PDA

View Full Version : Offensive woes continue to hurt us.

Reborn
02-08-2009, 08:06 AM
My biggest concern for the Zags all year has been our poor shooting. This is the worst shooting Zag team I have ever seen. And for that reason it just doesn't look like Zag basketball to me. Against the best teams in the country, it is very difficult to score inside if you can not shoot well from the outside. And (here's the killer) it's tough to score from the outside if you can not score from inside.

Because of our poor outside shooting the Zags have built an offense where we attack with our guards. Unfortunately, the best way to beat Gonzaga is to get some tough guys and plug up the middle. Just like Memphis did last night. If you want to compete against a great defensive team like Memphis you had better have some guys who can shoot from the outside. This, to me, is our biggest problem.

Our 3 guards were 4-20 last night. Yep! 20% shooting. And 0% shooting from the 3 pt line. Yep! I wasn't kidding. 0%! And I think that 3 of those 4 buckets that they did make were lay ins. Yep. Our guards made one jump shot, and it was not even a three.

And yet, there was one Zag who was hitting from the outside, and that was Micah. Yep. 3-3 in fact. What puzzles me is why did we NOT get him the ball more for shots. He was obviously on fire last night, yet, overall, we were not getting him the ball. And actually, Josh, was having a pretty good offensive night, and, overall, we were not getting him shots very much. I also thought Austin looked pretty good on offense, and I thought Memphis was having difficulty matching up with him. Austin's problem is he can not stay on the floor. Last night it wasn't his fouling that sent him to the pine. It was his lack of effort on defense and on the boards. I wonder if Austin is sick. He just looks soooooo tired out there. He seems to have almost no energy at all. Especially last night. He was invisible on defense and the boards.

I will say one thing that gives me hope. There are only a few teams out there who play defense the way Memphis does. And I don't think there is a team out there who has 3 guards that are as tough as Memphis'. Let's just hope and pray that we are not in their bracket.

onendonezags
02-08-2009, 08:38 AM
The ZAGS have been a horrible shooting team for years.

They only time they could make shots is when they are ahead of a bad team by 20 pts.

Ravio and Schlep were great examples. They couldn't hit water from a boat in a close game.

Dikau and Morrison were clutch. Baptista was the man.

The 1999/2000 zags were all heart.

zagbapi
02-08-2009, 08:39 AM
My biggest concern for the Zags all year has been our poor shooting. This is the worst shooting Zag team I have ever seen. And for that reason it just doesn't look like Zag basketball to me. Against the best teams in the country, it is very difficult to score inside if you can not shoot well from the outside. And (here's the killer) it's tough to score from the outside if you can not score from inside.

Because of our poor outside shooting the Zags have built an offense where we attack with our guards. Unfortunately, the best way to beat Gonzaga is to get some tough guys and plug up the middle. Just like Memphis did last night. If you want to compete against a great defensive team like Memphis you had better have some guys who can shoot from the outside. This, to me, is our biggest problem.

Our 3 guards were 4-20 last night. Yep! 20% shooting. And 0% shooting from the 3 pt line. Yep! I wasn't kidding. 0%! And I think that 3 of those 4 buckets that they did make were lay ins. Yep. Our guards made one jump shot, and it was not even a three.

And yet, there was one Zag who was hitting from the outside, and that was Micah. Yep. 3-3 in fact. What puzzles me is why did we NOT get him the ball more for shots. He was obviously on fire last night, yet, overall, we were not getting him the ball. And actually, Josh, was having a pretty good offensive night, and, overall, we were not getting him shots very much. I also thought Austin looked pretty good on offense, and I thought Memphis was having difficulty matching up with him. Austin's problem is he can not stay on the floor. Last night it wasn't his fouling that sent him to the pine. It was his lack of effort on defense and on the boards. I wonder if Austin is sick. He just looks soooooo tired out there. He seems to have almost no energy at all. Especially last night. He was invisible on defense and the boards.

I will say one thing that gives me hope. There are only a few teams out there who play defense the way Memphis does. And I don't think there is a team out there who has 3 guards that are as tough as Memphis'. Let's just hope and pray that we are not in their bracket.

You're spot on about Micah, he was on last night and should have gotten the ball a lot more. Another thing I noticed is that once Few started putting in other players in the 2nd (much too late unfortunately) then things started turning around.
The players seemed tired, and unfortunately we were out coached yet again. Memphis played great......

onendonezags
02-08-2009, 08:44 AM
Few said on ESPN that Josh is not comfortable in the paint.

Poor boy, 6 foot 11 and he doesn't like to get bumped around.

He feels better 23 feet from the rim.

Well, why have him out there then. Certainly not for his rebounds. 39 minutes played and ZERO offensive boards and a whopping 6 defensive boards against memphis. If I was FEW, I say you cannot shoot until you get 3 offensive boards.

Can you imagine the money Josh left on the table. He could've went to a big program where they could have brought in a pro to "Teach" him how to shoot a jump hook. Perhaps learn the "Drop Step"? Oh, that box out and rebound will help in the pros too. But, he'll never find out.

Pargo probably left millions on the table just like Ronnie did in coming back.

This team obviously is missing some pieces. Gotta peg it on the recruiting. Gotta find a couple bangers, not just guys that want to sit out by the three point line and are afraid to get bumped.

Overrated and ONENDONE come march madness.

ZagAddict
02-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I agree that this Zag team is not very good from shooting outside shot, but it's not going to improve anytime soon. I love Goodson's effort, but his outside shooting is even worse than Pargo's (season - 0-5 3pt shots... 0%). It especially hurts the Zags when the point guard in this offense can not knock down outside shots.

S.U. Chieftain
02-08-2009, 11:51 AM
I grimace when Pargo takes an outside shot, and I know that the future point - Meech - doesn't have an outside shot...yet (hoping for a lot of practice in the off season).
Yesterday, Micah should have started the 2nd half, as he was our only offensive threat in the first.
And what's happened to Gray's outside shot? Even his free throw shooting has gotten bad.