PDA

View Full Version : Elias Harris likes it here

BobZag
02-10-2009, 11:06 AM
The German talent really liked Gonzaga and we'll be seeing him next season. He loved the fan support, the arena crowd, Gameday, his future teammates and coaches, but most importantly the university. He and his father came. It was Elias' first ever visit to Gonzaga so it wasn't a 100% done deal just yet, but it is now. :)

2011 Brett Kingma was in the arena, decked out in Zag gear, his arm in a sling. The Zag staff loves Brett, he is described as a gym rat who plays a lot like former All-American Dan Dickau. Brett was with his parents.

I'm thrilled about these two. Sorry the game was what it was, but the last time the Zags lost in Spokane like that was 1991 when Jim McPhee was redshirting. But these guys are basketball savvy enough to know every team has it's clunkers along the way.

cggonzaga
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
At least some good news came out of this past weekend. Do you know if he played at all or if that's even legal this time of year? What did he look like physically? We've heard Erroll Knight, any truth to that? Also, I really hope to see Kingma in a Zag uniform. He'd be a freshman when Meech is a senior correct?

MDABE80
02-10-2009, 11:52 AM
We need some lunchbucket guys. Harris will be one. Yes.....let's get back to the solid blue collar kids with a few kids who can shoot the lights out. We need to go back to being Gonzaga. IMO we're far far away from what got us here.

JAGzag
02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
We need some lunchbucket guys. Harris will be one. Yes.....let's get back to the solid blue collar kids with a few kids who can shoot the lights out. We need to go back to being Gonzaga. IMO we're far far away from what got us here.

Couldn't have said it better. Bring back Mark Spink!

spudzag
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Amen. We need a few guys that always have a mouse under their eye or a nick out of their nose. Some evidence that they are mixing it up everytime they are on the court.

billyberu
02-10-2009, 12:54 PM

I agree with that first part. We need some kids who like to bang and more importantly have the physique to do such. I can't argue with Gonzaga's recent emphasis on playing stellar 'D' as our teams of old always seemed offensively orientated. Continue with this direction and get the bodies in there to do it with. I, too, am tired of the Ferraris and want some Chevy trucks in there. So to speak.

HRZag
02-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Man, what it would be like with another Casey.

And Matt. And Ronny. And JP (the large one). Blake.

BobZag
02-10-2009, 01:50 PM
At least some good news came out of this past weekend. Do you know if he played at all or if that's even legal this time of year? What did he look like physically? We've heard Erroll Knight, any truth to that? Also, I really hope to see Kingma in a Zag uniform. He'd be a freshman when Meech is a senior correct?

I don't think it's legal, plus the guys just played Portland and weren't really playing, per se. He is thicker than Erroll, same height, 25 lbs heavier, doesn't have the "Wow" athleticism that Erroll had, but equals any other athlete the program has ever had, ie, Reason, Skinner, Downs... One pic on Fiba, Elias looks like his body is a smaller version of Batista. I'll try to dig that up.

Yes, Meech a senior, Kingma a frosh. I'm really starting to yearn for a dead-eye shooter from long-, mid- or short-range at PG again.

BobZag
02-10-2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.fibaeurope-u20men.com/enDivB/default.asp?cid={437CD793-ED0C-4EE5-8163-6F08988C6501}&teamID=288&compID={792A6AB7-C6A6-434B-BEA5-9BF1BC619DB4}&season=2008&roundID=6075&

Click on any picture in the lower left part of the page. You can see all of them. Elias is #8. There are three or so pics of him, in white and black jerseys. These were taken last August.

He'll be an immediate impact guy.

Here is a better link to pics and stats from U20 Euro Championships last summer--

http://www.fibaeurope-u20men.com/enDivB/default.asp?cid={437CD793-ED0C-4EE5-8163-6F08988C6501}&playerID=53063&compID={792A6AB7-C6A6-434B-BEA5-9BF1BC619DB4}&season=2008&roundID=6075&teamID=288&

billyberu
02-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Looks to have a good build. They have him listed as a SG and I'm pretty sure I've read that his handles are terrible. If he's to be an immediate impact guy, what position will he be playing at? SF or PF?

DixieZag
02-10-2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the tireless effort BZ, makes last Saturday slightly easier to swallow. International players historically are better free throw shooters also! Help seems to be on the way.

BobZag
02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
His handles have improved a lot and there's a video from a month or two ago that shows it. He's not a SG. No way. He's a combo forward.

http://www.fibaeurope-u20men.com/enDivB/default.asp?cid={437CD793-ED0C-4EE5-8163-6F08988C6501}&playerID=53063&compID={792A6AB7-C6A6-434B-BEA5-9BF1BC619DB4}&season=2008&roundID=6075&teamID=288&

More pics ^

malmer7
02-10-2009, 03:01 PM
awesome work bz - you can just tell by looking at the guy he's going to be a baller, extremely excited about this one!

Das Zagger
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM
but the last time the Zags lost in Spokane like that was 1991 when Jim McPhee was redshirting.

Was that the SC game in the coliseum? Baby Jordan game?

BobZag
02-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Pepperdine, I believe. Old Kennel.

BobZag
02-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Video clip of Elias. He's #8 in the dark yellow jersey.

http://www.rsv-basketball.de/spiel_speyer.html

Nice use of his left hand.

bigparb
02-10-2009, 06:57 PM
based on video, agree with BZ, appears to be combo forward.......the kind of kid who's strong enough to play the 4, but with the skills to play the 3.....

Baldwinzag
02-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Another recent video clip of Elias Harris(#11 in this clip):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_i9q5mGTGU

Remember to click "Watch in High Quality" at the bottom of the video screen to get much higher resolution.

Also, his updated statistics and game-by-game stats on the season can be found here:

http://www.eurobasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=ger&PlayerID=74105

Once opened, scroll down to the bottom.

billyberu
02-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Video clip of Elias. He's #8 in the dark yellow jersey.

http://www.rsv-basketball.de/spiel_speyer.html

Nice use of his left hand.

Nice video, but...

Now is when we dance!!! (der Sprockets)

Zag79
02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
i find it humorous how hung up some people get on old zags. i understand spinks, nilson, etc were floorburn guys and you need that. but they lost the same kind of games we do now. even more so then. every team has its pros and cons, exceptional players and average players. ups and downs. but it cracks me up to think about what posters would be saying a decade ago when this board didnt exist after caseys team lost to pepperdine, san diego and santa clara in about 5 weeks at the end of the season. would you be crying for bakari? :lmao: of course if you had so and so from years past on the new team it would be great, it would be a zag all star team. and like it or not, this team has who it has and they are undefeated in conference, ranked in the top 25, and going to get to march so we have another year of great hoops to watch.

UberZagFan
02-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I, too, am tired of the Ferraris and want some Chevy trucks in there. So to speak.

Can we no wish for a Ferrari built like a Chevy Truck?

Sorry the game was what it was, but the last time the Zags lost in Spokane like that was 1991 when Jim McPhee was redshirting.

Maybe the last time the Zags lost in Spokane like that was 1991 but McPhee was not redshirting that year...unless he came back two years after graduating to sit on the bench for show.

billyberu
02-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Can we no wish for a Ferrari built like a Chevy Truck?

You can wish for one if you'd like.

theirishzag03
02-10-2009, 10:18 PM

Harold Minor??? :D

BoZarth
02-11-2009, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=BobZag;363152]Sorry the game was what it was, but the last time the Zags lost in Spokane like that was 1991 when Jim McPhee was redshirting. [QUOTE]

Bob, feel free to smack me across the head. McPhee graduated in '89. Best player with Doug Spradley while he was at GU. Class guy too. He and his team matched up with the high scoring LMU squads of Gathers and Kimble. Fun games to watch.

Go Zags!!!!

hockeyzag
02-11-2009, 10:33 AM
He'll be an immediate impact guy.

Do you mind elaborating on this statement Bob?
Where do you see him fitting in with the team next year?

If that's all you have that's ok, I just love hearing all about our new recruits and what they might bring to the table. After watching those videos, it sure seems like Elias is already a very good player, and whatever issues he may have had with his "handles" seem to have been cleared up.

Angelo Roncalli
02-11-2009, 10:34 AM
1999-2000, in the old Kennel: USD 82 Gonzaga 70

BobZag
02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Do you mind elaborating on this statement Bob?
Where do you see him fitting in with the team next year?

If that's all you have that's ok, I just love hearing all about our new recruits and what they might bring to the table. After watching those videos, it sure seems like Elias is already a very good player, and whatever issues he may have had with his "handles" seem to have been cleared up.

The Zags will have a big in Sacre (and Foster, too, I suppose). Austin best fits the Wing/SF position. I see Elias making an impact right away down low with Sacre and Dower (I think Sam has a chance to impact next year's team as well). Basically, I see a Sacre, Elias, Dower, Foster rotation in the front court. Daye can occasonally play the 4 but he'd be better at the 3. Elias also gives the team a shot of athletic quickness that the other bigs lack. I can see 20 minutes a game for Elias.

We'll see.

hockeyzag
02-11-2009, 10:50 AM
That's what I'm talkin bout!
Thanks Bobzag

dnj116
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Basically, I see a Sacre, Elias, Dower, Foster rotation in the front court.

I think you're forgetting about Andy Polling here....

MDABE80
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
I'm not dnj..from what I've seen, Poling might be the sweetest shooting tall kid we've had in years. Very polished moves around the paint. If he physically holds up, he'll be a very very good addtion to next year's team.......and beyond that too. I like him.

MississppiZag
02-11-2009, 12:53 PM
BobZag, if Few was to start Daye at the 3, who would start at the 4? Elias, Andy, or Sam? Sam or Elias would be good choices to me. I like the idea of Daye starting, then moving down to the 3, letting Andy play the 5 and Sam or Elias play the 4. I like the idea of Meech starting though, if I had my way. Few loves this kid and his defense, so I see it hard for Few to sit Meech. The lineup with Daye at the 3, will be a good secondary team after the starters need a rest.

Just curious on who you think would be best fit to start next year out of those 3?

cggonzaga
02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
Agreed DNJ. Hopeful BZ "just forgot" Andy. I'm actually really excited to see Andy next year. His physical play and size he showed in the exibition games can definitely be used next year.

BobZag
02-11-2009, 01:25 PM
*Guilty* I plumb forgot about Andy. Well, that then should really free up Daye to play Wing. And Elias will still be the quickest, most athletic 4 Few will have to go alongside the taller bigs.

Can't believe I forgot Poling. Ugh.