PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Fan on Zag Basketball

MM2
02-09-2009, 01:42 PM
I know that most GU fans would like to just move on, but I thought that I would take a minute and post what most (objective) Memphis thought about the game and GU.

Going into this game, several of us thought that this would be the game that the Zags would take. Considering several factors: 1) importance of playing the last non-conference ranked opponent for the regular season, 2) playing in Spokane ('nuff said), 3) ESPN Gameday (national exposure), 4) seniors wanted one against Memphis before graduating, and 5) talent. Despite believing that we have enough talent to compete with anyone in the county, we thought the above factors would be the main contributors in a Zag victory

Even though all Tiger fans are happy with the final score, I can assure you that we share in the disappointment that Gonzaga just didn't show up to play. It was very important for both C-USA and the WCC to showcase their premier teams on national tv. As it turns out, Gonzaga was in a funk that escapes logic, and cannot be put into words. Memphis fans know this and acknowledge that the game was the exception to the rule. Believe me, we know what Gonzaga is capable of. I can personally guarentee you that every dedicated Memphis fan watched the Zags beat up on Bruce Pearl and Tennesse - twice. As far as the UCONN game is concerned, you don't need to explain to Memphis fans how you can outplay your opponent and still lose!! We will forever be feeling the effects of last April. In sum, I can assure you that Memphis holds Gonzaga in high regard, and know that the results of Saturday's game was the absolute perfect storm - Memphis playing one of their best games of the year on the same night that Gonzaga played one of its worst. Prior to the game, Bobby Knight was speaking on the pounding that Duke took the previous week and the hands of Clemson. He said "that sometimes during the season, stuff happens that you cannot explain." I think these words apply to this game.

I've been to all of the Tigers/Zags games for the last four years, and can say that the games in Spokane always deliver. I always have enjoyed traveling to Spokane, and enjoy the class that Zag fans exhibit.

Good luck with the rest of the season and hopefully we'll meet again in April!

former1dog
02-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Good post. I'm glad you didn't make excuses for our team.

johnwzag
02-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Thank you for your response.

I cannot find any answers for what happened. It would have been better for Memphis if we did not look like a div2 team.

I will continue to follow Memphis. Your coach, players and fans are top notch. I have nothing but good feelings for all of you.

Just noticed you guys in the top 10! That is where you belong.

UberZagFan
02-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Good post. I'm glad you didn't make excuses for our team.

Ditto.

ZagLawGrad
02-09-2009, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=MM2;362082]As it turns out, Gonzaga was in a funk that escapes logic, and cannot be put into words.
QUOTE]

Can't argue with this statement.

malmer7
02-09-2009, 02:58 PM
personally, i'd say you're being too kind, but i hope your right and it was just one of those unexplainable funks.

Das Zagger
02-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Memphis just came out and punched us in the face.

HOOTER
02-09-2009, 05:31 PM
As it turns out, Gonzaga was in a funk that escapes logic, and cannot be put into words.

You ain't lying there my friend. Were still stinging from that game and will be for quite some time. Words like dumbfounded, perplexed, and thoroughly confused barely begin to describe how Gonzaga fans were feeling after that game. It's not that they lost, because we all knew that was a possibility, but how they lost. Oh well, College basketball is a crazy thing sometimes. Thanks for the well thought out and respectful post. Memphis fans are a classy bunch, no doubt.

2wiceright
02-09-2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks MM2!!!
This Gonzaga fan very much appreciates and respects the spirit and content of your post. I truly believe your points are spot on and well taken by more than just a few of us.

One last Thank-You for the class and demeanor of Memphis fans. Looking forward to continued yearly battles with our Zags!!!

Good Luck in the Tourney- Hear's hoping both our teams go far and when all is said and done, everything is left in respectable battles (win or lose) on the court!.

lothar98zag
02-10-2009, 09:56 AM
As it turns out, Gonzaga was in a funk that escapes logic, and cannot be put into words.

After reading this board off and on since Saturday night, I can say that this is thruth, but damn did we Zag fans try...

zagnut52
02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
Classy post from a classy fan. Very much appreciated. Lots of us are still scratching our heads. Many times we have a jeykell/hyde complex I think going on. We know that when the guys play up to their potential they can beat just about anyone, anywhere. I hope we can find our way in the big dance. I know, first we have to get there!!!

Zagsker
02-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Good post MM2

Teams have games like this....obviously as a direct fan you would like it to not happen to your team......but it happens. Duke got creamed by Clemson and then almost lost to Thug U.

Our boys will take it to heart and come out blazin'