PDA

View Full Version : Where is the chemistry?

quadcityzag
02-12-2009, 09:39 PM
This has been irritating me for years but we never have great chemistry. That needs to change and we need a guy with firepower. That is why I miss a guy like Pendo. Someone needs to tell these boys to get fired up and stop being so soft and lackadaisical. Wake up and smell the coffee guys, we are playing a basketball game. I think it all goes back to Few not being very motivate. Hes a great X's and O's coach and knows how to recruit well but fire up your players for crying out loud.

Another thing I want to touch on is our pathetic zone d. Every time we went to the zone they would hit a big shot. That can't happen. If the defense that was working earlier in the season worked, why isnt it working now? I really do think we have the potential to go far but we have to touch on some of these issues. Play Hard, Play smart, Play Together and Have Fun!! Stop worrying about all the other stuff just go out and play ball. Great Win tonignt Zags and lets start a new streak. If you can get to the aspects I pointed out then we should be fine.

GO ZAGS!!!

MedZag
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm beyond the point of worrying about things like this. Our team is what it is at this point of the season, and I'm learning to enjoy it.

That being said, the Zags showed a lot of guts tonight. Not an easy win in Moraga, at all. Gaels fought tooth and nail to the end.

TheZagPhish
02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm beyond the point of worrying about things like this. Our team is what it is at this point of the season, and I'm learning to enjoy it.

That being said, the Zags showed a lot of guts tonight. Not an easy win in Moraga, at all. Gaels fought tooth and nail to the end.

+1

JAGzag
02-13-2009, 02:54 AM
I'm surprised to see little comment about having Will and Josh in the game together. This looked like a great lineup and totally shut down any Gael inside game. Aside from that, we faced this problem last year where it just doesn't feel like the gang is clicking. Might not mean much.

EngineerZag
02-13-2009, 06:43 AM
We are perfectly capable of playing with good chemistry -- but I think that the pattern this season has been that it takes playing great defense as a team in order to get the offense going. We've been at our very best offensively ("clicking") when the defense has been strong, like the last several minutes of the game last night.

tobizag
02-13-2009, 06:48 AM
i believe that would be hughes hall you are looking for.

malmer7
02-13-2009, 09:04 AM
We are perfectly capable of playing with good chemistry -- but I think that the pattern this season has been that it takes playing great defense as a team in order to get the offense going. We've been at our very best offensively ("clicking") when the defense has been strong, like the last several minutes of the game last night.

good call here, the D is definitely the key to our offense "clicking" in my opinion as well.
there's no doubt that our half court motion offense looks disjointed (this year and last) and i agree with some posters that say it's because of lack of leadership, especially at the point. i think that when meach is at the helm full time next year this will improve - pushing the ball like dickau and stepp used to do on a every trip up the court. i'm not blaming pargo, it's just not as much his style.
the key is to get that chemistry at the right time, say 3-4 weeks from now and we're golden!

Reborn
02-13-2009, 09:14 AM
I saw great chemistry last night. I saw the guys really pulling together, and pulling for one another. I saw the guys fighting together and making some good stops. The game didn't have to be that close. But it was. That is what makes this rivalry so good. Zags missed too many foul shots at the end, and the Gaels make a couple of incredible 3's.

I saw the guys beginning to get the ball inside to Josh more, and Josh beginning to look like a low post player. I felt he really took it to Samhan. I like the fact that Josh shot 14 free throws. I see that as team work, and good chemistry.

Every game has it's own story. I felt this one was very good. If someone turned this game into a book I would love reading it. Zags had lost 3 of the last 4 games at Saint Mary's. St. Mary's had not lost there this year. Yes. They were without Mills. And, yes the Zags were a little wounded after a horrible game against Memphis and we all wondered how they would respond. This game was more important for the Gaels because a win may have gotten them into the NCAA tournament. Now they may have to win the WCC tournament. But a hard fought loss against the Zags without Mills may also convince the Committee that they deserve to be in. I think we will have to wait and see how Mills plays when he comes back.

Even though the Gaels gave everything they had to get the win, the Zags would NOT hand it to them. We had enough fight in us to pull this one out. We missed free throws at the end, but overall it may have been free throws that won it for the Zags. The Gaels did not shoot good from the line. They may have outrebounded us but they turned it over more than we did.

Great game. A good team. How good? Who know. There are a lot of games left.

ZagSlug
02-13-2009, 09:19 AM
A choppy game with lots of fouls called that disrupts the game and doesn't exactly help the teams chemistry.

MDABE80
02-13-2009, 09:58 AM
Fans, refs, St Marys, all generated a crazy environment last night. The kids pulled away at the end but SMC didn't quit or walk away. In that atmosphere with all the interruptions ( like Sluggo says), I thought the kids did fine.I'm not sure how anyone could say much about chemistry......lol.it was just insane. Kids survived and that's about it. Josh at 20-10......where he should be. Well done! Move on!!!

gamagin
02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
the finer points or even the quality of the lighting (excellent, btw) in the middle of a bare knuckle street fight, especially when one side is desparate, has the entire crowd on its side and is feverishly trying to survive & revive its season.

You just keep swinging till the bell rings, or the cops show up, and then run like hell.

And that's about what we did. The chemistry was in there just enough to pull it off, imo, and I am all for more of it as we wend our way through the WCC and beyond.

El Voce
02-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Gamigan -- Did you check your messages?? The Voice bet against a sweep of SMC, and wishes to pay his debt promptly!:)

LongIslandZagFan
02-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Through 2/12, in other words before last nights game...

Zags are #1 in the country in FG% Defense... you don't get that way by being a bunch of un-inspired individuals.

Zags are #21 in the country in TOs per game... but yet the few TOs they do commit get dissected, stepped on and spit on here.

Zags are #22 in the country in Assist to Turnover ratio... you don't get there by being selfish.

Just thought I'd throw some actual facts into the mix, rather than nitpick a team that is #9 in scoring margin and has only lost 5 games and outside of Memphis, none of them were double digits.

The only reason half of you are finding faults in this team is because you set the bar impossibly high in your expectations. They "good old days" were seasons with more losses than this team is likely to finish the season with. Getting to the dance and winning in the dance is all that matters in the end. Relax and actually try to enjoy a win by the Zags every once in awhile.

bballbeachbum
02-13-2009, 01:55 PM

+2

winning a game on a defensive possession is sooo awesome to me, on the road no less; almost pulled that off in Utah, too.

Just keep fighting. Jimmy V, man, never, ever, ever give up! and put yourself in a position to win...then you got a chance.

Three observations

1. If Josh can continue to peak over these final weeks of his GU career, just really go for it and lay it out there every game however it may fall, like he did last night, I like our chances. That one drop step move where he got hammer fouled going to the rack got him going, imho. We need him, he knows it, and really played like it. He can do it.

2. Three dribbles for each free throw might be all Matt needs...gotta slow down just a little there, and that one dribble routine might not be giving him what he needs, imho again. Easy adjustment, straight from the text book...do everything the same, except take three rhythm dribbles instead of one to set the tone, settle in, and dominate that free throw line one shot at a time. He's improved so much across the board, not ripping him at all, but he has room to improve here, and he can do it!

3. Up 4 in the 1st half, Matt finished beautifully, was fouled for the and 1...yet was called for the O foul. Big moment, would have put us up 6 with a chance for 7, a Mighty Mo crescendo, but instead they had us tied within 2 possessions. Uneven officiating can be a bane of our conference, of any game anywhere, but the key is to not let it determine the outcome, our outcome...it is ALWAYS to be overcome, period. It has to inspire more intensity and resolve, not the opposite. No excuses, man.

It's about being right when it matters most, and then freaking going for it all out, all in.

Enjoyed the victory.

Next up , USF.