PDA

View Full Version : Can We Talk About St. Mary's Now?

zaguarxj
02-09-2009, 07:56 AM
It's still a pretty important game. And with the new lighting, we'll even be able to see what's going on on TV.

LongIslandZagFan
02-09-2009, 07:59 AM
No... we must wallow in misery. :p

malmer7
02-09-2009, 08:25 AM
let's see... 2 days since an embarrassing loss, 3 days until an uninspiring matchup against a mills-less gaels squad, i'm sticking with the embarrassing loss at least until tomorrow

ZagManFan
02-09-2009, 08:29 AM
i'm sticking with the embarrassing loss at least until tomorrow

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

CanadZag
02-09-2009, 08:29 AM
While probably most of us fans (me especially included) are still stewing over Saturday's game, the boys sure can't!

St. Mary's is free-falling without Mills, and while I wish the best of luck on all of their games throughout the year (minus the two (or three) times we may see them), we need to take advantage.

As we saw in the second half against them in Spokane, we have a major advantage at positions 1 through 3 against the Gaels. Our "big 3" guards- who were all absent this weekend-need to bounce back.

We have nine games left before the dance. (And that includes LMU, Pepperdine, San Fran and SC Upstate- we won't be finding out too much about ourselves in those games) I think we really found out on Saturday what needs changing/improving before then.

We cannot afford to go on "skid row- part 2" now. A loss on Thursday, and we might as well just wear those black jerseys (I haven't seen so much attention/drama to something so trivial in a while) for the rest of the year.

GO ZAGS!

bullzag23
02-09-2009, 08:33 AM
It's still a pretty important game. And with the new lighting, we'll even be able to see what's going on on TV.

Perhaps the new lighting will allow the guys to see the basket down there too. I wouldn't mind seeing our losing streak in Moraga end on thursday. ;)

BobZag
02-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Are the Zags tough enough to bounce back and win in Moraga? Will the Zags still be pitying themselves after Saturday's embarrassment?

These questions and more will be answered Thursday night.

Tune in for "As the Zags Turn."

:o

malmer7
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
you would THINK that this loss might tick the players off and have them playing with some fire thursday.
however, history (the loss to uconn) tells us otherwise. i'd REALLY like to see them stop that trend however - no more back-to-back losses, take care of business and beat the gaels by 10 like they should. they cannot stay down on themselves too long, so hopefully they're not reading the boards the last few days!

gamagin
02-09-2009, 10:27 AM
we've been chastened.

We are returning to the Western Comfort Conference where we have dominated since the current crop was in grade school.

So there's no real reason that we should collapse in some big downer over the loss to what's their names (??? - I've forgotten, already) Saturday in the most humiliating manner conceivable in front of everyone who ever loved them, including me, and the rest of the nation, if not the world ?

There is every reason to enter Moraga with a big chip on each shoulder and a mission to continue on through the WCC like crap through a goose, the ultimate goal being the dance and a measure of redemption.

And so we should and so we will. imo.

zaguarxj
02-09-2009, 12:21 PM
let's see... 2 days since an embarrassing loss, 3 days until an uninspiring matchup against a mills-less gaels squad, i'm sticking with the embarrassing loss at least until tomorrow

Ok, let's split the difference. We can have until 3:00pm Tuesday to continue with the wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments. After that, we must have 2 doses of our favorite curative elixir (mine will come in the form of the aptly named "La Fin Du Monde" trippel ale), and start getting fired up for the Gaels.

El Voce
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Both teams are wounded. St. Mary's played ugly Saturday night in their big rivalry game against Santa Clara. It will be interesting to see which team bounces back the best. Without Mills playing, we clearly have more talent than the Gaels. The Gaels, however, will have the home crowd behind them.

What always happens to us when we play down there? Someone (perhaps someone not known as a shooter) will go crazy from behind the arc. Count on it! It always happens. I expect the game to be quite close if that happens. If it doesn't, Zags should be able to come away with a relatively easy "W".

sittingon50
02-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Did we ever come to a conclusion as to how the Memphis loss was tainted?:p

We may have, but I skipped a lot of threads after the loss. If that hasn't been settled yet, I suggest we don't move on.

dim4sum
02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Bouldin/gray/pargo, all of whom were absent without leave against Memphis,
Must play lockdown three point d if we are to win. I've reviewed video, Gray especially, is vastly out of position on three point d, especially in the first half. It's almost as if he doesn't get a wake up call until the second half.
But he's such a fluid player that no one seems to notice some of his glaring defects. They make the shots on him and he just shrugs it off with a smile.
It's time to unleash a little anger.

BobZag
02-09-2009, 02:58 PM
SMC will come out swinging. They'll be seeking revenge. A win for SMC puts them back into the NCAA Tourney. The Gaels beat the Zags before Mills was there, the Gaels will try to do it again, and Bennett will convince them they can do it.

Gonzaga had better mean business down there.

malmer7
02-09-2009, 03:03 PM
alrighty, it's officially closer to thursday's game time than it is to saturday's loss so per my earlier agreement, i'm now on to the gaels.
this is going to be much too close a game - we SHOULD blow them out even if it is a home game for them, because this team is really reeling right now without their leader. but i've seen these guys play us in their building before (and before mills) and they absolutely just bring "it" every time. if we have ANY letdown from Saturday we loose, but if we come out fiercely and fresh in the beginning, we hang on to win a close one - i'm going to try and get tickets so i know i will be yelling at our boys to get them fired up for the start of that game (although if a screaming 12,000+ at spokane arena can't do it i don't know how i'm expected to...).

former1dog
02-09-2009, 03:03 PM
The one thing I can say is that St. Mary's is reeling (sp?) and need a win against us big time. They will be very motivated, kinda like Memphis needed that win against us Saturday and were motivated.

adoptedzag
02-09-2009, 03:04 PM
We need to break 100, with somewhere in the neighborhood of 13 3's made for me to think that the L on saturday is behind the zags.

Kiddwell
02-09-2009, 05:56 PM
This game is SMC's season. They beat us, they're still (maybe) in the Big Dance at-large picture. They lose, well, they better get us in Vegas.

The early line from the Kiddwell Sports SuperComputer (powered by two sweaty pits, one stanky gym sock) has the Zags pulling away late...by 10.

:]

btzag
02-09-2009, 06:55 PM
St. Mary's without Mills is really lacking at the guard position and we should completely dominate that area of the game. I watched the UP game and they just buried St. Mary's on the perimeter both offensively and defensively. St. Mary's could only go to Simpson and Samhan on the inside to give itself a shot which brings me to my point on this game.

What kind of game does Daye bring to this matchup? Simpson manhandled him in the first matchup and I thought Daye had the worst game out of all the Zags against Memphis. He was beat mentally and physically and he wore that on his sleeve as he always does with his emotions. So now the Zags are going on the road and Simpson is going to take it right at him, early and often. If Simpson dominates they have a shot but if Daye can hold his own this will be a blowout.

Reborn
02-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I think it was apparent, even before he got hurt, that Patty mills was the guy who drove this team. After he got hurt in the first half against Gonzaga their team fell apart. From everything I have read about St. Mary's this year Mills not only was their leading scorer but their inspirational leader. He has been sorely missed.

They haven't done well at all since then, and have been reeling the ways the Zags did after our UCONN loss. The question is, Can they reverse it? WE will find out in a few days. The Zags, on the other hand, need a win just as badly after our poor showing Saturday. I think both teams will be ready for a good fight. Gonzaga certainly has more weapons now, but will we be able to use them effectively. I am sure their coach has been studying the Memphis game Saturday at length and trying to figure out what they did to stop the Zags. Memphis is a very confident team right now, and certainly neither St. Mary's or Gonzaga seems all that confident to me right now, so it will be interesting to see he can pull it back together. St. Mary's WAS very confident until Mills went down. I wonder if they can get it back? Honestly, I don't think so. But another good question is how wounded will the Zags egos be. If they are hanging their head the way they did after the UCONN loss, they will be ripe for another loss to St. Mary's. I'm getting excited for the game because it's just one more very important game. To me every game is important from here on out. There are tough games left that can help the Zags get tougher. I disagree with many bloggers here that it will be a cakewalk the rest of the way. That is pure nonsense. Every team is waiting, one by one, to knock the Zags off. And probably the team that is waiting the most is St. Mary's.

Das Zagger
02-09-2009, 10:14 PM
A win for SMC puts them back into the NCAA Tourney.

You think? I dunno about this. I know their AD is communicating with the NCAA to say "Hey, we were great with P Mills but are struggling without him, he's a star and stars mean ratings."

I just don't think a win gets them back in the tourney. They're gonna have to win more than just one. They will come out looking for a fight though.

jim77
02-10-2009, 01:28 AM
Lets see...one of our players was tugging onto the trunks of their star player when he was injured. Since then their season has basically gone out the window. If anyone thinks this will be a cake walk they better think again....its payback time for the Gaels. Gaels by a dozen.

beatsc
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Lets see...one of our players was tugging onto the trunks of their star player when he was injured. Since then their season has basically gone out the window. If anyone thinks this will be a cake walk they better think again....its payback time for the Gaels. Gaels by a dozen.

The Zag's board has been very supportive of Mill's since he went down. That support has been great to read. But the GAEL fans (including me at courtside) will make it very hard on Pargo during the game.

With that said, the only Zag that scares me is Bouldin. I think the rest of your starters are playing well below their potential. I just don't see the team chemistry that has been a Zag hallmark in the past.

GAELS win a close one at home.

beatsc

JAGzag
02-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Zags have not proven any consistency; their mental toughness has been questioned all year. If recent history is any indication (ie, UCONN), this team will not come out swinging while SMC has everything to lose.

Gaels by 12.

... hope I'm wrong.

gamagin
02-10-2009, 12:56 PM

patty slipped, turned his ankle or slid AFTER he blew by JP. JP, imo, was trying to slow him down but he had alrady gone by when he skidded and landed on his hand.

I don't think it's fair or right to suggest JP had anything to do with PM's accident. From where I sat he had nothing to do with it.

Besides, that's not the way he plays. I've never seen him involved in a cheap shot.

lothar98zag
02-10-2009, 01:05 PM
The Zag's board has been very supportive of Mill's since he went down. That support has been great to read. But the GAEL fans (including me at courtside) will attempt to make it very hard on Pargo during the game.

fixed

GAELS win a close one at home.

beatsc

I think it'll either be really close the whole way, or GU will destroy SMC. I think it's up to GU's starting 5+1 to decide which way it goes.

beatsc
02-10-2009, 01:12 PM
patty slipped, turned his ankle or slid AFTER he blew by JP. JP, imo, was trying to slow him down but he had alrady gone by when he skidded and landed on his hand.

I don't think it's fair or right to suggest JP had anything to do with PM's accident. From where I sat he had nothing to do with it.

Besides, that's not the way he plays. I've never seen him involved in a cheap shot.

What are you trying to say my friend? Pargo grabbed his shorts.....end of story. Are you trying to say that Mills was already down when Pargo grabbed him? What? Try to explain it so it makes sense. I am sure you read great books up there. Use your writing skills.

beatsc

JAGzag
02-10-2009, 03:13 PM
What are you trying to say my friend? Pargo grabbed his shorts.....end of story. Are you trying to say that Mills was already down when Pargo grabbed him? What? Try to explain it so it makes sense. I am sure you read great books up there. Use your writing skills.

beatsc

I think it's ridiculous to suggest Pargo had anything to do with this fall. I saw this suggestion on the Gael site and even the St Mary fans were quick to shoot it down, it's just sour grapes. I've seen the video a number of times and it never even crossed my mined that he was the cause. Move on.