PDA

View Full Version : Gotta call Few out on the last...

former1dog
02-12-2009, 09:27 PM
... inbounds play for GU at the end of the game.

I love Pargo, but our worst free throw shooter (amongst the starters) should not be getting the ball tossed into him when the obvious play for St. Mary's is the foul.

MedZag
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Made one more than Bouldin.

Dunno. Maybe it didn't bother me because we really don't have a clutch FT shooter.

former1dog
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Made one more than Bouldin.

You're right... Kinda hard to make free throws with one hand on your throat... I'm kidding, I'm kidding (sorta)

MedZag
02-12-2009, 09:33 PM
You're right... Kinda hard to make free throws with one hand on your throat... I'm kidding, I'm kidding (sorta)

Zing! ;)

johnwzag
02-12-2009, 09:33 PM
MB 2-6 tonight JP 5-6 tonight.

Everytime I think I am smarter then Mark Few, I get proved wrong.

zagirl2k
02-12-2009, 09:34 PM
i just wish we would have at least one rebounder on the blocks for those missed free throws (well I wish they weren't missed) but 1 on the blocks and 3 guys back should be sufficient to at least make them work for the rebound a little.

BoZarth
02-12-2009, 09:38 PM
How much better off we'd be if you were the coach.

Radbooks
02-12-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm just glad they got the ball inbounds. It doesn't always work out the way the coach draws it up. :)

former1dog
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
How much better off we'd be if you were the coach.

Dude, chill, its just an observation.

WRHUradio
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm with 1dog- I was screaming the same thing, but mostly my rant was directed towards not having Steven Gray on the floor there. He could be the teams best FT shooter and can handle the ball and is tall at 6'4 to go up and catch a pass if he had to.

I was worred Gray was injured but then I saw him on the postgame handshake that was relieving, so it mustve been Coaches Decision that Gray did not see much time at all in the 2nd half and Few didnt want to put a cold player off the bench in there.

Understandble reasoning but just something that if I was coaching the team I wouldve chosen differently

If everyone is available and GU needs the best FT shooters out there you gotta put out Josh, Austin, Micah, Bouldin for sure and then the choice I think was Pargo over Gray.

cjm720
02-13-2009, 07:02 AM
I was worred Gray was injured but then I saw him on the postgame handshake that was relieving, so it mustve been Coaches Decision that Gray did not see much time at all in the 2nd half and Few didnt want to put a cold player off the bench in there.

I think the most entertaining part of last night's game was the benching of Gray. I've never seen an old dude run so fast. I think Few could have beat Meech in a foot race...as he sprinted down the bench while pointing at Micah to replace Gray (for a series of very silly ball handling mistakes...which cost Gray the rest of the game).

GO ZAGS!!!

vandalzag
02-13-2009, 08:08 AM
The mistakes were not the issue, it was the lack of hustle after the loose ball. I would venture a guess that there is something wrong with Gray, either illness or injury. Because the way he just watched that ball was totally out of character.

DADoZAG
02-13-2009, 08:15 AM
The inbounds play to your point guard should be the right move. Of course, a true point guard at this level would have taken the ball and dribbled away from the defense instead of standing there and waiting for the foul.

Vizagra
02-13-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't understand why Few gets blamed for who a player passed to. It is kind of like blaming a coach for the QB throwing to the Tight End instead of a reciever...The coach draws up the play. The players are supposed to get open, if Pargo was the only one to do this you pass it to him. I mean, you have to get the ball in, right?

Zag365
02-13-2009, 08:20 AM
Of course, a true point guard at this level would have taken the ball and dribbled away from the defense instead of standing there and waiting for the foul.

You got that right.

And I also agree with the earlier post wondering why we didn't put anyone on the blocks to rebound free throws (esp. since SMC had four players on the blocks - which means they couldn't easily fast break even if they got the rebound).

kitzbuel
02-13-2009, 08:23 AM
I would rather have the ball safely in-bounded to Pargo with a shot at free throws than a turn over on the in bounds ala Hunter there at the end. Turn-overs did SMC in.

DADoZAG
02-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I've been reading this board for some time, and just now got the guts to post. 'Haven't figured out how to insert quotes yet.

In regards to the comments on having players in the blocks for FT's, with the way the two older refs were enjoying their wistles, Few may have been concerned about a quick foul against the Zags.

BobZag
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Gotta call Few out on the last...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seattle_Zag
02-13-2009, 08:46 AM

I love Pargo, but our worst free throw shooter (amongst the starters) should not be getting the ball tossed into him when the obvious play for St. Mary's is the foul.

:lmao:

I thought you hated Pargo. He was better than everyone else on the floor last night at the free throw line. Key word last night.

I like the move. I don't think it was intentional to get him the ball, though. I am pretty sure Few didn't draw it up that way, but the players found him. That's why I like it. I think that was a big step in getting his confidence back.

adoptedzag
02-13-2009, 08:47 AM
I've been reading this board for some time, and just now got the guts to post. 'Haven't figured out how to insert quotes yet.

In regards to the comments on having players in the blocks for FT's, with the way the two older refs were enjoying their wistles, Few may have been concerned about a quick foul against the Zags.

DOWN WITH LIBBY! :mad:

Gufan
02-13-2009, 08:50 AM
its likely that SMC was told to d-up on every zag and play loose on pargo to avoid a run out for a dunk and also allow the zags to inbound the ball to the worst free throw shooter by percentage on the floor. I'm sure few didn't draw up a play to put jeremy on the line, nor was he bouldins first option. smart d by SMC

malmer7
02-13-2009, 08:58 AM
i was fine with the play - what i love about our team is that i would have been just as comfortable with any of the 5 guys on the floor getting the ball in that situation. with the exception of a few bench players (maybe ira and will), i would have taken any of our boys at the line at that point, as long as we got the ball in safely i think it's a well drawn up play.
i actually was pretty happy with few's coaching last night, good bounce back from the memphis game, especially our D, forcing them out of their game and into putting up deep 3's (that just happened to go in, even if the backboard was necessary)

edcasey
02-13-2009, 09:06 AM
every designed in bound play has priority 1, priority 2 and option 3....on this las tplay I wasnt in the huddle so I have no idea what the options were and what the order for the "read" was.

Try to balance the priorities by who is best historically in tough situations hitting free throws, who is overall best free throw shooter and who is "hot" that evening.......

putting players on the foul line in those situations can also CAUSE you issues by ticky tack fouls of which it seemed all night long that the zags were getting called for the touch fouls and the last thing you would want is a small push or slap foul on the rebound......I prefer to have my kids in defensive position unless we have "fouls" to give but that is a philosophical decision during game time reality.

ZagSlug
02-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Zagirl2k posted my pet peeve. GU has always done this, it wasn't just for last night's game. Just one guy back there to stop the quick dribble up the court or maybe get an occasional rebound. I see it as low risk and high gain.

Putting someone back could take up a few more seconds and prevent a player from getting any up court momentum.

Not a big deal, just my pet peeve.

vandalzag
02-13-2009, 09:26 AM
Gotta call Few out on the last...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Concur it is getting harder and harder to differentiate the reaction of this board after a loss or a win. Former why do you have to call out the coach. Do you know what the play was, where the ball was supposed to go etc.... Should MB have risked a 5 second call (a habit of the past) trying to get to somebody who is not open. I believe the purpose of the inbounds play is to get the ball inbounds.