PDA

View Full Version : How bad are these refs???

theirishzag03
02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Those 2 blocks by Micah??? One, Simpson was pushing off with his off arm and still got the call!!! Ira playing straight up and getting 2 ticky tack calls... Made it to the 2nd half tied, after the Zags come out in the 2nd half NOT in foul trouble we will open up on the Gaels!!!

Will looks great!

Love that Few is using the WHOLE bench!!!

D Hark 2003
02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
those blocks were all ball, I like the what Lavin said, "that was a spalding sandwhich"

theirishzag03
02-12-2009, 08:24 PM
Holy Moly---How many steps did they let Lucas Walker take on that "and one" I saw at least 4!!! and then plowing into Josh....OMG! Man we are setting some soft screens too! We are making LAZY passes also!

brosco13
02-12-2009, 08:25 PM
these refs are bad... micah got two terrible calls in a row. I dont know whats worse these refs or walker's hair

JeffyJeff
02-12-2009, 08:27 PM
I didn't want to start this thread for fear of getting it pulled, but I am so glad you did, Irish. Horrible officiating. Josh just got called for a block when he had clearly established position, while Matt got called on a charge when the defense was sliding in front of him. The list goes on and on and on. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad.

SDzagster
02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
When Dave Libbey is part of the officiating crew, there is a good chance of a poorly officiated game - tonight is another. I have actually seen Libbey do a good job, but not tonight.

wiszag
02-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Not tough, lazy, not focussed, this team can't make it to the second round of the NCAA's, they have way too many holes. I've never witnessed a team that makes so many stupid mistakes. I can understand a lack of talent but I can't understand a lack of intensity and a lack of effort. I don't care if they beat St. Mary's, if Mills was healthy, GU would've lost by 20.

krozman
02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
I agree that calls have been bad, but on both ends. I think the foul by Josh at the 3 point line was pretty clear too.

theirishzag03
02-12-2009, 09:23 PM
Could go either way, but as a "point of emphasis" ...if the offensive player initiates the contact they are not supposed to call it. That was pretty close though.

Moot point if we focus and hit our "end of game" FTs. I hope that is NOT the one thing we learned from Memphis-

Our end of the game execution was the only thing worse than the officiating.

former1dog
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Refs made awful calls and awful no calls both for and against each team. That should have been a foul on Josh when the St. Mary's dude made that 3 point banker.

johnwzag
02-12-2009, 09:24 PM
It evened out in the end when they did not call that foul on Josh - on that crazy 3.

Baldwinzag
02-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I don't care if they beat St. Mary's, if Mills was healthy, GU would've lost by 20.

:lmao: :lmao:....breath....:lmao: :lmao:. Sorry, but I'm so tired of this excuse that I couldn't help but laugh.

johnwzag
02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Not tough, lazy, not focussed, this team can't make it to the second round of the NCAA's, they have way too many holes. I've never witnessed a team that makes so many stupid mistakes. I can understand a lack of talent but I can't understand a lack of intensity and a lack of effort. I don't care if they beat St. Mary's, if Mills was healthy, GU would've lost by 20.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

GU69
02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
I was expecting Libby to call a technical on somebody in the final 10 seconds. So, in a way, I was relieved that he actually let the game go and didn't take it over and change the result.

RenoZag
02-12-2009, 09:37 PM

Yeah, that game sure lacked intensity. . .weren't nearly as exciting as . . .oh, NASCAR

zag buddy
02-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I believe if the foul was called on Josh, the other player had not started his shot, so the basket wouldn't of counted. They would have got the ball out of bounds I believe.

TheZagPhish
02-12-2009, 09:40 PM

Ooh! I love speculative fortune telling! Here, let me try... If Mills would have been playing Pargo would have upped his game to such an extent that the Zags would have blown them out by 43! No, seriously! Ira! would have had seven dunks alone, three of which would be SportsCenter Top 10 Plays! It would have been incredible!

StocktonIsMyHero
02-12-2009, 09:41 PM
I believe if the foul was called on Josh, the other player had not started his shot, so the basket wouldn't of counted. They would have got the ball out of bounds I believe.

Um... you're kidding, right? Josh ran into him as he was going up. It was clear as day.

But it was a no-call so there's not much else to say about it other than to just be thankful and figure it's karma returned for some bad call against the Zags in the past or present.

vandalzag
02-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Contact initiated by both players....The shooter actually jumped more into Josh than josh into him....the no call was the best call of the night.

vandalzag
02-12-2009, 09:46 PM

20 we would have lost by 50...Mills is the second coming

JeffyJeff
02-12-2009, 09:47 PM
The last 10 minutes of the game were called MUCH better than the first 30. I have to admit with much chagrin that the officiating got better, right up until Josh wasn't called on the SMC banked-in 3. That should have been a foul - before the shot or in the motion of shooting is debatable. Tough win for the Zags, particularly difficult because of the erratic whistles for the first 3/4 of the game.

Parting shot: Ira was robbed! Sad to see that bad officiating and horrible calls got him the early fouls. Love it when he is in the game - sad to see him absent in the second half.

StocktonIsMyHero
02-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Contact initiated by both players....The shooter actually jumped more into Josh than josh into him....the no call was the best call of the night.

Wow... people can't even admit GU got a break on that call?

How long have we been watching basketball in our lives? I'm assuming many. When the person defending a three-point shot flies into the body of the shooter, generally the foul is called. Even if the shooter whips out a leg (Reggie Miller's trick) or is jumping forward - it's called a jump shot for a reason. That wasn't initiating contact, it was taking a shot.

Just be thankful and move on.

GonzagaDynasty
02-12-2009, 09:55 PM

How long have we been watching basketball in our lives? I'm assuming many. When the person defending a three-point shot flies into the body of the shooter, generally the foul is called. Even if the shooter whips out a leg (Reggie Miller's trick) or is jumping forward - it's called a jump shot for a reason. That wasn't initiating contact, it was taking a shot.

Actually, recently, When the shooter jumps INTO the defender, like in this case, the refs have been either calling it an Offensive foul, or a no call. They are tired of seeing players do that BS. Good NO CALL IMO.

Baldwinzag
02-12-2009, 09:55 PM

Seriously Stockton? If you want to go there, you could pose a solid argument that Josh's contact actually caused that miracle 3-pointer to go in. I'll give you Josh made contact and he could have been whistled, yet I'm not so sure that 24-foot bank shot would have gone in otherwise. Why are you so focused on this call anyway? There were numerous calls that should have been whistled far before Heytvelt's slight body brush.

gobroncsgozags
02-12-2009, 09:58 PM
If we want to get technical, it also looked to be a travel on the shooter.

StocktonIsMyHero
02-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Why are you so focused on this call anyway? There were numerous calls that should have been whistled far before Heytvelt's slight body brush.

Why that one call? Oh I don't know... maybe because they could have tied the game?

People are misunderstanding me anyway... remember, the game was on the road with Dave Freaking Libbey calling the game. Gonzaga was very fortunate to get the no call, especially given that there is no question there was contact.

johnwzag
02-12-2009, 10:00 PM
You have not watched enough basketball if you do not think that was a 4 point play. He was in the act when he went up and made a beautiful recovery to continue the shot.

It evened out. The game was called fairly well in comparison with last year.

johnwzag
02-12-2009, 10:01 PM
If we want to get technical, it also looked to be a travel on the shooter.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

former1dog
02-12-2009, 10:02 PM
Why are you so focused on this call anyway?

I don't know about Stock, but personally I just like things to be fair. That was a critical no call as the the resulting free throw could have tied the game and made everything different.

Listen, Josh jumped into the guy while he was in the act of shooting because Josh bit on the shot fake previously. Its not an indictment of Josh, a lot of players would have bit on that fake, it was a good fake. The made shot was obviously lucky but the no call was a bad one.

If you're fair minded, you've got to at least consider that it was a bad call.

There were lots of them in the game, I agree.

johnwzag
02-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Sorry - Not even close. Watch the replay.

vandalzag
02-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry - Not even close. Watch the replay.

Sorry just did I guess I must not have watched enough basketball....Josh did bite, but the shooter jumped into him. Good no call, but very shocked that Big Game Dave did not make the call.

Baldwinzag
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
Was it a perfectly called game. Absolutely not. Was it a fairly called game. It depends on your perspective.

Would you have felt better about the win or loss if they called the foul on Heytvelt? If they had, couldn't you argue that Micah's two fouls were clearly clean blocks? Those two "controversial" calls on Micah allowed four "free" points for St. Mary's. They wouldn't have been in a situation to win the game without those unfair calls.

It works both ways, folks. Refs are trying to limit deciding games in the final seconds and they did just that.

GonzagaDynasty
02-12-2009, 10:12 PM
A decent officiating crew will NOT call that a foul in that situation.. He DID get Josh in the air, but He initiated the contact. He jumped into josh. Good NO call.. End of story.

TheZagPhish
02-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I think we all just agreed. Who wants cocoa?

FieldHouseFishHouse
02-13-2009, 01:17 AM
If Heytvelt had bumped a straight up shooter, that is a foul.
If Heytvelt gets caught in the air, and the shooter takes advantage shooting/moving toward the basket, that is a foul.
If the shooter jumps to the side to initiate contact and then shoots the other direction, that could go either way.
As a Zag fan, good no call.
As a basketball fan, the way the game was being called, it would have been more fitting, more consistent, to blow the whistle.

Zagsker
02-13-2009, 05:57 AM

Heytvelt did not initiate the contact....the guy pumped and then jumped into Josh.....he actually even threw his side into Josh to make even more contact

Great no-call

Zagsker
02-13-2009, 05:57 AM
A decent officiating crew will NOT call that a foul in that situation.. He DID get Josh in the air, but He initiated the contact. He jumped into josh. Good NO call.. End of story.

exactly

LongIslandZagFan
02-13-2009, 06:16 AM
I'd have to say that IMHO Josh dodged a serious bullet. He was by no means set with his feet. What likely saved him was to overtness of the forced contact on the shot. If the SMC player had been more subtle about the motion he may have gotten the call.

tobizag
02-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Um... you're kidding, right? Josh ran into him as he was going up. It was clear as day.

But it was a no-call so there's not much else to say about it other than to just be thankful and figure it's karma returned for some bad call against the Zags in the past or present.

i for one am glad that call was left alone, and yes, i would say the same thing if it was our player hitting the shot. that move of getting a guy in the air and then leaping into him drives me crazy. yes, josh should have stayed on the ground, but the offensive player initiated the contact by leaning forward entirely out of shooting position, and got lucky with the banked in junk. in my book, the offensive foul called on diamon simpson is the same move, where he jumped entirely out of his way to make body contact with josh.

this may have been the one call libby got right last night.

zag944
02-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Usually when a defender leaves his feet a shooter can jump into him to initiate contact and draw a foul. I think its dumb, but it happens commonly enough that I was suprised it wasnt called for Josh.
Hell, NBA players prone to getting calls will kick their feet forward to initiate contact and get the call. I completely unnatural movement to get a bad call and go to the line. Kobe is the best at it.

zag944
02-13-2009, 07:01 AM
When St. Marys was inbounding the ball with like 6 seconds left, the referee yelled at Austin Daye so loudly it was comical. "THATS A WARNING!" then motioned for him to stand farther away from the inbounder

cjm720
02-13-2009, 08:17 AM
Those 2 blocks by Micah??? One, Simpson was pushing off with his off arm and still got the call!!! Ira playing straight up and getting 2 ticky tack calls... Made it to the 2nd half tied, after the Zags come out in the 2nd half NOT in foul trouble we will open up on the Gaels!!!

Will looks great!

Love that Few is using the WHOLE bench!!!

We got lucky with the non-call on the SMC 3 at the end of the game. Horrible NON-call, but I'll take it! Yeah those fouls on Downs were stupid.

GO ZAGS!!