PDA

View Full Version : A few days after Memphis

Tlambou
02-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Ok, I recorded the Memphis game so I could watch it again with my own replay.

Here are my thoughts:
1 - Mark Few is a very good coach (or at least a very good recruiter) but definitely not a great coach. (And BTW, that might be fine. I'm not saying he should be replaced.)

2 - We will not often get beyond the first game or two of the NCAAs with Few as he is not good at in game adjustments or taking advantage of the other team's weaknesses. Instead we just run our basic scheme and hope it's enough (and again, that might be fine).

3 - During Memphis, Heytvelt and Daye were our advantages while Bouldin and Pargo were our disadvantages. We did nothing "extra" to exploit our advantages.

4 - Mark recruits soft players and/or he makes them soft. That is not to say they are not talented, but they seem to give up if they don't have early success. During Memphis it was obvious that with few exceptions, we didn't want to be on the floor with that team. I think part of that comes from Few recruiting offensive players and not being interested in defensive players.

5 - It was a crime that Will Foster never saw the floor last night. We got killed inside including putbacks and offensive rebounds and we let a 7'6" player sit on the bench. Remember this is the same player who in essence won the Tennessee game by forcing them out of their game plan. What's this tell us? First, Few gives more credit to players who will suck up then to players who can win the game. Second, Few will force Foster out after this season just like Gurganious last year, Cespedes the year before, etc. Why? Is it that Foster doesn't suck up enough or that Few hates defensive players (ie - players who are primarily defense). If Foster were to transfer to WSU and sit out a year, he would end up being drafted in the NBA.

Overall, it is what it is. As long as Few is here I think we can expect good teams and trips to the NCAA but never great teams. But again, that is not all bad. There are a lot of schools who would love to be in our position.

It's just disheartening to watch Will sit on the bench while we're being pummelled on the boards.

Edit - If Few were to leave to Oregon or someplace else, we need to get back Monson or Grier and not just promote someone from within. These two could get us back to fiery basketball.

Birddog
02-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Glad you sat on that post for a couple days, no tellin' what would have appeared right after the game. Nice 1st post, you really know how to get started on a new board. This will be an instant classic.
4 - Mark recruits soft players and/or he makes them soft. That is not to say they are not talented, but they seem to give up if they don't have early success.. Now let's see, there was Violette, Stepp, Pendo, Turiaf............ yeah I get it.

BigTymeONIONS
02-09-2009, 06:53 PM
Agreed on most counts however, I don't know that we had that much of an advantage with Josh and Austin. Josh does not like to play inside with his back to the basket and he definitely didn't have a quickness advantage on on the perimeter against any of the memphis defenders with the exception of the 300 pounder. Daye is long but not as athletic or as quick as the Memphis bigs. IMO more screening and moving the ball side to side on offense would have served us better than just putting it in the hands of whoever and going 1 on 1.
One thing I did not agree with at all: Will needing to play. I was at the UP game where Will played about 2 minutes. He fouled once, traveled and dropped a perfect pass for a wide open lay in. I have seen far to much of that to think that he should be playing more as some have said on this board. He would have been lost and overmatched against the speed and athleticism of Memphis. Also I doubt Few hates defensive players and forces them out. And what inside info do you have on who sucks up to Few and who doesn't?

HOOTER
02-09-2009, 06:54 PM
I admit, I have wondered to myself if Gonzaga is going to remain stuck where they are forever, or if they'll ever make that transformation into a true contender for the national championship. Every year if find myself thinking this year they have a legitimate chance to make it to the final four, or even the elite eight, but I inevitably come to the unfortunate realization that my optimism was somewhat misguided. I love the Zags, I really do, but I'm just not sure if we'll ever be able to celebrate anything more significant than another WCC title. Let's all be honest here, would anyone here be surprised if the Zags lost in the first weekend of the tourney? Of course not. We've come to expect that. It's just the way it is. Gonzaga's success has been mind blowing, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I'd love to see the Zags make a really deep run in the tourney, but I'm not holding my breath and I'd suggest no one else does either. Let's just enjoy the Zags for what they are and keep our expectations in check. There's nothing wrong with being a fan and being realistic at the same time.

McZag
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Very nice first post. I appreciate the honesty. This team was once defined by grit, determination and having a "chip"on the shoulder.

Somewhere along the way the coaching staff made a pact with the devil for "talent", "athleticism" etc. in exchange for the work ethic, toughness, desire and team chemistry. There have been warning signs: drug issues, fewer and fewer "gym rats", a preocupation with early entry to the NBA. We the fans fell for it. Told ourselves that the we were a top 10 program and were allowed scandal, NBA scout attention and other distractions. Just goes with the territory right?

Wrong. This loss rocks my love of GU hoops to the core. I don't care that we lost. I really don't. I didn't expect to win this game. I've believed for a few years that Memphis has had stronger teams than us and a stronger program overall.

But we walked out on that court Sat. completely illprepared to play a game- any game, against anyone. We were lathargic, weak, and gutless. That game was a significant step backward. The first significant step backward since 1999. The program did not maintain integrity Saturday. It slipped a notch. This team had played Memphis 3 times prior. Had seen their defense, knew their tendencies, had them pegged. And made no effort to challenge them. How cowardly. How do you let a team that has beat you consistently come to a gym 1 mile from where were you sleep and beat you like a pup on prime time Sat. night national TV?

Where is the pride? Where is the accountability? Where is the shame? The coaching staff failed this team and the program. They need to accept the fact that they put a team on the floor Sat. that doesn't respect them as coaches and mentors and really doesn't seem to care at all about this program.

It makes it hard to be a fan of people who don't seem to be fans of themselves.

This post will enrage some folks here. I understand. I hate that I feel compelled to write it.

theirishzag03
02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I lost 3 user names by being honestly-critical-

Hooter-"Where is the pride? Where is the accountability? Where is the shame? The coaching staff failed this team and the program. They need to accept the fact that they put a team on the floor Sat. that doesn't respect them as coaches and mentors and really doesn't seem to care at all about this program."---I agree- spot on!!!

We do have the talent to be a Final Four team- What is the difference between Ty Lawson and Tyler Hansbrough and Pargo and Heytvelt? Over the past couple years they have improved. Plus they play for a coach who would NEVER tolerate a lack of passion or effort or a RESPONSIBILITY to wear a jersey that displays Tar Heels. Same goes for Duke, they don't have more talent or depth the GU, BUT how many of you would have wanted to be at the practice following the loss to Clemson?

I was also mocked by a select few for suggesting Few make them practice in pink uniforms until they EARNED the regular ones by showing some toughness. Maybe a bit harsh, but I'm sure they would get the point!

ZagLawGrad
02-09-2009, 08:32 PM
I admit, I have wondered to myself if Gonzaga is going to remain stuck where they are forever, or if they'll ever make that transformation into a true contender for the national championship. Every year if find myself thinking this year they have a legitimate chance to make it to the final four, or even the elite eight, but I inevitably come to the unfortunate realization that my optimism was somewhat misguided. I love the Zags, I really do, but I'm just not sure if we'll ever be able to celebrate anything more significant than another WCC title. Let's all be honest here, would anyone here be surprised if the Zags lost in the first weekend of the tourney? Of course not. We've come to expect that. It's just the way it is. Gonzaga's success has been mind blowing, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I'd love to see the Zags make a really deep run in the tourney, but I'm not holding my breath and I'd suggest no one else does either. Let's just enjoy the Zags for what they are and keep our expectations in check. There's nothing wrong with being a fan and being realistic at the same time.

Excellent post. I think most Zags fans would agree with your sentiments. There are some who will never accept the premise of your post no matter how the team or certain players fail to show up---they would accuse you of seeing the glass half empty. But I do think they are the small minority.

Tlambou
02-10-2009, 06:05 AM
I concur re: letting them go one on one. What was discouraging was we didn't seem to have a plan or plays to take advantage of them. We needed to set down picks to allow Austin to free up at the foul line or baseline picks to allow either to free up going to or away from the basket. They were taller so they shouldn't have needed much of a window to get better shots.

Instead we had Bouldin playing the 3 against a guy who was quicker, longer and more athletic, and we expected him to somehow score.

Bouldin is not a 3 outside of the WCC. I thought last year proved that. The three guard line up only works with very athletic or very large guards. We have neither but for some reason the coaches seem to think that WCC success = the same results against the real good teams.

Doesn't happen.

Agreed on most counts however, I don't know that we had that much of an advantage with Josh and Austin. Josh does not like to play inside with his back to the basket and he definitely didn't have a quickness advantage on on the perimeter against any of the memphis defenders with the exception of the 300 pounder. Daye is long but not as athletic or as quick as the Memphis bigs. IMO more screening and moving the ball side to side on offense would have served us better than just putting it in the hands of whoever and going 1 on 1.
One thing I did not agree with at all: Will needing to play. I was at the UP game where Will played about 2 minutes. He fouled once, traveled and dropped a perfect pass for a wide open lay in. I have seen far to much of that to think that he should be playing more as some have said on this board. He would have been lost and overmatched against the speed and athleticism of Memphis. Also I doubt Few hates defensive players and forces them out. And what inside info do you have on who sucks up to Few and who doesn't?

Tlambou
02-10-2009, 06:07 AM
Who is the Violette, Stepp, Pendo or Turiaf on this team?

And of those three, Stepp and Pendo, despite their hearts, were overmatched most tourney games.

However, as I said, there's nothing wrong with going every year.

Glad you sat on that post for a couple days, no tellin' what would have appeared right after the game. Nice 1st post, you really know how to get started on a new board. This will be an instant classic. . Now let's see, there was Violette, Stepp, Pendo, Turiaf............ yeah I get it.

Tlambou
02-10-2009, 06:14 AM
We were down by 15 to Tennessee until Will changed the game.

We were down by 30 to Memphis and lost by 15.

How much worse could it have gotten to see if a 7'6" guy could possibly stop some of the offensive rebound / put backs?

And how much should we care about offense if the defense can't stop the other team?

edcasey
02-10-2009, 06:30 AM
Depends on what we the fans are looking for: if we measure "success" by FF apperance then over th elast 10 years only 26 teams have been succesful, there are also many many story book programs that over t he last ten years havent even made it to the Elite 8 and many many programs who have not made it to the dance even half as many times as we have.

I guess my point is the community needs to define success: For me it is being competititve day in day out, holding an opportunity to excel, having the kids graduate and become succesful in life, yet continue to have the opportunity to via for the WCC title, make the dance and compete in the tournament.......if we advance to a final four or above that for me is icing on the cake but I refuse to sell out what my Gonzaga University stands for to get to taste the icing on the cake

kclubfounder
02-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Tlame,

You have determined that we will not often get beyond the 1st couple games of the tournament with Few as the coach.

So we will occasionally get into the Elite 8 with Few as coach - not often, but occasionally.

Gonzaga, the little school that nobody had heard of or could pronounce 10 years ago, in the city few had heard of or could pronounce, in one of the nation's worst conferences, will go to the elite 8 every once in a while with Few as the coach. What a tremendous compliment!

But wait! In the same brilliant post you don't think Few is a great coach and you think he recruits the wrong players and is poor at in-game adjustments.

You long for the Monson days (and his ONE magical year), despite his failings since that one year. You long for assistant coach Grier (who had a great 5 game stretch last year but is struggling this year). I guess you think if only we had someone other than Few we would be regulars in the Elite 8 and beyond.

And many compliment you for an excellent post.

This board sure can be fascinating.

Zaghuatanejo
02-10-2009, 07:16 AM
I guess my point is the community needs to define success: For me it is being competititve day in day out, holding an opportunity to excel, having the kids graduate and become succesful in life, yet continue to have the opportunity to via for the WCC title, make the dance and compete in the tournament.......if we advance to a final four or above that for me is icing on the cake but I refuse to sell out what my Gonzaga University stands for to get to taste the icing on the cake

Edcasey, that is success. I'm with you, I have very optimistic expectations prior to the season (even now), but do I consider these players failures because they haven't won the NC or been to the FF? Nope. Few has a lineup of STUDENT-ATHLETES. They graduate. They've been on a NCAA tourney streak that would make most schools drool. Let's continue to enjoy the success that this program has had, rationally react to the ups AND downs of every college basketball season, cheer like hell each time our boys are on the floor, and stand up and applaud when that final buzzer sounds.

Be PROUD of these kids. I'm not perfect, you're not perfect, and neither are they. No let's go get the Gaels!!!! GO ZAGS!!!!

ZagManFan
02-10-2009, 07:32 AM
You long for assistant coach Grier (who had a great 5 game stretch last year but is struggling this year).

You seem to forget that Grier lost his best player early in the year as well. What was their record before Johnson got hurt? Might want to reconsider that one, but agree with the rest of the post.

BobZag
02-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Sorry, but a slow, lumbering 7'5" guy would've been piranha meat to those quick, long, athletic Memphis players. And Few was smart enough to know it.

I'll take Few. Others can have Grier, or go back to Fitz in the "good old days."

LongIslandZagFan
02-10-2009, 09:16 AM
... in one of the nation's worst conferences...

On the contrary, the WCC is nowhere near being on of the nation's worst conferences. In fact year in and year out the WCC is close to or is in the top 1/3rd of conferences. I guess the Horizon, Ivy, MAAC, and Colonial conferences would kick the WCC top to bottom every year. It is bad enough when Non-Zag fans do it... but come on... our own fans now buy into this BS.

Also to those who say that Few is such a bad coach... I guess his coaching wins against Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Jim Calhoun, and Gary Williams don't really count for anything.

gamagin
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM

Here are my thoughts:
1 - Mark Few is a very good coach (or at least a very good recruiter) but definitely not a great coach. (And BTW, that might be fine. I'm not saying he should be replaced.)

2 - We will not often get beyond the first game or two of the NCAAs with Few as he is not good at in game adjustments or taking advantage of the other team's weaknesses. Instead we just run our basic scheme and hope it's enough (and again, that might be fine).

3 - During Memphis, Heytvelt and Daye were our advantages while Bouldin and Pargo were our disadvantages. We did nothing "extra" to exploit our advantages.

4 - Mark recruits soft players and/or he makes them soft. That is not to say they are not talented, but they seem to give up if they don't have early success. During Memphis it was obvious that with few exceptions, we didn't want to be on the floor with that team. I think part of that comes from Few recruiting offensive players and not being interested in defensive players.

5 - It was a crime that Will Foster never saw the floor last night. We got killed inside including putbacks and offensive rebounds and we let a 7'6" player sit on the bench. Remember this is the same player who in essence won the Tennessee game by forcing them out of their game plan. What's this tell us? First, Few gives more credit to players who will suck up then to players who can win the game. Second, Few will force Foster out after this season just like Gurganious last year, Cespedes the year before, etc. Why? Is it that Foster doesn't suck up enough or that Few hates defensive players (ie - players who are primarily defense). If Foster were to transfer to WSU and sit out a year, he would end up being drafted in the NBA.

Overall, it is what it is. As long as Few is here I think we can expect good teams and trips to the NCAA but never great teams. But again, that is not all bad. There are a lot of schools who would love to be in our position.

It's just disheartening to watch Will sit on the bench while we're being pummelled on the boards.

Edit - If Few were to leave to Oregon or someplace else, we need to get back Monson or Grier and not just promote someone from within. These two could get us back to fiery basketball.

and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter," Homer Simpson.

McZag
02-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Grier (who had a great 5 game stretch last year but is struggling this year). I guess you think if only we had someone other than Few we would be regulars in the Elite 8 and beyond.

I don't support switching coaching staffs and have not said so in any other posts. However, Grier lost his best player to injury this year which explains the "struggling". When Billy was here I can't recall a single game where the team was that illprepared to compete. Worst Spokane loss since 1991 says it all. This Memphis game begins a new, and hopefully short, chapter of Zag apathy. We need our coaches to demand total commitment and focus. Whoever that is, is fine with me but we did not have it Sat.

kclubfounder
02-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Any conference that you historically must win the conference tournament in order to get in to the dance is not exactly a strong conference. The WCC (formerly WCAC) may be one of the best of those conferences, but it is still a damn weak conference when you must win the conference tournament to get in. Now, Gonzaga has changed that formula a bit in the past decade.

As for Grier. I love him too. But he was the 2nd most important part of the Gonzaga coaching staff from the day Monson left until the day he left GU (less than 2 years ago). So unless your post-season criticism of Gonzaga in the Few years is based solely on the Davidson loss, you must include Grier in your criticism. And last year he had the conference tournament in his home gym or he wouldn't have even been in the NIT. This year, one player gets injured so any results are irrelevant. Geez Louise, talk about double standards when judging a coach. Again, I love him, but a teeny tiny stretch of good games (half at home and half on neutral courts) does not a legend make.

Tlambou
02-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Please re-read the post.

I said Few is a good coach. It's just that I don't think he's an elite coach. But hey, only about 4 or 5 schools in the nation have really elite coaches.

I also said he's recruited more talent this year than ever, but maybe they're not as tough. Read the words, not what you want to hear.

I also don't long for Monson. I said that IF Few left I hope they'd consider Monson and/or Grier as opposed to automatically promoting someone from within.

And please tell me where I said that anyone we had other than Few would get us to the elite 8 every year. I specifically said that what Few has accomplished with tourney appearances and success makes many schools envious.

Sorry if I didn't toe the line.

How about if I agree with you that Few is the best coach in the country and we'll win the NC this year and every year for as long as he's here.

Hope that helps.

Tlame,

You have determined that we will not often get beyond the 1st couple games of the tournament with Few as the coach.

So we will occasionally get into the Elite 8 with Few as coach - not often, but occasionally.

Gonzaga, the little school that nobody had heard of or could pronounce 10 years ago, in the city few had heard of or could pronounce, in one of the nation's worst conferences, will go to the elite 8 every once in a while with Few as the coach. What a tremendous compliment!

But wait! In the same brilliant post you don't think Few is a great coach and you think he recruits the wrong players and is poor at in-game adjustments.

You long for the Monson days (and his ONE magical year), despite his failings since that one year. You long for assistant coach Grier (who had a great 5 game stretch last year but is struggling this year). I guess you think if only we had someone other than Few we would be regulars in the Elite 8 and beyond.

And many compliment you for an excellent post.

This board sure can be fascinating.

Tlambou
02-10-2009, 04:39 PM
You very well could be right BZ. However, according to Mark he turned around the Tennessee game, also a team of quick, long, athletic players. Just seems when you're getting beat on the boards and on put backs you try the 7'5" guy.

As for Grier vs Few, re-read the post. I didn't say I wish we had Grier. I said that if Few left I'd hope they'd consider Grier.

Sorry, but a slow, lumbering 7'5" guy would've been piranha meat to those quick, long, athletic Memphis players. And Few was smart enough to know it.

I'll take Few. Others can have Grier, or go back to Fitz in the "good old days."

kclubfounder
02-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Tlame,

Actually you said he wasn't "great" not "elite", which is exactly what I quoted you as saying.

Then you complained about his recruiting - not what I "wanted to hear" but what you wrote.

You also wrote about hoping they would consider Monson or Grier if Few left. Perhaps you don't think you are "longing" for them - and maybe you aren't, but I think you are.

Sorry I hit a nerve. I'm sure you love Zag hoops. But you attacked Few in your 1st post after "analyzing" one game. So I'm gonna call you out.

Go Zags!!!!!

MickMick
02-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Can the Few haters please find another team to root for?

Thank you.

Zag79
02-10-2009, 06:55 PM

Here are my thoughts:

I wouldnt want any other coach, he is the perfect fit for GU. that being said, i agree to an extent he is way over hyped by some on this board. its always the players fault and never the coach. if thats true why do we have the same issues every year regardless of the players talent, skill, etc?

agreed. see every tournament loss we should have won. i understand you cant expect to win them all but texas tech, wyoming, nevada, ucla, indiana, are all games we should have won with the talent and skill we had. we got outcoached in the second half of almost every game.

again, i agree. we never threw it into the post. instead, we chose to let our 3small guards swing it around the arc for 25 seconds and then force a drive into the bigger defenders. and to the josh haters, he was calling for it plenty.

wrong. we have alot of great recruits. tough, skilled players.

i wouldnt have minded seeing it, as it did work against tennessee. but against the speed of memphis he probably would have been overmatched even by the high leaping guards.

Few is it. hes the coach for as long as im around and im 29. i love that. i think hes the perfect fit for Gonzaga and coaches are always learning as well. im sure that the longer hes here, the better he will get at doing the things we as fans fault him for.

ZagLawGrad
02-10-2009, 07:18 PM
I wouldnt want any other coach, he is the perfect fit for GU. .....Few is it.

Indeed he is.

While it is fustrating at times to watch certain players underperform when we all know they can play soooo much better, the fact is that Few is the key to the past and future success of this program.

Coach has built a good reputation for the program. He has a strong recruiting network that brings in talented players (and quality citizens) who will be good ambassadors and reflect positively on the program long after they graduate. And he likes living in Spokane.

If we had to change coaches every few years, this program is easily a step or two behind where it is today.

zag70
02-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I think you should refrain from your usual revisionist history. But for those good old days, you would not even be posting on this board. SHAME ON YOU

LongIslandZagFan
02-10-2009, 09:00 PM
All I ask of you Few Haters... or at least detractors... name me all the coaches whom you feel or better. Oh and by the way, show their overall W-L as well as their success in the tournament. Maybe then you can extricate you head from your behind and actually realize what a good coach you have instead of nitpicking on little crap. Once you realize the coaches that actually have accomplished what Mark has, at schools with infinitely better budgets, will you comprehend what a great coach he is.

You expectations of E8 or better every damn year is so far beyond realistic it is not even funny.

UberZagFan
02-10-2009, 09:52 PM
The amount of crap that is consistently spewed on this board is amazing. It's not enough to rip Few, but let's rip Grier while we are at it. By the way, Uber seems to recall that USD is the only WCC team to get a win in last year's NCAA--and they were the lowest seed from the conference.

What amazes Uber is all this shoulda woulda coulda in response to non-problems--such as poor defense. GU did not get its rear end wiped by Memphis because Will didn't see the floor--and in fact, it really wasn't the defense at all. At one point in the game, Memphis was 3-14 from three or something close to that. Yes, there was some abuse on the boards--most of which occurred when GU went zone.

But this loss is due to the runs Memphis went on in the first half--at the 12 min mark GU is down by 5 after a Kemp three and then proceeds to turn the ball over 7 times before the next TV timeout. Hard to keep pace when you turn the ball over on almost every possession--and those TOs were due to GUs guards being manhandled. Doubt Will would have been able to prevent much of that.

By they way, Memphis had TWO offensive rebounds from the 12 min mark on in the first half. Oh yeah, GU had TWO O rebounds during that same period.

Now if you wanna criticize the lack of adjustments in response to GU's inability to secure the ball in the first half, feel free.

Zag79
02-10-2009, 10:40 PM
i wasnt trying to rip few, merely discussing what i though he could improve on. just because hes good doesnt mean hes flawless, and its ok to talk about it. i didnt think anyone on this thread said anything out of line. i actually said he was a great coach for us and i wouldnt want anyone else. i admit im too lazy to look up all the coaches that would be considered better than few, but they are out there and no logical person would debate that. as far as his win/loss %, its a great stat but we all know the wcc is going to inflate that quite a bit. and i dont expect E8s or even S16s every year. i just want to see the best players we have utilizing there skills to the full potential. win or lose doesnt matter once thats done. either way, we can agree hes a really good coach, and wouldnt want anyone else. :)

collegebasketballfan
02-11-2009, 10:05 AM
We are very fortunate to be in the position we are in. I think it is great that we all have hopes of making it to the Elite 8. This team is one player away from being able to compete with the elite programs. What if we had a J. Brockman type guy on the inside. I think we are very close.

It is just frustrating being this close, and then not making it. It has happened
the last several years now, and we see it possible happening again this year.

I think Mark Few is a good coach. I just wish he could make a few changes in his methods that seem to pop up game after game, year after year.

There have been some EXCELLENT comments on his STRENGTHS, and also his weeknesses. Everyone needs to continue to make changes in there approach to work, and also play, and Mark few is no different. It's the wise person who can look at their weeknesses, HONESTLY, and make improvements from them.

I just look forward to the day when I can turn on my tv for the final Four and see Gonzaga there. It can happen here, but we will need to make some adjustments.

Tlambou
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Good to have mind readers on here.

Tell us what SMC's game plan is. It will help with the prep.

Tlame,

Actually you said he wasn't "great" not "elite", which is exactly what I quoted you as saying.

Then you complained about his recruiting - not what I "wanted to hear" but what you wrote.

You also wrote about hoping they would consider Monson or Grier if Few left. Perhaps you don't think you are "longing" for them - and maybe you aren't, but I think you are.

Sorry I hit a nerve. I'm sure you love Zag hoops. But you attacked Few in your 1st post after "analyzing" one game. So I'm gonna call you out.

Go Zags!!!!!

Chi-townTiger
02-11-2009, 07:28 PM
You guys have an outstanding team. Ya just didn't have it Saturday. Your team looked very odd to me in the game. It was like they were in a trance. Absolutely no energy.

I've seen the Zags several times this year and they always looked pretty confident and very good. They didn't the other night for some reason. Remember the first drive of the game when Bouldin (I think it was) drove to the basket and Dozier blocked his shot. I think that kind of set the tone.

My guess is they were flat from the Portland game just two days earlier. I know they are better than that and I wouldn't want to play them in the tournament.

As for Few, he's a great coach. If I had any knock on him at all I'd say he is a little too nice sometimes.

Coach Cal gets ripped all the time for not being a good x's and o's coach too and I think thats bulls@@t as well. Mark Few is Gonzaga.

Give it a few days and you guys will be o.k. Sometimes a loss like this will refocus the team and they'll go on a run. It happened to us when we got spanked by Syracuse at home. I know we're better but that wasn't our day either.

theirishzag03
02-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Can the Few haters please find another team to root for?

Thank you.

Not a Few hater,but this comment makes no sense?

Should all the Colts fans jump ship now that Tony Dungy is gone? Seahawk fans who don't like Jim Mora....sorry FIND ANOTHER TEAM??? You can hope your team does well and at the same time not believe you have the best coach.

Gonzaga will be here longer than Few- This is a Zag board, not a Few board.

If I was not a Zag fan and was a Few hater I would root for them to be 5-17, so I could tell the Few Lovers to find another team to root for.

theirishzag03
02-12-2009, 04:07 PM
You guys have an outstanding team. Ya just didn't have it Saturday. Your team looked very odd to me in the game. It was like they were in a trance. Absolutely no energy.

My guess is they were flat from the Portland game just two days earlier. I know they are better than that and I wouldn't want to play them in the tournament.

As for Few, he's a great coach. If I had any knock on him at all I'd say he is a little too nice sometimes.

Memphis had an equally tough game Wednesday at SMU, and had to make a trip across the country... thanks for the excuse, but I think there is a higher probability the team had food poisoning. It reminded me of the USC vs. Oregon State game. Sure didn't look like the same Trojans!!!

Thanks for staying classy!!!