PDA

View Full Version : Huge regular season loss and then make the Final Four -can it happen?

lothar98zag
02-10-2009, 09:48 AM
Judge for yourself & make of it what you will.............................................. .

Worse regular season loss this year by GU - 18

Worse regular season loss by a final four team each of the past 10 years:
(red teams lost game @ home)

2008 North Carolina 11
2007 Ohio St 26
2006 George Mason 20
2005 Louisville 17
2004 Oklahoma St 21
2003 Marquette 21
2002 Maryland (won it all) 21
2001 Maryland 21
2000 Wisconsin (twice) 19
1999 Connecticut (won it all) 17

So 7 of the last 10 years a FF team has lost by more than 18 points earlier in the year.

BobZag
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
If Duke and/or Wake Forest makes it the FF, it'll be 27 points. If Louisville makes it, it's 17 points. If Michigan State makes it, 35 and 18 points.

The list is long.

cjm720
02-10-2009, 10:04 AM
A 6 game season begins in March...and anything can happen. Pitt could lose in the first round and we could make E8. It's why we love the game!

GO ZAGS!!!!!!

lothar98zag
02-10-2009, 10:05 AM
If Duke and/or Wake Forest makes it the FF, it'll be 27 points. If Louisville makes it, it's 17 points. If Michigan State makes it, 35 and 18 points.

The list is long.
And those 4 teams are currently in the top 10.

Anything can happen...

CDC84
02-10-2009, 10:10 AM
The Duke and WF blow outs were road games in front of hostile fans, and I know several of those final 4 teams (like Ohio State) lost their games on the road as well.

What's troubling about Memphis blowing out Gonzaga is that it happened in front of 11,000+ people who were rooting on the Zags. I know crazy stuff happens in college basketball at times, but I guess I would be more willing to give Gonzaga a pass if the blow out had happened on Memphis' home floor.

lothar98zag
02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Not that I'm trying to excuse what GU played like on Saturday, but for the record, Mich St & L-ville both were stomped @ home this year.

(I also edited the above list to show which teams lost @ home)

BobZag
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
The Duke and WF blow outs were road games in front of hostile fans, and I know several of those final 4 teams (like Ohio State) lost their games on the road as well.

What's troubling about Memphis blowing out Gonzaga is that it happened in front of 11,000+ people who were rooting on the Zags. I know crazy stuff happens in college basketball at times, but I guess I would be more willing to give Gonzaga a pass if the blow out had happened on Memphis' home floor.

Only thing is, while it was a home crowd, Gonzaga plays on that hockey rink the same number of games Memphis plays on it this year.

gamagin
02-10-2009, 10:17 AM
I look at it this way: we hit the bottom when it comes to performance. That's the bad news.

The good to great news is, we still control our future. WE've even gotten some help from smc. So there's no reason not to take advantage of the situation and grow and prosper from all that has happened.

We have the BEST example any coach could wish for when it comes to lecturing a team of excellent athletes what can happen if they don't fill every minute of every game with communications, focus, intensity and team work.

It's not too late to be any one of the teams we have seen play this season.

I hope to see a seachange in attitude and performance, but only they can decide to make it happen when it counts and from now on.

I'm hoping they will.

I know they can.

Go Zags !

lothar98zag
02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm hoping they will.

I know they can.

Go Zags !

:agreed:

CAN they? Yes.
HOPE they will? Yes.
WILL they? no clue :confused:

We'll see...

LongIslandZagFan
02-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Stop with the facts Lothar... can't you see that people are self-loathing? :p

ZagManFan
02-10-2009, 10:55 AM
Only thing is, while it was a home crowd, Gonzaga plays on that hockey rink the same number of games Memphis plays on it this year.

And when was the last time GU played well in the arena? Against Georgia? Against Eastern WA? The only time I remember them playing well there was the Memphis game 2 years ago and even then we started out slow.

I don't like the game in the arena even though it gives a chance to people like to me attend. I would much rather watch from home and have a rabid Kennel anyday of the week.

jim77
02-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Final 4 talk??? We better make the dance first. Don't assume that the Zags are in yet. The only team from the WCC that is guaranteed a slot is the tourney champion. What if we loose in Moraga Thursday? What if Mills returns for the WCC touney and they beat us then too??? You say it can't happen? I'd say it can happen. When was the last time you saw a "GAME DAY' game and the announcers had to ask why the home team doesn't look interested in playing....not a good way of advertising you're case to the committe. The Zags could drop 2 more games to St Mary's and NOT make the tourney. Where's our Marquee win????? Tennessee? Sorry...beating ST. Mary's without MILLS? Did ya notice that one of the announcers(on Gameday....I mean LAME day)) thought that we would have lost that game had Mills not been injured. Our best resume game is our OT loss to UCONN...period.

How did we hang with UCONN....If you remembered we actually fouled a bunch of guys out. Those guys fouled out because they were mixing it up with Uconn....which means showing some balls. Good thing...had we backed down from UCONN they would have steam rolled us too. The guys showed a BIG HEART in that tussle. I though Daye was a gladiator in that one...skinny and all. So where do we go from here........

If this team does a couple of things it will qualify and "GASP" have a chance at a deep run. These 2 things can be learned in practice in 1 week. Here's what the Zags need to do. I also thing the defense is fine and doesn't really need to be tinkered with.

1. When we are in the half court offense....we need movement..we need wings cutting across the paint like they mean it.....kamikazee style. Its hard to guard a guy who doesn't quit moving.....just ask the guys who tried to stop AMMO. Even if you don't get the ball it will tire the other teams defenders faster...Raise you're hand if you get tired. Our bench is pretty darn good,theres is no reason to play a fatigued player with our depth.
2. When a shot goes up, whether it be offense or defense 3 guys need to crash the boards...everytime! If we foul? So what. We have plenty of good folks itching to get in the action. (SEE GAME DAY)

This team could make a deep run. I believe they have it in them. GO ZAGS!

P.S. ...with guys zinging through the paint we might even be able to slipped it to Josh a few more times.

cggonzaga
02-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I know crazy stuff happens in college basketball at times, but I guess I would be more willing to give Gonzaga a pass if the blow out had happened on Memphis' home floor.

Or if we had one good win this year. Sorry to be cynical.

lothar98zag
02-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Final 4 talk???

Why not? I know the odds and yet I still buy lottery tickets every now and then. So why not talk about GU in the FF? According to Vegas, $ on GU is better odds than the lotto...

:D

siliconzag
02-10-2009, 01:07 PM
can a team be blown out and still reach the final four. Lothar has made the case. But the real question is, can the Zags make the final four, and the answer is no. No way. They don't have the skills, the discipline, the consistency, the defense, the rebounding, to make it past the first weekend, and if they do, it will only be because of their draw. This is a disappointing team. Hurts me to say so, but these guys don't play well individually, nor do they play well as a team. No FF this year.

Sili

Once and Future Zag
02-10-2009, 01:54 PM
I think we'd have a better chance in the post-season if we designated someone as the go-to for the offensive set - and I think we'd do best with Josh taking that role, rather than get caught by indecision of too many options at all times.

He's still the least defendable player we have, IMO.

Tlambou
02-10-2009, 05:01 PM
If we play like we did early in the year - such as against UConn - anything is possible.

Judge for yourself & make of it what you will.............................................. .

Worse regular season loss this year by GU - 18

Worse regular season loss by a final four team each of the past 10 years:
(red teams lost game @ home)

2008 North Carolina 11
2007 Ohio St 26
2006 George Mason 20
2005 Louisville 17
2004 Oklahoma St 21
2003 Marquette 21
2002 Maryland (won it all) 21
2001 Maryland 21
2000 Wisconsin (twice) 19
1999 Connecticut (won it all) 17

So 7 of the last 10 years a FF team has lost by more than 18 points earlier in the year.