PDA

View Full Version : New Bracketology

theirishzag03
02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
#6 Seed and dropping a bit. In Boise vs Utah St??? Could be interesting. Arizona is a new comer! I think we will end up a #5 if we win the WCC and the WCC tourney. A win over Memphis would have gone a long way! Utah State 22-1 ranked ahead of us and a #11. Not much respect.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

Zag4Hire
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
There has to be some kind of cruel irony to Tennessee also being a #6. All of the teams that are slated in front in the #5 seed, a few #4 seeds, and about 1 or 2 #3 seeds have nowhere to go but down. What I mean is, I can't see them crawling up to a #1 or #2 and I think that some of those squads will not be seeded there come March but a little further down the line. Just gotta keep plugging away, win the rest the games on the slate, and win the WCC tourney.

208Zag
02-09-2009, 12:17 PM
is a good basketball team and deserving of better than a #11 seed based on their performace thus far. I can think of a lot of other teams I would rather see in the first round.

It's too bad Mills is out for the bracketbuster game against Utah St becasue that could have been a great match up of 2 top 15 teams. While I will be rooting for the Gael's to win I think Utah St. will handle SMC quite easily given their recent troubles.

CDC84
02-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Utah State is also extremely well coached.

zagzilla
02-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Utah State in Boise is almost a home game for them too.

theirishzag03
02-09-2009, 01:14 PM
258 miles for Utah State, 287 mile trip for the Zags.

Das Zagger
02-09-2009, 01:35 PM
SMC pulled USU for the Bracketbuster game. They play them at home, that's the one positive I can see for the Gaels.

adoptedzag
02-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I'd hate to draw USU in the first round :(

They're a MUCH better team than that ranking shows.

BobZag
02-09-2009, 02:19 PM
I like these matchups better than previous weeks but Lunardi's just guessing when it comes to matchups. USU and KU, I'd take that.

208Zag
02-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Yes, boise would be like a home game for Utah St due to the Mormon connection.

Reborn
02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I think that this is perhaps the worst analysis that Joe has ever done. I understand that it's a rough year to predict anything in college basketball. I do NOT envy the people who will have to put the brackets together. In the end, I think, most people are going to be pretty dissatisfied. I hope we won't be one of them this year, as we have been in the past (especially last year). The UW is not better than Gonzaga and should not be placed ahead of the Zags. We should not be playing Utah State in the first round. I understand why we played Davidson in the first round last year. That team was not as good as this one, imo. We hurt ourselves when we lost the championship game in the WCC tournament.

It's interesting to see Lunardi dropping us two seeds when we have stayed about the same in both the AP and ESPN/USA COACHES poll.

The Zags will be a difficult team to seed, imo. If we do not win out, then we are in trouble I believe. There is NO MORE room for another loss. The guys need to KNOW this in their deepest heart, and they had better get ready to play each and every game from here until selection sunday. Without Mills at St. Mary's and Johnson at SanDiego we should not lose to either team. Yes, they will be tough, but do we just fold up when we play tough games? Yes, Santa Clara will be tough. But no tougher than Portland was.

Mr Vulture
02-09-2009, 04:57 PM
We are roughly in the 20-25 range in the country, rightfully so, which places us firmly in the 5-6 seed range. I don't see Utah State as an 11 seed so wouldn't sweat that at all. If we won out we would be no better than a 4 seed so I think location and opponent is the key to this. We have a virtual 3 game lead in the conference so if we can win out we will be a lock for no worse than a 5 seed, even if we lose in the conference tourny. Without Mills in St. Marys lineup, we should be good the rest of the way. In the end, I hope Memphis is a wake up call to the guys as I am sure they were coasting a bit in league, for the most part. It's not like St. Mary's didn't come out and catch us napping a bit also.

In the end, I see the Zags winning out and taking a 4 seed this year...just my opinion. To bad we lost to Uconn earlier or we would have been good to go...

MDABE80
02-09-2009, 05:16 PM
UW loses and moves from a 6 to a 5 seed? Am I missing something? Boy Romar's got that "gift".....

ZagLawGrad
02-09-2009, 05:22 PM
The Seattle Times is not a pro-Zag newspaper for sure, but one of their reporters in today's issue made some interesting points:

"The jersey is the only thing that ties this team to the hard-charging, bust-their-backside Gonzaga squads dating to the mid-90s, with people like Quintin Hall, Casey Calvary, Matt Santangelo and Cory Violette, who simply wouldn't let their teams lose.....Tennessee (14-8), twice beaten by Gonzaga, is likely the only NCAA-tournament team among the Zags' wins. That probably puts Gonzaga at a No. 7-8 seed without anything of real value left through the WCC tournament unless St. Mary's guard Patty Mills comes back well from his broken hand."

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/budwithers/2008725301_withers10.html

GoZags
02-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Utah State in Boise is almost a home game for them too.

So correct. This scenario of Lunardi's would be very similar to the '02 6/11 matchup between Gonzaga and Wyoming.

'02 Wyoming was outright Champion of the Mountain West Conference.
'09 Utah State appears to be headed towards being Champion of the WAC

Wyoming got to play the opening rounds on a familiar conference foe's home court (only New Mexico has won more games on that court than Wyoming).

Utah State would get to play their opening round(s) on a familiar conference foe's home court (Boise State).

Gonzaga would get 350 to 550 tickets (as would 3 other schools in the same session). The balance of the house would be (as was the case in New Mexico in GU vs Wyoming) rooting loudly for their conference brethren.

So, I agree -- it doesn't matter how close Boise is to Spokane -- Gonzaga would be hosed under the scenario outlined in today's Bracketology.

TexasZagFan
02-10-2009, 02:51 AM
The Zags vs. Utah State...CBS would love the storyline of Stew Morrill coaching against his alma mater.

Book it, Danno!

75Zag
02-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Hey Guys, a Bulldog game in either Portland or Boise should be great news for GU and its NW fan base. A short drive instead of a plane flight is good for a lot of people. And tickets for first and second round games are always available either on StubHub (expensive but convenient) or from one of the many helpful scalpers that cruise the arena on game day. If you want to worry and grumble, worry about GU being sent to some God forsaken venue in Dixie to be offered up as canon fodder for the next "Davidson".

But first things first, let's win out in the WCC and win the tournament.

Go Bulldogs!

D Hark 2003
02-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Give us the 10 seed. We always work well from the underdog spot....

Pleasant Peninsula
02-10-2009, 09:15 AM
The balance of the house would be (as was the case in New Mexico in GU vs Wyoming) rooting loudly for their conference brethren.

I don't think that's necessarily true. Boise always seems to have A LOT of Gonzaga fans. Sure there would be some that were rooting for the WAC team and some that would just root for the upset, but I think at least half of the impartial Idahoans would line up with the Zags.

Give us the 10 seed. We always work well from the underdog spot....

Except for two years ago...

mtzaga
02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
The Zags vs. Utah State...CBS would love the storyline of Stew Morrill coaching against his alma mater.

Book it, Danno!

The NCAA tourney may be the only way to get Stew Morrill to play his former team. They love Stew in Missoula and he has not been back there either.

lothar98zag
02-10-2009, 11:20 AM
The way things stand now with GU, I'm almost certain GU won't be getting a #3 seed or better, so I'm praying for a #6 seed. And I could care less about the location.