high.

Luck good and bad is part of the season, why harp on it.

Zag 77
02-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I also wonder how the Zags were not serious about shooting FT's. Do you think they do not know that FT's are important. They seemed serious, as did others but one can never tell what is in the head of others.

If they are not serious they don't fix the problem. These fellas get what, 30k worth of scholarship a year? Either you spend the time and practice to become an excellent free throw shooter or you don't.

If it takes shooting 5 million free throws to get proficient, then that is what you do. This is a perfectable human activity. Either you choose to do what it takes to master the skill, or you don't.

Shooting free throws does not require superhuman talent. Golfers can appreciate the analogy to the skills of their game.

jim77
02-14-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't think 5 million would help SHAQ...that is painful to watch.

4AmericasTeam
02-14-2009, 06:41 AM
Maybe it is better to be lucky than good, but like I keep saying, if we don't get serious about our FT shooting, it is going to bite us big time.

Absolutely -- free throws down the stretch are simply the final deciding factor in most close games. Practicing them does improve the problem -- this I can say from 45 years of playing and coaching. During the season, 25-50 free throws every day from each player after running line drills or interspersed with other conditioning drills is one way to do it. Obviously the coaches know this, but what are they actually doing about it? Keep harping "77" because you are right on.

vandalzag
02-14-2009, 07:05 AM
I also wonder how the Zags were not serious about shooting FT's. Do you think they do not know that FT's are important. They seemed serious, as did others but one can never tell what is in the head of others.

If they are not serious they don't fix the problem. These fellas get what, 30k worth of scholarship a year? Either you spend the time and practice to become an excellent free throw shooter or you don't.

If it takes shooting 5 million free throws to get proficient, then that is what you do. This is a perfectable human activity. Either you choose to do what it takes to master the skill, or you don't.

Shooting free throws does not require superhuman talent. Golfers can appreciate the analogy to the skills of their game.

You should be talking to the coaches 77. They must not be taking FT's seriously either. They must not be asking the boys to practice the FT's, it is so obvious how could they miss it?
I also think that since the coaches are getting paid 100k plus they should be required to read all of the posts on this site, every day. There is so much information here.

Zag 77
02-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Vandal, I would hope the coaches don't read these fan blogs.

You tell me then, why do we continue to have this FT problem when in Jerry Krause we have one of the country's greatest technicians on this dull and dry subject? They sure as hell don't need me to tell them they have a problem in this area. Surely they read the same stats and see the same things in games. I can only theorize that they don't think it is as much of a problem as I do, and they are happy to just "whistle a happy tune," and not deal with it, or at least deal with it as a minor matter.