• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Analysts - A diverse bunch

So many differing opinions in Zagville nowadays. I think these Zags have everybody confused with their inconsistency.

During the Gameday Show, Hubert Davis predicted Memphis would beat Gonzaga, but added that he thinks Gonzaga will make the Final Four.

In today's chat, Jay Bilas says, "Good team that can play. But, not a Final Four team, and I never thought they were."

Now between the L'ville-ND and UCLA-ASU games, Fran Fraschilla says the Zags, if they compete tougher, are fully capable of winning 3-4 games in the NCAA Tourney.

No wonder everybody is at a loss. Even the "experts" are all over the place with these Zags.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • zag buddy
    Banned
    • Dec 2007

Their problem is their information gathering. They should come here and we would enlighten them.

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by zag buddy View Post
      Their problem is their information gathering. They should come here and we would enlighten them.
      lol, definitely.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• pbriz
        Professional Zag Fan
        • Apr 2007

My perspective

Although these Zags are hard to predict, I think a lot of people are missing a crucial point and that is experience.

Criticism can definitely be directed towards our seniors but experience means A LOT in the NCAA tournament. Just look back at the previous NCAA championship team and how we compare:

2008 Kansas:

-Darrell Arthur/Julian Wright and Josh Heytvelt Austin Daye: All are "post" players that don't seem to man up to competition but ooze with potential.

-Sherron Collins and Steven Gray: both great shooters, both streaky, but both can hit some shots in clutch (remember Gray's FT's against Santa Clara)

Brandon Rush and Matt Bouldin: both can drive, shoot, do a little of everything. Solid all around players.

Russell Robinson and Jeremy Pargo: not great shooters but ulta-althletic.

Don't believe check the stats:

Julian Wright/Darrell Arthur: 21.8 ppg combined, 12.5 RPG combined
        Austin Daye/Josh Heytvelt: 27.6 ppg combined, 13.8 RPG combined

Sherron Collins: 9.3 PPG, .404 3 point percentage
        Steven Gray: 10.2 PPG, .340 3 point percentage

Brandon Rush: 13.8 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 2.0 APG
        Matt Bouldin: 13.3 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 3.1 APG

Russell Robinson: 7.2 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 4.4 APG
        Jeremy Pargo: 9.5 PPG, 3.7 RPG, 5.4 APG

Kansas had experience and failure in the tournament... one of only a few 2 seeds to lose in the first round. Both ultra-talented, both had underachieved in the past.

Kansas did have one player that was an X factor though and that was Sasha Kaun, a true center who was absolutely vital in the NCAA tournament. We need our Sasha Kaun who put in 5.9 PPG and 3.8 RPG, just enough to put Kansas over the top...... could Sacre come back and be our Kaun.... only time will tell.

I am not saying we are as good as Kansas last year, but we have the potential and it's time we started seeing this. Let's take it to SMC, let's run the WCC and let's show the nation that this isn't a team of spoiled potential. It's time that we start flexing our might. Let's go boys, make Zag nation proud-we all know what you are capable of.
        It's F4 or bust.

Comment

• Reborn
          Zag for Life
          • Oct 2007

It is perhaps the oddest year ever in NCAA basketball. It's a farse to try to figure these games out. The clearest thing I can see is that it's been very tough for teams to win on the road. I think if Gonzaga can begin to do this it is making a very strong statement. Only the best teams right now are winning on the road. And there are some. That's why I loved that Zag win at U of portland. WE showed great toughness in that game that's for sure. I'm looking for that kind of toughness tonight too.
          Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• MyZags
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
            So many differing opinions in Zagville nowadays. I think these Zags have everybody confused with their inconsistency.

That's one thing all Zag fans can agree upon!

Hopefully we can agree that we have 7 more games to get it together.

Comment

• MississppiZag
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • May 2008

Sacre is important to the puzzle. I would love to see him tonight, but dont want to get my hopes up.
              "I enjoyed watching them play more than watching us play," Izzo said after watching his team eke out a 75-71 win over Gonzaga. "I thought they punched us in the mouth, picked us up and punched us in the mouth again."

Comment

• johnwzag
                Zag for Life
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by BobZag View Post

During the Gameday Show, Hubert Davis predicted Memphis would beat Gonzaga, but added that he thinks Gonzaga will make the Final Four.

In today's chat, Jay Bilas says, "Good team that can play. But, not a Final Four team, and I never thought they were."

Now between the L'ville-ND and UCLA-ASU games, Fran Fraschilla says the Zags, if they compete tougher, are fully capable of winning 3-4 games in the NCAA Tourney.

No wonder everybody is at a loss. Even the "experts" are all over the place with these Zags.

My thoughts exactly BZ.
                When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

• johnwzag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2008

Originally posted by MississppiZag View Post
                  Sacre is important to the puzzle. I would love to see him tonight, but dont want to get my hopes up.
                  Sacre has hardly played at all. I would not put too much pressure on the guy.
                  When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep - not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

• MedZag
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Agreed. Everyone is looking vulernable at the moment. It will be interesting to see if any teams gain significant momentum into March but right now it looks like there aren't any teams we could run into in the tourney that would be a guaranteed knock-out. I think that's what have the talking heads at a loss... This team has enough talent to knock off nearly anyone in a one-on-one matchup, has shown it can compete in important games (WSU, Tennessee, UConn, St. Mary's), and has seemed to improved significantly on its defense, but has also shown the ability to choke (Portland State, Utah, Memphis) and some serious deficiencies (rebounding, stopping the break, etc).

I think the reason you see such divergent opinions and expectations about this team, even on this board, is that they've given evidence to nearly every argument. They're tough, they're fragile, they play great defense, they're inconsistent, they are talented.

Who knows how the rest of the season will end up? I sure as heck don't.
                    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
                    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• btzag
                      Bleeds GU Blue
                      • Feb 2007

I think outside of 5-6 teams the rest of the country is wildly inconsistent. Xavier loses yesterday for the second time in conference, Wake goes down again, Louisville gets beat by 30+ by a terrible ND team, etc, etc...

I think all of us on this board know a little too much about the Zags and so we magnify their inconsistency in our minds. However, these Zags are just like about 300 other teams in the country, except we are more talented than most which should serve us well the rest of the year. Could be one and out or put together a nice run. My money is on a nice run to make us forget about some early season losses.

Comment

• theirishzag03
                        Kennel Club
                        • Jan 2009

Bardo Comments during NW-Ill game

After the cut-in to show Heytvelt warming up... Bardo was asked if he was surprised at the result of the Memphis-Gonzaga game. His answer seemed to come easy, NO... Not that they lost but that they were down so much in the 2nd half and that they came out that flat at home. Also called them Fragile, his counter (Terry Gannon) part said that in his opinion the Zags were a Final Four level team on paper, but that we just didn't seem to be "together." Bardo commented that on paper we match up with nearly ANY team in the country!

Echos a lot of poster's opinions on this board. At least the ones who recognize we have the TALENT and look at the UConn game rather than a (USC vs. Oregon State football) type effort game against Memphis.

My take? Time to gel, get on a roll, and turn this "on paper" team into reality!

"Life is GRAND....Divorce about 100 Grand!!!"
                        "Shin= A device for finding furniture" Woody Paige

Comment

Working...
                        X