PDA

View Full Version : My two cents...

Zag79
02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I stayed away from the board so i wouldnt feel like i had to respond to all the whiny, negative, player bashing posts and would now like to add some thoughts. First of all, Pargo was not nearly as bad as some of you that dislike him act like he was. Yes he had the 5 TOs but he also had 4 assists which is more than the rest of our team put together. He didnt shoot well 1-6, but its easy to clog the lane like Memphis did when the Zags are not able to hit wide open threes and no one else is moving. As for Josh, he played hard and was almost the best player out there for us. He shot 50% and grabbed 6 boards. Its hard to grab more rebounds when your going against 2 or 3 guys from the other team. Micah needs more minutes. Period. Im not sure where the love fest with Gray came (no knock on gray) into leaving MD out for the season but it needs to change. Micah is one of the few players we have who has the skills AND body to compete with a team like Memphis.

Ive also heard from a couple sources (ex zag players) that Few wanted to slow it down on offense seeing how the Tigers have a harder time playing against set offenses. I think that was a mistake, as i watched our guys that normally slash, cut, pick, etc stand around the 3 point line and pass, pass, pass. Where was the attacking the rim? The problem was our offense. Not only do i feel Few messed up by slowing it down too much, i really believe he has a hard time deciding on a lineup that works. I wouldnt want any other coach, so dont think im bashing Mark. Ive been a long time poster, and try to be fair to everyone but i really think he plays too many people and not enough time for each guy. Memphis had 3 guys play play almost 40 minutes, and they were the best players for the Tigers. We have too many guys that play 25-29 minutes a game. How do you get in a rythm? How do you stay focused? How does the team get in a good groove or chemistry? We have too many guys playing, and no one is really getting enough time to get a role on this team.
To me all of the above feeds into the opinions of those who believe its always a heart or hustle reason when the zags lose. Maybe, just maybe Cal outcoached Few. Maybe our plan on offense backfired, making the guys seem zombie like. Yes we lacked some fire, but from a guy watching it live and seeing every zag game i think there was more to it than that. I dislike the zone against our WCC foes but im all for it against Memphis or Tennessee. The posts about our D make me smile seeing as Memphis only scored 68. I do believe this team will go deep in march, and this game wasnt the end of the world but we need to learn from it and fast.

BobZag
02-10-2009, 05:55 PM
We have a game in 48 hours. A win probably means up by 3 games in the WCC.

As for Memphis, like The Who said:

"Gonna break it,
Gonna shake it,
Let's forget it, better still."

Zag79
02-10-2009, 07:00 PM
couldnt agree more BZ! i just felt the urge to say some things about the game since i had to stay away from here after the game. ;) im ready for the next game for sure!

snebzag
02-10-2009, 07:14 PM
79, I agree about Micah, he was the only hot hand against Memphis, but couldn't get a shot or didn't take one in the second half. Bring him in earlier I think. If the tempo is not going your way early, substitute fast. Micah and Meech. Just a game to flush down the toliet in our minds. I too had to back off, chew some gum, comb my bald head and look forward to a WCC regular season sweep.

2wiceright
02-10-2009, 11:18 PM
You summed it up perfectly... (great perspective!)... tired of the total negativity- we still have a good team and a conference to win!!

Everybody let's get back on board for "OUR" teams sake.

Go Zags- lets beat the best Saint Mary's can throw at us!

siliconzag
02-11-2009, 06:05 AM
Maybe, just maybe Cal outcoached Few.

Ya think?

Great post 79 Zag! It was another perfect storm. From my perspective, both the U Conn game and the Memphis game were squandered opportunities. All the Zag love in both venues, so many Zag fans braving the elements to lavish so much affection on a team that appeared to almost spurn their affection.

In terms of your comments on defense, again, on target. Game preparation may have been intensive, but the tactics and strategy were maladapted against the Tigers.

I have two not so striking observations:

1) The Zags are not as bad as they showed us (maybe they didn't want to expose their secret weapons)

2) Memphis is going to go pretty deep in the tournament.

Sili

cjm720
02-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Ya think?

I have two not so striking observations:

1) The Zags are not as bad as they showed us (maybe they didn't want to expose their secret weapons)

Sili

I think you forgot an emoticon! ;)

gamagin
02-11-2009, 07:54 AM
pretty well been chewed.

lothar98zag
02-11-2009, 09:05 AM
...Ive also heard from a couple sources (ex zag players) that Few wanted to slow it down on offense...

:eek: If true, I can see why it didn't work. Slowing things down goes against pretty much everything Few has done as a coach @ GU. Ugh.

whatever...

BEAT SMC!!!!!!

johnwzag
02-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I think you are right about slowing it down. I don't think our players play well when it is slowed down.

jim77
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Nice post79.

The only part I'm curious about is the rotation. We have to play 8 guys just to give some a rest. I also agree about Micah getting more minutes....especially against the more athletic teams. Our boarding is being hurt when Micah is not on the court.