PDA

View Full Version : Who is our strength coach and where is he?

HillBillyZag
02-08-2009, 03:14 PM
Perhaps I am looking in the wrong places, but I can't seen many signs of rippling muscles and washboard abs among any of our athletes? Micah, Austin, Will, and several others are slim enough that an extra 10-20 lbs of muscular bulk would show up immediatly. And I hav'nt seen it. Steven and Matt look like they have hit the weights some, but both of them were solid to begin with. I am not knocking the strength coach or questioning the results of his work. Perhaps the coaching staff might be happy with it?, for myself I just can't see it?

CTDeSmetZagAlum
02-08-2009, 03:18 PM
coach steve delong or mike nilsen....

steve is huge. will has bulked up but its tough b/c of height. jh is solid... ira could kill a man with his pinky. Pargo stopped eating BK and Mickey Ds every day and i hope he hasnt concoted his extra cheesy cheetos with hot sauce and pickle juice any more. i think its more psychological will power and endurance, which happens. we just didnt play our game. it happens.

MedZag
02-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Pargo stopped eating BK and Mickey Ds every day and i hope he hasnt concoted his extra cheesy cheetos with hot sauce and pickle juice any more.

FYI Pargo Munch is extra hot cheetos, frank's hot sauce, and pickle juice ;)

I think its more genetics this year.

ambition
02-08-2009, 07:19 PM
spot on! Daye has potential to go to the next level, but that guy needs to put on a lot of weight... And the simple fact of that game was, MEMPHIS WAS JUST BETTER... I love listening to Jay Bilas and Knight commentating the game, they call it like it is... Memphis is just better all around, hands down..
I did like the play of Goodson for the last 4 minutes...

once the zags think they have nothing to loose, the pressure is off and they play hard, like the should all the time, but too little too late in this situation.

Hopefully somebody will get some fire in the zags, but I dont think it will happen. There is no passion or intensity, and nobody can win without those.

hooter73
02-09-2009, 08:46 AM
From what I hear from inside the room you cant put weight on when you are lazy in the weight room (*cough Austin).

Im more worried that Sacre is so trim and lean. Less than 5% body fat is amazing shape but on a center thats lean. - just guessing on the percentage but yousee my point.

malmer7
02-09-2009, 09:52 AM
i think the question is a valid one. but recruiting is largely at blame here as well (understand that it might not be called into question if sacre was healthy right now).
we have gone out and recruited skinny, athletic talent. these guys are long, their fairly quick, they can shoot outside - their skillsets are amazing, but their just not thick guys and i think it's probably tough to bulk up kids like daye and downs.
bouldin, pargo and others are looking strong, but that's just their natural body style (built like linebackers the announcers like to say). rarely does the player that comes along have the skillsets of these guys AND the body to bang underneath, and if they do they usually go to a top 5 program. we went with some seriously skilled kids and you can't really knock recruiting for that, but sometimes we might have to consider passing on skills and getting the bodies we need in there. should be interesting to see if that becomes a focus over the next few years.

former1dog
02-09-2009, 12:18 PM
In a sign of desperation, Gonzaga announced the signing of Charles Atlas as the new strength and conditioning coach.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1711/atlas01tm5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

UberZagFan
02-09-2009, 12:33 PM
we have gone out and recruited skinny, athletic talent. these guys are long, their fairly quick, they can shoot outside - their skillsets are amazing, but their just not thick guys and i think it's probably tough to bulk up kids like daye and downs.

You can add Poling to that list.

former1dog
02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
Who was Mark Spink's strength and conditioning coach?

(This post is meant to be ironic, in case there is any confusion.)

BilboZaggins
02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Compared to what he was in high school, Steven is now a combo of Rambo, Mr. T and that guy in "Raiders of the Lost Ark" who gets filleted by the propeller while fighting Indy.

The dudes are lifting weights. What I'd like to see is a litter higher bball IQ.

Ezag
02-09-2009, 01:31 PM
They need to get on that new Jessica Simpson Diet to Bulk up@:D

rennis
02-09-2009, 01:36 PM

Mark had more willpower than most players today do. It's like two different generations. If Heytvelt had that kid's desire...holy sh*t...

Das Zagger
02-09-2009, 01:38 PM

That dude was wiry, he had all his strength in his wires.

former1dog
02-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Mark had more willpower than most players today do. It's like two different generations. If Heytvelt had that kid's desire...holy sh*t...

BINGO!!

Mark had that I don't care if I'm a skinny kid from a (very) nice family from the suburbs, I'm still gonna kick your ass willpower.

And, Mark wasn't the exception on his team, just the best example I could think of attitude overcome physicality (or lack thereof).