PDA

View Full Version : Guy's don't over-react to last nite...

adallastiger
02-08-2009, 09:11 AM
Look, two years ago we had a Thursday game at UTEP..May have been Wednesday, but I think Thursday. We flew to Dallas for a Saturday nite game against SMU...it was EVERYTHING was could do to win in the last minute.

Look, no question you guys are a bit soft..that is said respectfully. But I think having an emotional game on Thursday and having to get ready for us two days later is just tough. Had you played Wednesday nite, last nite would have been somewhat different. Would we have won? Yes, I have no doubts. But you would have stayed with us until the 8 minutes mark of the second half.

Agreed. We are a NIGHTMARE matchup. Our guards with Evans and Anderson are six six each with long wingspans. It is simply very hard for opposing guards to get shots off. Same thing happened to Michigan State, Texas, and UCLA last year. And to a large extent against Kansas in the championship game, most of their points came in the paint.

I don't understand why Micah did not get more shots last nite, he was hitting, but again, those were very long shots.

Bottom line is that I think you guys still have a VERY GOOD team, and you MAY, depending on matchups, get far in the tournament. There are very few teams that match up with us, so don't get down.

Keep your chin up, there IS MUCH MORE THAT IS RIGHT WITH YOUR TEAM THAN WHAT IS WRONG. Stay confident, with a bit of luck and a decent seeding, there should be no reason you cannot make the sweet sixteen. After that, not sure if I see you elite 8 or beyond. But anyone that makes the sweet sixteen...you just never know.

Last nite's poor performance had more to do with a Thursday nite game that somehow should not have been played at that time one way or the other. I don't mean to take anything away from my Tigers...we could not play better.

But don't lose confidence....you are much better than you think!

LongIslandZagFan
02-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the classy post. Too many on this board are spending their time looking for the best place to jump off the bandwagon and at the same time looking for a bus/semi/train/space shuttle to throw players in front of. They don't get supporting a team but have mastered tearing them down.

zagzilla
02-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Agreed with most of what you said except the part about Thursday game. This team plays Thursday/Saturday every week. No excuse.

Tigers whipped us. Congrats.

adallastiger
02-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I suppose we have to play around the grizzlies schedule. But we are mostly a Wednesday and Saturday type of things.

Wow, I think Thursday and Saturday is just tough.

Also, we don't get to play a lot of Saturday nite games at home because of the Grizzlies. So Thursday and Saturday afternoon would be way too tough.

Again, keeps your heads up, it's a long season, and you have a nice team.

Zag4Hire
02-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the classy post. Too many on this board are spending their time looking for the best place to jump off the bandwagon and at the same time looking for a bus/semi/train/space shuttle to throw players in front of. They don't get supporting a team but have mastered tearing them down.

It's actually comments like yours that I find the most disturbing. I'm sorry, the Zags look like a well-oiled machine and are doing just fine. If something is broke, you try to understand how to fix it. People mention a lack of heart by the players or lack of effort last night..if that's the case, what do we do? Is it the lineup? Are the plays being drawn up not capitalzing on specific stengths? Do we not have the horses to compete with the big dogs? I think their is just a collective desire to understand why this team does not excel at times and posts like yours I think are the most damaging. Don't question the team, coaching staff or their desire? Really, just buy the tickets and merchandise, clap and scream when needed, etc. No I think Gonzaga fans expect more and want more from their squad and that shows how healthy their fan base is. Go to the boards for teams that have not had the success of Gonzaga. Posts are only by a few and posts are only a couple times a day. Why? Because there are no expectations and the amount of die-hard fans are far and few between. But you would see that they would continue to question moves, lineup changes, etc. Why? Because they care. I think by throwing around 'bandwagon' fans is just a way of saying that you won't engage the conversation. I would venture to say that people who paid a premium for last night's seats would not be content with somebody telling them 'get over it, the team is in good hands, and don't bother being a GU fan if you don't have anything nice to say'. Right, the team needs to regroup, the coaching staff needs to address several issues, and the team as a whole, coaches and players, need to take care of business down the stretch and hope for the best. But how could you not expect a negative reaction after that debacle last night?

bigblahla
02-08-2009, 10:46 AM
It's actually comments like yours that I find the most disturbing. I'm sorry, the Zags look like a well-oiled machine and are doing just fine. If something is broke, you try to understand how to fix it. People mention a lack of heart by the players or lack of effort last night..if that's the case, what do we do? Is it the lineup? Are the plays being drawn up not capitalzing on specific stengths? Do we not have the horses to compete with the big dogs? I think their is just a collective desire to understand why this team does not excel at times and posts like yours I think are the most damaging. Don't question the team, coaching staff or their desire? Really, just buy the tickets and merchandise, clap and scream when needed, etc. No I think Gonzaga fans expect more and want more from their squad and that shows how healthy their fan base is. Go to the boards for teams that have not had the success of Gonzaga. Posts are only by a few and posts are only a couple times a day. Why? Because there are no expectations and the amount of die-hard fans are far and few between. But you would see that they would continue to question moves, lineup changes, etc. Why? Because they care. I think by throwing around 'bandwagon' fans is just a way of saying that you won't engage the conversation. I would venture to say that people who paid a premium for last night's seats would not be content with somebody telling them 'get over it, the team is in good hands, and don't bother being a GU fan if you don't have anything nice to say'. Right, the team needs to regroup, the coaching staff needs to address several issues, and the team as a whole, coaches and players, need to take care of business down the stretch and hope for the best. But how could you not expect a negative reaction after that debacle last night?

Excellent! I'm so tired of the phrase bandwagon fans. Who are they? Have they ever posted here? We're all Zag fans and we're all disppointed at some level over what we witnessed yesterday. All we can do is hope for the best and look to the future.

Go!! Zags!!!

drogba11
02-08-2009, 12:14 PM

I'm sorry but sports boards are about peoples opinions and debating them. I love this board for information on recruits and finding online game casts and thats about it. It seems like when arguing a point people are all over you about being out of line. The point is to make an observation and debate it. These observations can be negative or positive. I find most of these threads to have no substance. Most of bloggers here hold each others hand. Its ok to be critical. I noticed a thread today questioning Pargo's ability to make it to the next level and they closed the thread. I don't get it? Its a legit question. Heck I'll probably be kicked off for posting this. My point is sports are about passion, debate, and yes naming calling at times. Its a place to argue civilly. Its ok to argue and show some passion, we all don't have to be in agreement all the time.

Seattle_Zag
02-08-2009, 12:37 PM

Well said, LIZF. I think your true colors show after a loss. A lot of people have decided to bash players/coaching/the team in general instead of offering constructive criticism on how to turn things around.

I have a feeling that a lot of GU fans are only fans when we are winning. I know I may be killed for making this statement, but how many "fans" would watch every game of a losing season? I know someone who didn't watch the second half of last night's game. Through the good and the bad, I am there. Would you be?

DixieZag
02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I am one that sat in the old Kennel and watched Spradley and McPhew and sat through an 8-20 season. But different fans react differently, I turned the TV off with 11 minutes to play last night, mostly because I didn't like how I looked to my young daughter. Just a thought, just because some "check out" early doesn't mean that they are only a fan when winning.

zagar
02-08-2009, 01:57 PM
I'm not sure I agree with the original poster that the game would have been different if we had played on Wed. instead of Thursday, but I agree completely with this: "there IS MUCH MORE THAT IS RIGHT WITH YOUR TEAM THAN WHAT IS WRONG."

I won't tell anyone to stop posting their opinions, but I think everyone should take a moment to reflect on how much is right with the team and program. It puts things into perspective.