PDA

View Full Version : About match-ups?

HillBillyZag
02-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I think it would be wise not to continue our "lol" home & home series versus the University of Memphis. Not ducking out because of four straight losses and putting ourselves in the fuskies position vice via ourselves but due to the fact that their style of play and their players are the antithisis of a system like Gonzagas. Cals style of play requires the kind of kids he recruits, tall athletic kids that have speed, hops, an underdog mentality and a chip on their shoulders. He does a mimimum teaching of skill improvement, as most are ready to play within his system when they arrive as freshmen. He simply utilizes their athleticism to play "in your face" defense , contest every shot, go after every loose ball, and have just enough hoops skill and court savvy to run the relatively few offensive sets his system demands. On the other hand, as G.U.'s program has evolved so far, the kids we usually recruit (or at least most of them) are not "yet ready for prime time". Even the best of them have either holes in their game that must be improved, physical challenges to overcome, attitude adjustments to be made both on the court and academically, time to assimulate the various & sundry offensive and defensive sets that Coach Few likes to run, and to become part of the Gonzaga family. IMHO if the other nights game had taken place with Rob at 100% physically with the experience he would have picked up playing all season, and our seniors had recovered from the "brainfart" they developed since the heart breaking loss to UConn.
This would have been a different game. Unfortunately Rob was hurt, the seniors did;nt lead and we saw the result. With no malice toward Memphis I would say also that we could not recruit a lot of the kids they do due to the tougher academic and character standards that the Jesuits insist on.(rightly so!) With the exception of Ira, who is 26, and Jeremy who survived, most of our players are not mature in their court abilities or their lives, they are mostly kids with whole familes to support their lives, not all wealthy, but most have never known hunger, the results of real drug addiction, seeing siblings killed on the street, and all of the other baggage that comes from poverty, poor education, & yes, still prejudice.. For most of the reasons I have mentioned I feel that scheduling Memphis University on a regular basis in not a good idea. They are just not a good matchup for G.U.

former1dog
02-09-2009, 01:23 PM
For most of the reasons I have mentioned I feel that scheduling Memphis University on a regular basis in not a good idea. They are just not a good matchup for G.U.

That is exactly WHY we should schedule them HBZ. If Gonzaga University Basketball aspires to a national championship (last I heard, they do), then we need to play tough teams whose style, etc, makes it hard for us to compete.

Cupcake scheduling doesn't make for a national championship caliber team and I love the fact that we've got 4 more chances at them at least.

When I ran cross country for Gonzaga, we got our ass kicked by the University of Portland every year. They got better athletes, a full time coach and had a much better tradition. Did I get discouraged as an athlete because we couldn't beat them, Hell NO!! I got better as an athlete.

malmer7
02-09-2009, 01:23 PM
i definitely see your point but i feel the opposite.
i think that if memphis is everything we're not, then it's good to continue scheduling them, even if it means we get our butts kicked year in and year out. this game can serve as a measuring stick as to what we need to work on before march - IMO, this game always helps in our preparation towards the tournament.
if we just play the teams that are similar to our "style", then we are going to get our a$$ handed to us come tourney time.

HillBillyZag
02-09-2009, 03:48 PM
I understand what you all are saying and I guess you may be right,. But without changing the type of kids we recruit how can we compete with them on an even keel?

NEC26
02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
We have competed with them every year except this one.

Reborn
02-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I think you'd better get used to it Hillyzag. It's set up for 4 more years. :)
I am glad because you only get better by playing tougher teams. Memphis showed us where we need to look to change, and what we need to do if we want to do well in the NCAA tournament. As I am sure all know by now, I do not think it's a bad thing to lose games. Especially when you are losing to very good teams, as the zags have done this year. You do not get mentally tougher by playing an easy schedule. The Zags have done great this year, imo. I know I may be a minority, but this has just been a very different year from any before, and everyone is losing more this year, and most teams are getting or having a very bad game. I'm not sure why. I think it has a lot to do with preparedness.

I have always liked Few's belief, that we will play anyone anywhere, but I do think and agree, that it will be modified some in the years to come. We don't need to cut down on the caliber of teams we play but on the amount of travel and the time between games. DON'T WEAR THE KIDS OUT.

HillBillyZag
02-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Well, I'll never give up on em, I love the Zags!! But I hope we will find that several of the new kids have Pendo's heart to go along with their God give talent!!

bigblahla
02-09-2009, 04:19 PM
I understand what you all are saying and I guess you may be right,. But without changing the type of kids we recruit how can we compete with them on an even keel?

Run, run, run, run, run ,run and oh by the way run. Conditioning can be an equalizer. We may not have the best athletes but if they are in the best shape it will tell in the long run.

Go!! Zags!!!

NorthWestZag
02-09-2009, 04:29 PM
I thought we should not have renewed the series as well. But not for the reasons you stated.

We play them on their home court, they should come play us on ours. Our program is at the point where we should go home and home, semihome-semihome, or nothing. FedEx/MAC series is how it should be.

If they don't wanna come to the Kennel, we can find somebody else who does.

Unfortunately, we have signed on for four more years with the same dumb agreement playing in Spokane Arena.