BobZag
02-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Anybody care?

kazzag
02-09-2009, 10:24 AM
not really.
#21 coaches
#19 AP
I am a little shocked, but we'll take it. Not sure if we deserve to be that high. Memphis is where they deserve to be, in the top 10.

77Zag
02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
21 isn't all that bad considering the game vs Memphis ---
I think seeing Memphis rise to 10 shows that their value was increased immensely by drubbing our Zags.

We are still respected --

St. Mary's is still drawing votes? Guess it pays to be on the panel

Angelo Roncalli
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

CDC84
02-09-2009, 10:29 AM
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_Men.html

The Zags are at 38 in the RPI as of today.

BobZag
02-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Zags are still awesome!

:1bestever:

MDABE80
02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
POLLS and voters are giving us a gift. We know we're not that good. It's nice and all that to be ranked. (same ranking in AP by the way), but we know how silly this is. Just not tough enough to climb out of a hole....let alone tough enough to not be in a hole in the first place. Well, we finish off the WCC.and go through the motions of getting to the NCAA, lose one and go home again to watch the other teams decide it all.

Does anyone see reversible features? I say.......put the team who finished the Memphis game on the floor and let em work. They'll win. Sorry to be so harsh.

malmer7
02-09-2009, 10:31 AM
i'd say 21 and 19 means the pollsters took it pretty easy on us as we could have been hit much, much harder.
do i care is the question, and i'm thinking most pollsters don't even watch the games these days, just check out the box scores and w-l's, so no not really - just glad we are in the rankings for recruiting reasons i guess.

ZagMan in Philly
02-09-2009, 10:36 AM
Zags are going to shock the world (well at least to some posters on this board) by making to the Final 4 this year! :)
Go ZAGS!

former1dog
02-09-2009, 10:41 AM
POLLS and voters are giving us a gift.

A very generous gift. I'm a true blue Gonzaga fan. Will be until I die.

Sorry, we're not one of the best 20 teams in the country.

EngineerZag
02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
It all depends on how we play on a given night. When we focus and defend, we are one of the top 10 or even top 5 teams. When we play like we did Saturday, we don't look like a top 25 team at all.

Ezag
02-09-2009, 11:10 AM
We definitely got a gift! Thanks :espn:

theirishzag03
02-09-2009, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't say the Pollsters or voters gave us anything!

I would like to give my thanks to most of the other teams ranked near the bottom of the top 25 for losing once or even twice. While we did blow a golden opportunity to move WAY up, we lost to a good team moving up, whereas others teams had "Portland State" type losses.

Also, I think it was clear to see we played our worst game and Memphis admittedly played their best of the year. Lucky for us, the voters know we have a classy coach who lets off at the end to not "rub it in" so the margin of victory by Memphis was a bit inflated as well.

Baldwinzag
02-09-2009, 11:32 AM
No need to thank ESPN/Coaches, yet take an opportunity to thank Duke, Wake Forest, Minnesota, Notre Dame, etc.

Considering these "elite" teams were all blown out(25+ pts) in the last week by inferior opponents, I think these occurences altered the Coaches perception of our loss a bit. We were given a pass by the pollsters, especially since Memphis was ranked ABOVE us unlike the losses by the aforementioned teams.

I firmly believe the "Duke-Clemson effect" allowed us to stay in the Top-25.

FlagZag
02-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Our generous ranking is due in part to the large number of really ugly upsets lately. Yesterday it was #9 Purdue losing by 18. We are not alone, but still...ARGH!!!

UberZagFan
02-09-2009, 11:38 AM
Lucky for us, the voters know we have a classy coach who lets off at the end to not "rub it in" so the margin of victory by Memphis was a bit inflated as well.

Huh? Are you saying GU let off and the margin was inflated?

Zag4Hire
02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
It makes sense that we didn't drop too far (although to be honest, I thought GU would drop out of the Top 25 Saturday night). Everything is perspective and a lot of teams lost this weekend that were ranked and many of them did not drop too far as well. Looking in the rear view, I would say GU is definitely better than almost all the teams receiving votes, except for a few, and I still think they are better than Teams 20-25 or 22-25 depending on the poll (hard to say with UW though). Honestly, it is all for not if you are ranked in the Top 10 and not perform in the tournament. Nobody brags about being ranked in the Top 10 during the season if you can't win more than a few games in the tourney. With this season being such a roller coaster (I call this the 'Icarus' complex for sports teams - the expectations were so high for this team that they may have read too much into it perhaps), it is all water under the bridge for the rest of the season and the WCC tourney if they can perform to the best of their abilities in the tournament. To me, with the talent and the coaching that GU possesses, I think they should come away with AT LEAST two wins.

theirishzag03
02-09-2009, 11:44 AM
of course I am :p ;) :confused:

Yeah just when we had it down to 11, it was obvious we let up...coach had Steven travel, we didn't employ the fouling strategy against a team known for missing clutch ft's, and we slowed the offense down a bit to use at least 20 seconds of shot clock. We proved we are very classy! Once the outcome is not in doubt, we always turn our focus to being classy.

UberZagFan
02-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Got it. Apparently, Uber forgot his sarcasm shades today.

theirishzag03
02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Got it. Apparently, Uber forgot his sarcasm shades today.

:D

Fonebone
02-09-2009, 12:59 PM
The reason I care what the polls rank us at is that it adds some objectivity to our perception of the team. Yes there are all kinds of faults and issues with the polls, but in the end, it is a group of very knowlegable basketball professionals that look at all the teams and give a more or less objective view.

In the case where a team is an unknown on the national scene, I think the polls can be way off in the sence that a good team may not get rated high enough. But in the case of a program like the Zags, which is well known and watched pretty well - I tend to trust the polls more than us fans. We won those last 9 games in a row or whatever it was, and we think we're pretty good, finally clicking. Then we get blown out by a really good team and everybody is convinced that we really aren't that good. Well, as has been pointed out above, lots of really good teams have gotten beat up on - it doensn'tt mean that they aren't a really good team. It might mean that they aren't a GREAT team.

So that's why polls matter - it is a more or less disinterested group of professionals that know a lot about basketball weighing in on the team. Utltimately all that matters, of course, is how we do in the next game. But the polls matter from a perspective standpoint.

DixieZag
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
I think they got us about right. We can give any team in the nation a tough game, if we bring our A game, and looking at the teams around us, that seems to be their defining characteristic. I think Memphis ends up in the top 5, and a two seed somewhere, we will be lucky to get the 5 that I have been talking about, the world continues to turn, and St. Mary's wants to beat us badly, they are terrible right now, but if we pout and whine, look out, we'll get beat again.

Reborn
02-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I like the polls. I always have, even in high school. It's just fun to see what others think about things. I'm not just interested in Gonzaga, but I like to see what they think about everyone. I believe that that Gonzaga does belong in the top 25. One loss doesn't mean a death sentence for a team, as quite a few on this board have pronounced. I am glad to see that there are people outside the Gonzaga community that see this Zag team as having some worthwhile qualilties. You do realize that Gonzaga was not the only team in the top 25 who lost this past week, nor the only team that lost by more than 15 points. Some objectivity does have it's place right now, and that's what the polls give us.

btzag
02-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Surprised how poorly everyone on this board thinks of this team, I mean I know it was a bad loss but jeez...

Just expand the AP rankings for a minute on ESPN and check out teams 9 up to GU. Seriously unimpressive group there even in the top 10. Michigan State anyone?! 9th in the country! They lost to Maryland by 18, UNC by 35!!, and have 2 losses in a weak big ten at home no less against Northwestern and Penn St. Their best win is by 4 againt Texas and then Minnesota. And that is a Top 10 team...where is the outrage on that.

People please put things in perspective and start researching how great the rest of the teams are in the country and maybe you will feel a little better about the Zags.

ZagNut08
02-09-2009, 06:56 PM
well if UW can lose to cal, beat standford, and move up in the rankings, I think it is fair we didn't drop out

many teams behind us lost to unranked team, and there were multiple blow outs...good week for us to lose, as far as the polls go

McZag
02-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Zags are going to shock the world (well at least to some posters on this board) by making to the Final 4 this year! :)
Go ZAGS!

Nothing would make me happier. Actually I'd love a double overtime loss in the first round with every Zag leaving his blood, sweat and tears on the floor. That would make me just as proud.

theirishzag03
02-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Nothing would make me happier. Actually I'd love a double overtime loss in the first round with every Zag leaving his blood, sweat and tears on the floor. That would make me just as proud.

Tell me you're McKidding????

2wiceright
02-09-2009, 11:11 PM
well if UW can lose to cal, beat standford, and move up in the rankings, I think it is fair we didn't drop out

many teams behind us lost to unranked team, and there were multiple blow outs...good week for us to lose, as far as the polls go

A big "AMEN" to that ZagNut!!! :D
(cont'd from 1st page)