PDA

View Full Version : Did The Zags Really Miss on a Marquee Win?

BobZag
02-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Okay, let's say Gonzaga beat Memphis in Spokane. Memphis' best win was Tennessee, their second best win was Cincinnati. Every big game they played, they lost: Syracuse, Xavier, Georgetown.

What would've made the win so big? So marquee? Would it have been RPI? Utah is just a few spots below their RPI.

So, what would prevent the detractors from claiming, "Well, you beat Memphis, so what, they're no good, you know, like Tennessee and the rest of your wins, and you beat them in Spokane to boot."

What was the great marquee win thing about beating Memphis? Thoughts?

HOOTER
02-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Memphis is clearly better than anyone else the Zags have beaten. Sure, there are always those who will question Gonzaga's schedule, regardless of who they beat, but Memphis is better now then when they lost those games you mentioned and a win against them would have been huge. I know you're trying to put that game in perspective, considering there are many who aren't over it yet (including me), but nothing can change the impact that loss had on this team, and the impact of a win would have been equally as significant.

J-Lo
02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
If we are going to say that it would not have been a marquee win had we pulled it out, then the implication is that Memphis is not that good of a team to begin with.

The problem I see is that we then lost to a sub-marquee team. Losses on home courts to bad teams can hurt more than a victory over both a sub-marquee team or a marquee team. If you're expected to win (and saying Memphis is nothing special would imply that we ought to have won) and you lose, that smarts.

Especially come tournament selection/seeding time.

zagfan1
02-12-2009, 10:59 AM
It was widely talked about on ESPN about how successful it was for Calipari moving Evans to the point for Memphis and how it has made a tremendous impact in terms of the team and the success that they have had. Essentially, they have been undefeated ever since the change was made.

Gonzaga beating a hot Memphis team would have communicated two things.
One, being that Gonzaga indeed has the talent and horses to make it to a final four. And two, the perceived cupcake WCC schedule that GU has played has had no impact to the team and they are really prepared and geared to go far into the tourney.

BobZag
02-12-2009, 11:01 AM
I'm referring to Zag-haters and detractors. What would prevent their argument from being valid?

Make no mistake, I wanted a win as much as anybody.

J-Lo
02-12-2009, 11:02 AM
Gonzaga beating a hot Memphis team would have communicated two things.
One, being that Gonzaga indeed has the talent and horses to make it to a final four.

Damn.

And two, the perceived cupcake WCC schedule that GU has played has had no impact to the team and they are really prepared and geared to go far into the tourney.

Double Damn.

StocktonIsMyHero
02-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Bob... come on now, really?

Gonzaga has beaten one NCAA Tournament team so far this season - Tennessee. Maybe Arizona can sneak in, but Maryland? Oklahoma State? Washington State? Very unlikely. And with Mills out, St. Mary's may be toast as well.

Just wait... we're all going to hear this stat plenty of times: "But Gonzaga has only beaten one tournament team." During seeding talks, leading up to the games themselves, and God forbid in the doomsday scenerio involving the Zags losing in the WCC tournament.

A win over Memphis would have given the Zags a win over a ranked team, a win over a team that is likley a top 3 or 4 seed, a win over last year's runner-up... you're kidding yourself if you don't think that would have been Gonzaga's best win of the season.

former1dog
02-12-2009, 11:12 AM
What would've made the win so big? So marquee? Would it have been RPI? Utah is just a few spots below their RPI.

Memphis would absolutely have been a huge win as they would have been the best team we would have beaten on the year. Memphis did have some losses, but they had made adjustments since those losses and I think most informed viewers realize that Memphis is much better now than they were earlier in the season.

CDC84
02-12-2009, 11:18 AM
You don't need a marquee win to make the NCAA tournament. You just need to beat a certain amount of good teams. Where marquee wins matter is when it comes to seeding.

ZagMania
02-12-2009, 11:20 AM
RPI would've made it a marquee win. Sure Utah is close in RPI but we didn't beat them..

Zagsker
02-12-2009, 11:20 AM
You don't need a marquee win to make the NCAA tournament. You just need to beat a certain amount of good teams. Where marquee wins matter is when it comes to seeding.

good point

HOOTER
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
You don't need a marquee win to make the NCAA tournament. You just need to beat a certain amount of good teams.

You don't need any wins at all to make the tourney, except conference tourney games. Marquee wins are strictly for seeding, which is crucial if you want a decent chance at making a deep run.

cjm720
02-12-2009, 11:34 AM
My take on BZ's post is that no matter who we play, win or lose, someone on this board is going to b*tch about it.

Personally, I think a "marquee" win against Memphis would have been way more about confidence for the team rather than implications for RPI, rankings, or seedings.

GO ZAGS!!

gamagin
02-12-2009, 01:27 PM
my dad used to say, so and so "would complain if you hanged him with a new rope." complainers don't run this board as far as I can tell, try as some may.

re memphis: I expected us to be competitive. In the hunt. Challenging as well as challenged. And so forth and so on. We did none of the above. we tanked on our biggest test of the year. so far.

But the great news is the future is entirely in our hands. Under our control.

And that marquee opportunity we let pass by will be short history if we pull it together, concentrate, start fresh, take all the lessons of the season so far to heart, and play like there's no tomorrow.

Go Zags !

BobZag
02-12-2009, 02:44 PM
Good answers. I know Memphis woulda been big. Just wondered what others would say about beating a team (Memphis) who has only really beaten just one tourney team--Tennessee. Gonzaga woulda then beat two tourney teams, not just one.

Okay, onward to SMC.