PDA

View Full Version : If You Were A Star Recruit. . .

RenoZag
02-07-2007, 07:56 PM
. . .Which factor would be most important to you in choosing your school?

Academic Offerings
Success of Program
How Soon I Could Play
Location, location, location
TV Exposure for my games

Zag79
02-08-2007, 07:38 AM
success. easily. if im that good i dont care about the education, location, or exposure as long as we are champs... :cool:

meadgrad02
02-08-2007, 09:54 AM
I would probably say the success/tradition of the program. With success, comes TV exposure. If you're a star you'll get your share of minutes.

TexasZagFan
02-08-2007, 01:27 PM
RZ,

Who recruited you for Zagland? I'll never forget when Major Phelps visited me. In the middle of class, the principal's secretary told my teacher that "a representative from Gonzaga University was here to discuss enrollment with TZF, and would it be possible to excuse him for the remainder of session?"

Within several days of being notified I'd won the scholarship, I started receiving packages from schools. Over the next month, I received over 60 invites.

So what turned me towards Gonzaga? Primarily school size and location (it was 900 miles from home). Major Phelps was a factor, too. The man was a great recruiter: Airborne Ranger, medals galore, extremely likable. He was a great Freshman advisor, and a superb teacher of military history.

Ranks as one of the best decisions I ever made.

RenoZag
02-08-2007, 03:52 PM
TZF:

My choice to attend GU was one of the best decisions I ever made also.

I was a 17 y.o. looking to get as far away from home as possible and away from an extremely contentious relationship with the parents. . .so location was a factor.

I had been accepted at UC Davis (in part, due to the ROTC schollie) when a GU cadre made an appointment, paid a visit, left a great first impression, and the rest was history. I told UC Davis' ROTC guys "no thanks" I'm heading to Gonzaga.

When my dad dropped me off at the entrance to Cath-Monica in Fall 1975, that was the first time I laid eyes on the place.

I believe the cadre member was Major Mott. Airborne Ranger, etc, chest full of salad. . .by the time I got to campus, he was undergoing medical treatments for a serious illness. COL Duffy was the PMS at the time.

RZ

TexasZagFan
02-08-2007, 04:13 PM
TZF:

My choice to attend GU was one of the best decisions I ever made also.

I was a 17 y.o. looking to get as far away from home as possible and away from an extremely contentious relationship with the parents. . .so location was a factor.

I had been accepted at UC Davis (in part, due to the ROTC schollie) when a GU cadre made an appointment, paid a visit, left a great first impression, and the rest was history. I told UC Davis' ROTC guys "no thanks" I'm heading to Gonzaga.

When my dad dropped me off at the entrance to Cath-Monica in Fall 1975, that was the first time I laid eyes on the place.

I believe the cadre member was Major Mott. Airborne Ranger, etc, chest full of salad. . .by the time I got to campus, he was undergoing medical treatments for a serious illness. COL Duffy was the PMS at the time.

RZ

MAJ Mott was a good man...not a screamer or hard-ass like so many that we ran into.

How could I ever forget COL Duffy? I can now reveal that I won the competition in my class ('76) for "Best Facsimile of COL Duffy's Signature". When Kamiya found out about it, he turned white! :D Plus, I still have a seat cushion purchased during 74-75 (junior year).

Too bad you missed out on COL Boyle as PMS (Frank and John's Dad). The man was awesome...ran a great program, and always had plenty of beer at every ROTC function. I think about CPT/MAJ/LTC Chapman every time I see "The Green Berets" on TV.

RenoZag
02-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Duffy could dress a person down with a look that would chill your blood.
I watched him chase a cadet down the hallway from the AD basement to the ROTC annex; the cadet was in tears and Duffy was telling him he was never going to graduate, he would never get a commission. . .and the cadet (who needn't be named here) was one of the most gung-ho, pro-military, pro- Army guys I ever came across while in GU ROTC, a guy who had done Airborne and Ranger school before he was a junior. . .all he wanted out of GU was a four year degree, a Regular Army commission, and the opportunity to do 20-25 years on active duty in the infantry. How much more gung-ho could one guy be ? And why was Duffy after this guy? Because he rolled a 2.0 in the third quarter of his senior year.

Yeah, Duffy was a beaut' all right.

And even though I turned out to be a left-winger, the ROTC & Army experience-- combined with my GU education-- deserve most of the credit for the successes I've had since becoming a civilian in 1986.

Hope you survive the tax season OK, TZF. . .it has to be a bear this time of year.