PDA

View Full Version : Is Austin's language fixable?

kclubfounder
02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Body and facial.

I sure hope so. It brings him down and I believe it brings his teammates down.

His body language when things don't go great remind me very much of my 3 year old. I hope they both grow out of it. Soon. Because I love them both and I want them to both grow up and be successful.

speed21
02-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Body and facial.

I sure hope so. It brings him down and I believe it brings his teammates down.

His body language when things don't go great remind me very much of my 3 year old. I hope they both grow out of it. Soon. Because I love them both and I want them to both grow up and be successful.

Are you serious!?!?!?! Have you not seen the last how many threads that have complained about Austin's expressions? Give it up.....thats who he is. You are not going to change it!!!! Seriously!!!! If he hasn't changed by now....he's not going to change it. If his expressions have changed the way his teamates have played, I think he wouldn't be playing. My rant is over!!

Go Austin!
Go Zags!!

johnwzag
02-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Are you serious!?!?!?! Have you not seen the last how many threads that have complained about Austin's expressions? Give it up.....thats who he is. You are not going to change it!!!!

That is silly. He is just a kid. Of course he can change it and it is up to MF to make it happen.

johnwzag
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Josh shows poise and maturity on the court, even when a call doesn't go his way. It's leadership by example and Austin can learm from the senior. I think Austin has improved greatly in this area since the start of the year and still has some seasoning to do.

it takes time

I really really like Josh's poise.

zag buddy
02-12-2009, 09:43 PM
After a called foul, Austin needs to focus his mind immediately on defense or the next play and not indulge his emotions on the past play. Austin you are going to get thousands and thousands of foul calls on you in your lifetime. You cannot afford the negative energy associated with indulging your emotions over bad calls etc which you cannot control.

GonzagaDynasty
02-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Austin IS getting better.. after a foul call, he complains a bit, then he raises his hands to show the foul was on him haha...

In all seriousness, If it brings down the morale of the team, we have a bunch of girls playing for us. No WAY does this bring down the team. micah does the same thing everytime he is called for a foul... Its just reaction. almost everyone that gets called for a foul they dont think they have committed does this..

Once and Future Zag
02-12-2009, 10:07 PM
I really really like Josh's poise.

He's almost frighteningly calm out there anymore - just goin' to work.. Though he's starting to let the beast slip out every now and then.

former1dog
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Would electro shock treatments work. We can give Few the button. :D

gobroncsgozags
02-12-2009, 10:24 PM
I actually really liked the emotion he showed after a big shot by Bouldin(?). I believe he was on the bench at the time. Bouldin hit the shot and TV went straight to a break. Daye was pumped and ran out to Bouldin. There are certainly good and bad things about having/showing strong emotion. He'll even out as time goes on.

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-13-2009, 01:34 AM
The best and the worst from AD today. At the start of the game he went right after Simpson. I liked the spirit, but really? Take it straight at the strongest part of their defense after he schooled you last game? The result of that was pretty ugly in the first half.
The last ten minutes were great though. Finally, AD finishes with some authority down low. Also some strong, athletic rebounds down the stretch and he even got on the floor and came up with a loose ball. In my opinion, if you finish strong, good game AD.

Zag2000
02-13-2009, 05:17 AM
It won't happen while he is a zag. Also, he's not a kid, he's a young adult. He may not reach the next level, so we may never see it. I'd stop worrying about it.

CTDeSmetZagAlum
02-13-2009, 05:35 AM
"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important that facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company [team]..a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I AM CONVINCED THAT LIFE IS 10% WHAT HAPPENS TO ME AND 90% HOW I REACT TO IT. AND SO IT IS WITH YOU...WE ARE IN CHARGE OF OUR ATTITUDES." -Charles Swindell

Austin is a sophomore, people say he is a 'young adult,' but when you have played ball for so long and things have always gone your way, it is tough to break that mold. Fouls happen - I hate when crowds call the 'BS,' but it part of the game. Not every foul is called, sometimes too many fouls are called, you cannot change the opinion of the referee crew. The only thing 'moaning' gets you is on the bad side of a ref's psyche.

Austin, it happens. It's your attitude you need to shape and fix- MAN UP!

cjm720
02-13-2009, 06:56 AM
After a called foul, Austin needs to focus his mind immediately on defense or the next play and not indulge his emotions on the past play.

Absolutely!

His expressions etc. are emotional reactions as a competitor. This overall is a good thing. However, he needs to understand that when he whines it momentarily removes him from the game, it slows his reactions for what must next be done on the court. Just like the driver that tailgates will tell you he's always in control, sh*t happens in split seconds and you need to be preapred and can't afford to remove yourself mentally from the game. We've lost 4 games by a combined 13 points (approx)...not to put any of that on Austin, but my point is that every play counts. He needs to understand this to become a better overall player.

GO ZAGS!!

kclubfounder
02-13-2009, 06:59 AM
Good one CTDeSmet. It's not just fouls and refs that cause his body language problems. It happens when he misses a shot or turns the ball over or gets beat by his man.

I noticed that great reaction after the big shot by Bouldin as well - and loved it. Lord knows I LOVE having Austin on our side.

I was a little hesitant in starting another thread about it, because it is true that much has been written already, but for some reason it really bugged the heck out of me last night as I keep waiting and waiting for it to get better.

CTD, it sure would be nice if Austin heeds your words in time for the tournament.

gamagin
02-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Josh shows poise and maturity on the court, even when a call doesn't go his way. It's leadership by example and Austin can learm from the senior. I think Austin has improved greatly in this area since the start of the year and still has some seasoning to do.

it takes time

frankly, the micromanagement of AD's facial ticks and constant interpretation of a very passionate young man's demeanor is missing his game. He has game.

Despite what we may not like about his body language, he brings many more dimensions to this team than the one (pick one) some may like least.

It's his baggage and he's learning to carry it. He's also turning in some great performances. Like when it counts. Like vs. smc despite a slow start. Away from the ball or with it, defensively and offensively.

except for the memphis game, AD has been the most complete player all season long, imo.

The furrow of the brow etc., by comparison, reminds me of those who say to a runner, "If it's is so much fun, why aren't you smiling while you run."

I other words, it reflects more on the critic, his failure to look at the complete pix vs. the snapshot, than the athlete, imo.

Go Zags !

Das Zagger
02-13-2009, 09:45 AM
He's almost frighteningly calm out there anymore - just goin' to work.. Though he's starting to let the beast slip out every now and then.

This.

He's just stoic, so much that it's weird, weird in the best way possible.

mendiant
02-13-2009, 10:17 AM
This.

He's just stoic, so much that it's weird, weird in the best way possible.

mendiant likes good weird and loves Josh's attitude on the court.

He emotes when appropriate and works his game.

I'm thrilled for his progress!!!

HillBillyZag
02-13-2009, 11:44 AM
You know we have put this kid under a microscope since he came on campus. As a father of four & grandfather of six I can tell you that all kids mature at different rates, On the whole, girls mature faster & earlier than boys. Austin's parents are class folks, they know and appreciate that his genes & God given talent will take him to the professional level if that is what he desires. What they also know is that he a a typical 19 yr old, trying to exist in a glass bubble that he did not ask for and enjoy the freedom of youth and seeking acceptance among his team mates and fellow students. I think they want him to receive the benefits of Mark Few's coaching and Gonzaga Universities teaching and values. He is decent young man and in my opinion will graduate with his class and succeed at any task he chooses, be it pro hoops or another pursuit.

bballbeachbum
02-13-2009, 02:53 PM
when I was 19, yikes...not very mature. We watch these kids develop right before our eyes, exposed and revealed right before us, warts and all, naked.

Yes, he is not a fully matured man, or player, whether physically or emotionally. At 19, neither was I, and that's putting it mildly! and some would argue that I am still not!

Cool. It's a development process, like with your kids. And everyone's on their own pace...sorry to pull that old one out, but it's true. Some are stronger here, weaker there, etc.

Just keep developing. That's the issue...and I think he is. He's getting tougher--clearly, there's still plenty of room for toughness growth both physically and emotionally, but it is happening, and it's his holy grail. He can do it.

All this NBA talk, the expectations of others, like the power conference-driven media, just bugs me. Jay Bilas can build'em up only to tear them down with the best of them. He's got an agenda, I say, and it's not to help us, OK?

Austin's a sophomore who has benefited and will continue to benefit greatly from a 4 year college career at GU, imho.

GO ZAGS!!!

Zag365
02-13-2009, 03:53 PM
I think AD has made significant progress in toning down the whining, facial and body language when whistled for a foul. What I didn't like last night was what looked on TV to be petulance with the ref on one of the crucial in-bound plays near the end of the game. Austin (as usual) was assigned to guard the player inbounding and (as usual) he crowded as close as possible. When (as usual) the ref asked him to back up a step he started jawing with ref. First, I'm thinking why is Austin making such a big deal out of it. Pulleezzz don't get "T'd" up or have the ref give SMC a break on 5 seconds to get the ball in or whatever. Second, I'm pissed because he's delaying the game (our guys who are manning up on the SMC players have to keep running with them while the in-bounds is being delayed and set up all over again). And, third, he's taking his concentration off the in-bound play and looking/talking to the ref.

Don't get me wrong. AD is one of the best in NCAAs at guarding the in-bound pass and there's no reason for him not to crowd the in-bounding player. But when the ref calls him on it, back up a little and get on with it.

sonuvazag
02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Don't get me wrong. AD is one of the best in NCAAs at guarding the in-bound pass and there's no reason for him not to crowd the in-bounding player. But when the ref calls him on it, back up a little and get on with it.

Is this not the same play that he essentially forced a turnover?

This thread is whining about whining.

If a player tends to be expressive or stoic, he should push the envelope in that direction.

Shanachie
02-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Good grief.

I have seen threads on this board complaining about Austin's reactions to foul calls (too demonstrative), Micah's reactions to foul calls (ditto), Pargo's expressions (too scowly), Pargo's hair (too Mohawky), Bouldin's demeanor (too stoic - though Josh's stoicism is being praised in this thread), Josh's screams after dunks (showing off), etc.

I know that some of these things can be real issues (if it impacts the next play, for example), but this particular dead horse has been beaten on this board since at least November. Few has addressed it when he thought it was a problem. Let it go.

:horse: