PDA

View Full Version : Sense of Urgency?

Stache
02-08-2009, 07:42 AM
Long, long ago, GU was the cinderella and it had to build its resume throughout the season just for a dance invitation. There was hunger and killer instinct. You could see C. Calvary wanting to win by 25 because he wasn't satisfied with a mere W.

Once the invitations started to come with regularity, then there was the spotlight to play for and the accolades and the new gym and the ESPN tv lights...

Then, we turned a curve and had special players arrive. A few had great talent and a sense of urgency or competitiveness driving their talent. On more occasions than not, the competitive drive and talent raised the level of the 5th, 6th and 7th players on the roster and the wins piled up.

At somepoint before and during the current season, the team has tended to lose its sense of urgency. Yes, the season is long, the travel is grueling, and the competition is stiff, but the gut check, combative, urgency is sometimes inexplicably missing. Not always, but enough to make you wonder what makes "it" go missing.

If 11,500 fans, ESPN's dog and pony show, and last year's National Runners-Up don't get your sense of urgency and your desire to compete to a maximum level, what will?

We can be missing pieces (back to the basket scorer . . .), we can have a bad game every once in a great while, we can even go through injury plagued stretches that change our talent level and team chemistry, but a great program filled with talented kids plays with a Sense of Urgency at home, on the road, against BCS teams and against RPI bottom feeders.

Where does this team find "it?"

jazzdelmar
02-08-2009, 07:45 AM
One and done

btzag
02-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Hopefully they learn from this experience but only time will tell. Keep in mind that going into today's(Sunday) games 14 of the AP top 25 had lost a game this week. A team or two had lost both their games and most of the losses that these top 25 teams had were to much worse teams than Memphis. This was a bad performance but I'm just saying it happens unless you are a 1 seed and we all know we are not that.

Stache
02-08-2009, 07:58 AM
BTzag - Agreed. Good teams still lose. I was one of the few that thought the UConn lose wasn't horrible (our reaction to it, on the other hand. . .). At least we fought against UConn.

Its the lack of fight in the dog at inexplicable times that speaks to a temperment or personality that concerns me. I think most of our guys compete, but there is a grit that some of them just don't have and it will be the undoing of any team - not just the Zags.

MedZag
02-08-2009, 10:06 AM
If 11,500 fans, ESPN's dog and pony show, and last year's National Runners-Up don't get your sense of urgency and your desire to compete to a maximum level, what will?

We can be missing pieces (back to the basket scorer . . .), we can have a bad game every once in a great while, we can even go through injury plagued stretches that change our talent level and team chemistry, but a great program filled with talented kids plays with a Sense of Urgency at home, on the road, against BCS teams and against RPI bottom feeders.

Where does this team find "it?"

I don't think it was a sense of urgency. It think it was toughness. It was confidence. We actually came out and played well the first few minutes of the game, hung with the Tigers, even held the lead for a brief second.

Then came the 7 turnovers in 8 possessions. The Memphis run, with 3's, slashes, and dunks.

Instead of tightening their belts another notch, hunkering down, and battling, the guys looked glazed over. You could tell, they didn't believe they could win anymore. But even worse than not believing they could win, they stopped trying to win.

Areyoukiddingme
02-08-2009, 10:21 AM
The opponent with heart,toughness and a great teacher will always win. Has GU turned into the Cobra Kai of basketball.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i219/MavsPimp/cobraKai.jpg

theirishzag03
02-08-2009, 11:58 AM
SPOT ON!

To add a bit- the officiating (not playing through it) seemed to turn them from hopeful to discouraged.

HillBillyZag
02-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Agreed. urgency, toughness, court sense, those are the things that have really hurt this team. As for toughness, I an no way advocating dirty play,but when you take it to the hole do it like you mean it, if the defender stands his ground make him earn the foul. If he ends up out of bounds and into the cheerleaders & photogs, he will most likely give it some thought the next time.
Take notice, Matt . When you are getting pushed out of your favorite set up spot, Josh, Will, Ira, front him and quickly mule kick him in the ankle to get his attention and let him know to keep his rear off you. If he has a short fuse, light it, pull his trunks, step on his instep, an unintentional elbow(only if he starts it) ask about his momma? Look I played in the paint for 4 yrs in HS at 6'3" 185# so I learned quickly that if you don't stand up for yourself they will eat you up.If you are shooting a right hand hook and the defender is over your right shoulder, lengthen your follow thru and let you elbow make contact. OOOuch! In short let your opponent know you will NOT be intimidated.

Stache
02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Agreed. I don't want dirty play or the posing that is the simpleton's toughness. But I'm not sure if I mind a technical for a little overexuberance????

Zag365
02-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Instead of tightening their belts another notch, hunkering down, and battling, the guys looked glazed over. You could tell, they didn't believe they could win anymore. But even worse than not believing they could win, they stopped trying to win.

Since we began the run of NCAA tournament teams, I can't recall any game where a GU team looked so pathetic and intimidated. Zags in the past have lost games due to lack of physical toughness, poor shot selection, bad luck, poor rebounding, failure to secure the ball in the final seconds, or missing a last chance shot, but I have never seen such absence of character. As MedZag says, after the first few minutes, they stopped trying to win (except when the bench went on a little spurt at the end, which ironically underscored that the margin of victory for Memphis was more a factor of the starters giving up early than anything else).

I like our players as individuals and I started the season thinking this team was as talented and deep as any we've had. That is what made this game so sad. Guys, you embarrassed yourselves by letting initial adversity overwhelm you. Zag success (and I mean reputation, not just wins and losses) has been built on combativeness and persistence. Please don't piss it away. Next trip to the MAC, please put your hands on the bulldog statue and recommit.

malmer7
02-09-2009, 07:46 AM
over the last few days i've REALLY been trying to convince myself of the following:
that we were victim to ol' moe, not a lack of toughness and not a lack of urgency... i keep going over the game in my mind and i want to tell myself that if a few of the early 3's would have dropped it would have been a completely different game, we really did have a lot of good looks that just didn't fall...
my "prediction" for this game was that whoever grabbed the early momentum would pull it out - the momentum i speak of would be grabbed by hustle plays and rebounding (which i felt would probably go memphis' way and they did).
i'm trying to tell myself that there's NO WAY we came out flat and lacked a sense of urgency because these guys knew how big of a game this really was - and so there's no way they lacked toughness in trying to keep memphis from extending a ridiculous lead at the end of the first half.
in the end - i've decided this: that we did come out flat with little sense of urgency for one reason or another (i can't figure out why but i'm sure others in this forum have their opinions) - we lacked toughness (both mental and physical) to power ourselves back into the game after falling down by 10-12 midway through the first half - and we simply ran up against a team that was more physical than we were, that wanted it more, that did all the little things to grab the momentum when it was there for the taking - we simply got ran out of the gym by the better team Saturday night.
i still believe that if we played them down the road things might be different, but this one was a tough one to watch and i just hope that it knocks something loose in our boys' heads and gets them playing like every game might be there last - because this would be an extremely fun team to watch if they came out with the same intensity as memphis on a regular basis...