PDA

View Full Version : Catch 22

theirishzag03
02-11-2009, 09:55 AM
When people called us Cinderella some took offense when our run continued. "The slipper still fits" started to annoy some fans who pointed to our new found success and our "play anyone, anywhere, anytime" attitude.

Even most of the pundits or experts don't even mention us in "Mid-Major" conversations unless they refer to us saying we no longer are one!

So, here is my question....

This board seems to be divided into 2 types of posters-

1) the very loyal Zag fan that just likes to root for the Zags and misses the days of being an underdog, defends players, coaches, and anything else. As one poster cleverly put it... "The little train that might" It is a fun feeling to have, and there is NO RISK of being let down or emotionally empty after a big loss.

2) the 2nd group had a taste of Elite 8, had visions of even the Final Four or yes, even a national championship. This group has noticed a very steady increase in talent- (Jimmy Tricco comes to mind) prized recruit coming in, transferred because by the time he got here he wasn't going to get the PT.
http://goduquesne.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tricco_jimmy00.html

This group can relate to being a Yankee fan lately (granted the Yankees HAVE won titles) but lately realize buying or aquiring talent alone does not guarantee wins. Frustrating as it is.

I would say this group is more likely to enjoy the story..."The little train that should!"
This group feels a let down and emotionally empty after a big loss. This group looks at the UConn game and sees we ARE close to #1 when playing well, NOT at Memphis to ground our expectations.

I will always be a Zag fan, but have to admit I fall into the 2nd group, as most can tell by reading some of my posts.

With an Elite facility, Elite talent, and an "Elite" coach should come ELITE EXPECTATIONS!!!

229SintoZag
02-11-2009, 10:01 AM
You are never standing still--always either going backward or forward.

I still believe the best is yet to come for Gonzaga basketball. I have been disappointed with this team's apparent lack of heart.

23dpg
02-11-2009, 10:06 AM
My thoughts to the second group.

How highly rated are our recruits? One year Gonzaga had a class rated 11th by one of the publications. I think the other recruiting service had the same class rated 25th. That's it. There has never been another class that was recruited to GU that ranked anywhere in anyones top 25....ever.

Our highest prized recruit, Daye was ranked about #30 or so in his class. North Carolina usually has a couple in the top 20, same with UCLA and the other big boys.

Maybe group one sees this and realizes how incredible this ten year run has been.

BTW, I don't long for the days of the underdog. I like being well-regarded.

gamagin
02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
you forgot the most important, third category:

turds like you who don't understand the meaning of a post, paint their own picture, with themselves as the new hero of the future in the middle of it, and call for all the other turds to huddle together in the new punchbowl and guard against the perceived, poor, yet honest, folk who just can't see quite as clearly as you.

sincerely,

McZag
02-11-2009, 10:36 AM
[QUOTE=gamagin;364039]you forgot the most important, third category:

turds like you who don't understand the meaning of a postQUOTE]

The only turd I see in this thread is the one hangin out of gamagin's mouth.

Put me in the first group. This is amatuer sports we're talkin' about. The vast majority of these kids aren't going to the next level and "gittin' paid". BBall wise, they're trying to play well enough to make a Euro team while they get their degree. The only expectation I have is that they play hard every night out. If perks and luxuries are the problem, make the kids dress in the old kennel and put their butts on a bus to CA. every other week.

77Zag
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
I smell this thread going south fast ---