PDA

View Full Version : What I Expect Thursday

BobZag
02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
SMC will come out swinging. They'll be seeking revenge. A win for SMC, in all likelihood, puts them back into the NCAA Tourney and they know it. The Gaels beat the Zags before Mills was there, the Gaels will try to do it again, and Bennett will convince them they can do it.

Gonzaga had better mean business down there.

I expect the Gaels to play to their strengths, and that means pounding the ball inside to Simpson and Samhan. Winning the rebounding battle will be crucial for them, too, particularly offensive rebounds. I expect their guards to just start shooting away, firing treys at will. If one gets hot, it might become contagious, and the Zags would be in trouble. They will play damn hard and they will be aggressive. Bennett will likely crank up the D to keep the score low and give his offense a better chance at keeping up.

Gonzaga's answer: Get after it on D, deny the post as much as possible, force turnovers and be efficient on offense. Gonzaga should pressure and try to overwhelm whoever plays the point. Perimeter D cannot be mediocre. But most of all, the Zags will absolutely have to be tough yet smart. If the Gaels play overly aggressive and over-play, exploit it, ie, backdoors, drawing fouls, pick and roll, etc.

It will be a very hard-fought game. The Zags simply can't take any plays off or start cruising at any time. Momentum will be big. Few should call TO the first time SMC makes two baskets in a row, especially if they're treys in short time.

The Zags will need to focus.

jim77
02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Agreed Bob.

They are still only a 4 loss team.....and to beat us WITHOUT Mills would put them back in the hunt. The crashing the boards stuff needs to start Thursday. GO ZAGS!

dim4sum
02-10-2009, 06:32 PM
The guards have been vastly out of position on many three point attempts.
Please bag the zone, just once, and go man to man the full game. Steven, especially, seems bewildered by screens and spends a good part of many games just trying to find his man. It's a tragic flaw for an otherwise gifted player.

gamagin
02-10-2009, 06:36 PM
I hope our lads are pissed and loaded for Gaels.

Reborn
02-10-2009, 06:48 PM
I expect Gonzaga to play a great game. One we all will be proud of. A game much like the one at Portland. Gonzaga, as all have said, are after the WCC crown. Winning the WCC is more important than beating Memphis. I thought about that a lot, and asked myself at one point (before the Memphis game) if I'd rather beat Memphis or win the WCC? MY answer was win the WCC. The Zags put a lot of energy into the UNI of Portland game, and may have drained the Zags emotionally. I thought the Portland game was our best of the year.

Now it's back to the WCC, and going after the crown. I expect Gonzaga to be all over St. Mary's. We will beat them worse than we did in the K2. We did very good against Samhan last time, and I expect us to do the same this time. Simpson dominated Austin last time and I expect him to do so again. He will kill Daye, but he can not dominate a game in the way that Mills could.

The Key for the Zags will be shooting the ball with accuracy, and passing (under 12 turnovers). If we shoot as bad as we did against Memphis we are in trouble. We NEED to play at a fast pace, and press and play tight man to man as BZ said. THIS IS NOT A GOOD SLOW IT DOWN TEAM. Yes. St. Mary's will try to slow it down. Will we appease them, like we did Memphis? Or will we play the kind of ball that led us to all our victories this year? In short, will we be outcoached again? MY answer is no. Our coaches are to good. They will have the Zags ready by Thursday, and will have a great game plan.

zaguarxj
02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Few should call time-out as soon as they get 2 offensive rebounds in a row and sit anyone who wasn't going to the glass like they were defending their little sister's honor.

Zag79
02-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Few should call time-out as soon as they get 2 offensive rebounds in a row and sit anyone who wasn't going to the glass like they were defending their little sister's honor.

its tough to rebound out of a zone defense. this is a huge reason we struggle with rebounds. The team we start now is small too. our 3rd best rebounder is on the bench and needs to play more than gray at this point. next year gray can start, until then we need micahs athleticism length and rebounding skills to get deep into march. our 3 guard lineup is obviously the main factor in getting outrebounded against most of the BCS schools we play. gray and bouldin are not what i would label leapers considering the shorter pargo rebounds with them all day. josh, daye, MICAH, bouldin and pargo is the lineup that wins games against the big, athletic teams. gray is a great player and i think hes going to be something great, but this years team needs micahs skill set more.

NotoriousZ
02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
a win. If they hustle and show some damn pride out there. I haven't read much of the commentary from the board until tonight (since the pain on Saturday). But I think this kick in the face is just what we needed. We played a nearly flawless game against a tough Portland team and we were feeling invincible (at least I was).

Back to reality. I honestly believe we can handle a team like Memphis if we come in with desire and the right game plan. There's no way I'd expect to win the battle of the boards against certain teams without Sacre helping us out, but there are other things you can do to win a game besides rebounding and we didn't do any of them. Sorry I turned this into another crappy Memphis game thread, but if our team doesn't come to play on Thursday...well I think they'll bounce back and make us proud again.

Go Zags!

UberZagFan
02-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Few should call TO the first time SMC makes two baskets in a row, especially if they're treys in short time.

Never happen.

siliconzag
02-11-2009, 06:10 AM

I like this metaphor. Brilliant xaguarxj. Brilliant.

Sili's prediction: Gonzaga 85 St. Mary's 72.

Zagsker
02-11-2009, 06:50 AM

Ditto on that...

the message needs to be sent

BobZag
02-11-2009, 08:55 AM
The Zags can't afford any no-shows, either. Everybody, from the top Zag to the thirteenth Zag, needs to bring it.

No disappearing acts.

dim4sum
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Austin, don't pout
Jeremy, don't scowl
Steven, no inappropriate laughter.
Matt, no bewilderment.
Micah, no "it wasn't my fault" looks.
Josh, no camping out in a pup tent outside the key.
The above is all a key to losing.
Positive body language is needed on all fronts--and we win.
Bad ref calls, bad shots, turnovers,etc. Banish them from your collective heads on the next trip down floor. Don't let past errors linger. Play like your mind is a magic slate, lift the page and the old bad thoughts are gone.
El Shrinko

JohnOGU
02-11-2009, 11:12 AM
I was amazed at how much worse SMC is without Mills. i dont think itll be a problem. Without him, they're the forth best team in the WCC

Robzagnut
02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
My greatest worry?

GU is going to have a 'Memphis Hangover' like their 'UConn Hangover' and come out listless like they did against Portland St.

With past teams I never had to worry, but with this one...

Baldwinzag
02-11-2009, 11:27 AM
Reborn, you bring up an excellent point.

I get sick to my stomach considering the possibility of pulling another "Portland State" against SMC. I'm sure the team is a bit down and understandably so, but its time to move on and show there is still gas left in the tank. I'm fully aware we have a chance to lose to a very good team in a hostile environment, yet I must admit I'll be at my wit's end if they come out listless and effortless against a major conference foe such at SMC. Every part of me firmly believes they won't commit such a Anti-Zag crime, yet if they do, my patience as a Zag fan might go out the window;) . I can handle a loss to St Mary's on the road, but only if we play with fire, hustle, and heart.

DixieZag
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I guess I join the chorus in stating that I believe they will come out with fire in their bellies and chips on their shoulders, I really was a believer after the Portland game, I thought we had turned the corner and could not have been prouder of our effort. I have said it over and over, and as yet no one has agreed with me, UP could have beaten a lot of very good basketball teams that night (including some ranked teams)-- I expect the same type of effort against SMC. The way they have been playing (lost by 17 to SCU) we should beat them easily, but as BZ has noted someone we have never heard of ALWAYS gets hot in our games in Moraga, and I know better than to count on a win.

The good thing about college basketball is that the kids still control their future, they can take last weekend and learn from it and toughen up "gel" or they can pout and point fingers. A successful season (league title, tourney bid and a few wins) are still within their realistic hopes, time to step up.

BobZag
02-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't foresee a hangover like there was following the UConn loss. That loss was a crushing blow, a huge win that got away and never should have. It was a heartbreaker.

Otoh, the Memphis loss was a rout and, while very disappointing, it just doesn't have that crushing, heartbreaking element to it.

The Zags played mostly great ball and should have beat UConn, and that hurt because they played darn good. The Zags were never in the Memphis game and they know they played poorly, and I'm pretty sure they'll be out to redeem themselves. There was never anything to be embarrassed about or to redeem one's self after UConn.

theirishzag03
02-11-2009, 03:24 PM
That coach Few did NOT notice that IRA was the ONLY player that kept Simpson or Samhan out of the paint! Watch that game again- Simpson is too strong for Micah or Daye, and Samhan is too strong for Josh. The only success the Zags had defensively was when Ira was on the floor. He needs to log 25-30 minutes. We have PLENTY of pure scorers, we need a strong, tough defensive-minded "man" on the floor tomorrow!

As soon as Ira was on Omar, Samhan was taken out of the game. Ira fronted him, was quick to out position him, and knocked the ball away from behind. He also muscled him out of the key. Simpson is the toughest matchup, but If Ira is guarding Samhan, Josh can use his size to negate some of Simpson's skills. A lineup with Austin, Josh, Ira, Jeremy, Micah would really be an athletic and long one. Plenty of scoring. I am sure Few won't start this lineup, as Bouldin WILL start, but look to these 5 guys on the floor together at some point.

Baldwinzag
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
As soon as Ira was on Omar, Samhan was taken out of the game. Ira fronted him, was quick to out position him, and knocked the ball away from behind. He also muscled him out of the key. Simpson is the toughest matchup, but If Ira is guarding Samhan, Josh can use his size to negate some of Simpson's skills. A lineup with Austin, Josh, Ira, Jeremy, Micah would really be an athletic and long one. Plenty of scoring. I am sure Few won't start this lineup, as Bouldin WILL start, but look to these 5 guys on the floor together at some point.

Nice observation Irish. Couldn't agree more about Ira logging more mins versus SMC. It was evident he had an immediate impact when he went in the game. As good a defense as Ira played, I thought Josh did an outstanding job fronting Samhan and denying the entry pass as well. Ira and Heytvelt need to stay on the floor to limit their strength and touches down low. Those two need to establish their will in the paint.

ZagNut08
02-11-2009, 04:04 PM
I expect ZagNut08 to rush the court after a dominating performance by the zags

BobZag
02-11-2009, 04:27 PM
I expect ZagNut08 to rush the court after a dominating performance by the zags

Glad to hear ZagNut08 will be there! Represent, 08, represent. :)

And the staff watches film over and over till they're bleary-eyed in the wee hours so I'm fairly sure they notice things that fans see after one or two viewings. Fairly sure about that.

Vanzagger
02-11-2009, 04:46 PM
That coach Few did NOT notice that IRA was the ONLY player that kept Simpson or Samhan out of the paint! Watch that game again- Simpson is too strong for Micah or Daye, and Samhan is too strong for Josh. The only success the Zags had defensively was when Ira was on the floor. He needs to log 25-30 minutes. We have PLENTY of pure scorers, we need a strong, tough defensive-minded "man" on the floor tomorrow!

I agree. Ira brings some nice tools to the work bench. Get him some regulay shifts.

theirishzag03
02-11-2009, 05:03 PM
Glad to hear ZagNut08 will be there! Represent, 08, represent. :)

And the staff watches film over and over till they're bleary-eyed in the wee hours so I'm fairly sure they notice things that fans see after one or two viewings. Fairly sure about that.

I guess this is what frustrates me at times. I know they watch, so I hope tomorrow they prove they noticed, what myself and others did.

BobZag
02-12-2009, 09:46 AM
I think we can all agree more passion and hunger is a must after the last game. It's easy to tell on this board that a lack of fire, passion and effort is what is truly gnawing at Zag fans, not necessarily the loss.

Looking for a 180 degree change in that vs SMC.

HillBillyZag
02-12-2009, 11:45 AM
I think it all boils down to which Zag team shows up, the one who nearly beat UConn or the one that quit versus Memphis. All things equal Gonzaga should beat St. Marys by 5-10 even at their place. But the result as Fr. Tony says:
"to be determined at a later date".

theirishzag03
02-12-2009, 04:12 PM
I think we can all agree more passion and hunger is a must after the last game. It's easy to tell on this board that a lack of fire, passion and effort is what is truly gnawing at Zag fans, not necessarily the loss.

Looking for a 180 degree change in that vs SMC.

180 degrees, heck yeah turn up the HEAT!!!:D

McZag
02-12-2009, 06:33 PM
180 degrees, heck yeah turn up the HEAT!!!:D

Nailed it Irish

:clap: :clap: