PDA

View Full Version : Larry Gurgainious

Fonebone
03-18-2007, 08:24 PM
I was talking the other day to someone who knows the medical status of Larry, someone connected to the program, and I said that my understanding was that there was still uncertainty as to the status of his back, and that it would be hard to really know for sure if he was going to be ok. Their reply was: "He is fine. He had a fracture and its healed."

Does anyone else have any solid information from a reliable sourse. Or are any of you medical types, who know the nature of his back injury, able to explain if it is the type of injury that would normally be hard to know for sure if it is healed or not ? And is it the type of thing subject to reinjury, or once healed, is it as good as new ?

Birddog
03-19-2007, 05:32 AM
I was talking the other day to someone who knows the medical status of Larry, someone connected to the program, and I said that my understanding was that there was still uncertainty as to the status of his back, and that it would be hard to really know for sure if he was going to be ok. Their reply was: "He is fine. He had a fracture and its healed."

Does anyone else have any solid information from a reliable sourse.

So what's the deal there Fonebone, don't you trust your "source"? You laid out the credibilty in your opening statement then took it away with your question.

Birddog

GonzagaLove
03-19-2007, 06:24 AM
I posted this a few weeks ago. My good friend had a chance to talk with Larry for seveal minutes following the WCC championship game....while his kids were getting autographs. Larry told him he was good to go and fully expected to return and play next year.

zagco
03-19-2007, 06:57 AM
Boy, I sure hope we get him back. I liked his game a lot, even for a true freshman.

CDC84
03-19-2007, 08:46 AM
Imagine a full court press with Pargo, Ira Brown and Larry G harassing the opposing guards.

What a nightmare.

thickman1
03-19-2007, 08:53 AM
I miss LG. I sure hope he can get back no the court. It has had to be a tough year for him watching all those games courtside. Super teammate though. Always cheering his boys on. He deserves to be on that court.

BobZag
03-19-2007, 09:14 AM
During the WCC Tourney LG told the S-R that he was 75% and would begin to workout. From his mouth to the local media, he's not 100%.

Perhaps someone ambitious can link it?

Kids are always telling people they're fine when they're not. But when they know what they say will be printed, they are more truthful.

GonzagaLove
03-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Bob, I did not say Larry was 100%. Who would expect him to be 100% after sitting idle for months? He said he was better and fully expected to play next year. There was a question if Larry would ever return from this injury, and I think the information I shared answered that question. But, thanks for setting me straight.

sdzag
03-19-2007, 10:54 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/teamReport?categoryId=71913&type=StrategyAndPersonnel

This is from the Fox Sports Web Site:

KEY RETURNEES: Guards Matt Bouldin and Jeremy Pargo and forwards David Pendergraft, Abdullahi Kuso and Micah Downs all will be back, and Larry Gruganious should return as well after missing the season with a back problem..... Gruganious will be back after a promising freshman season two years ago, and there is a chance Heyvelt and Davis will return, too.

Getting Inside: Raivio, Gonzaga's best player and the WCC's co-Player of the Year, will be gone next season, but the Zags bring in the three best recruits in the WCC and return Larry Gurganious, who sat out the season with a back injury. Downs figures to be a bigger factor next season, too.

Just saying that it's out in the media.

youreachiteach
03-19-2007, 12:29 PM
I hope Larry gets 100% quickly.

zagfever86
03-19-2007, 04:20 PM
When healthy Larry can be a lock up defender similar to Eric Maynard of VCU.

TR11Zag
03-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Assuming he is 100% by next season, could he start? How would he fit in the proposed/ starting line up?

Would he bury PMAC on the depth chart?

thespywhozaggedme
03-19-2007, 05:18 PM
CDC,
Conversly, imagine opposing guards slacking off those 3, daring anyone of them to hit an outside jumper and double teaming our bigs. Other than Bouldin and Downs and Pendo, jump shooting may be our achillies heal next season.

As far as LG, where is he going to get playing time from. He's gonna be behind Downs, Pendo, Daye and Brown. I just don't know, but it will be intersting to see how it all plays out.

ZagMania
03-19-2007, 06:24 PM
I for one think we should have a pressing lineup that sees a good amount of playing time next year. I think one with LG, Downs, Daye, Ira, would be so long and athletic that we'd get a bunch of steals. If they manage to get down the court and into a halfcourt set I think that Daye and Downs are tall enough to prevent easy buckets for the bigs.

Throw in PMAC to further harass the other teams offense and to handle the ball as the PG and I think that lineup is solid. The theory would be getting steals and easy buckets, but in a half court set Downs can hit outside and from what I hear Ira and Daye can too. Plus, PMAC has a real nice stroke when he's playing with confidence.

Wolkster
03-19-2007, 06:46 PM
>Plus, PMAC has a real nice stroke when he's playing with confidence.

That's a pretty big 'when'.

Does PMac even come back next year? He got maybe 1-2 minutes a game in the WCC and NCAA tourney games. He's already been surpassed by Pargo and Bouldin. Next year he should slide further down the bench when juco Brown shows up and LG gets healthy.

Hopefully, as a senior he gets fighting mad and takes his starting job back from Bouldin and/or Downs. THAT would be great for GU.

UberZagFan
03-20-2007, 12:27 PM
Would he bury PMAC on the depth chart?

Any more than he's already buried?

MedZag
03-20-2007, 02:58 PM
CDC,
As far as LG, where is he going to get playing time from. He's gonna be behind Downs, Pendo, Daye and Brown.

Few is very loyal to vets at the beginning of the season. Daye and Brown will have to take minutes from LG and not the other way around.

UberZagFan
03-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Few is very loyal to vets at the beginning of the season. Daye and Brown will have to take minutes from LG and not the other way around.

I agree with the first sentence but not the second. LG played very little his frosh year and not at all his soph year. With respect to playing time "earned" based on being a "vet", he will be in essentially the same place as the newcomers and behind players like Matt and Downs.

lothar98zag
03-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Hopefully, as a senior PMAC gets fighting mad and takes his starting job back from Bouldin and/or Downs. THAT would be great for GU.

Based on this year, if PMAC is a starter at any point next year, that's either a REALLY good sign or a REALLY bad sign for GU - I don't think there's any middle ground.

tyra
03-20-2007, 05:16 PM
I literally pray that LG heals up. Even if he never plays round ball again, I'd like to think the young man can go through life without a back issue. And I am as big a fan as anyone of LG (see preseason posts). But I think his value to the Zags is even higher if he is an off-the-bench guy who brings an immediate defensive lift. Because a defensive surge can change a game quicker than an offensive run (you not only stop the other team but it often charges the offense when it might not have been working. e.g a steal = breakaway layin), it is sometimes more important to have an LG come off the bench to change the momentum. Errol played this role last year to great result.

nosebleedzag
03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Amen

mdZag23
03-20-2007, 06:17 PM
There were several people on this board trying to convince me that LG would not be on the team and that there is no room for him as a scholarship player!!!!

Please identify yourselves so that this thread of "starter" believers can mock you in public.

mendiant
03-20-2007, 07:09 PM
I attended the Banquet this year and asked him about his back when I got his autograph.

He had a very positive response. Nodding his head enthusiastically and saying it was fine. Had a little spark in his eye as he said so.

Rubbadub
03-20-2007, 07:47 PM
There were several people on this board trying to convince me that LG would not be on the team and that there is no room for him as a scholarship player!!!!

Please identify yourselves so that this thread of "starter" believers can mock you in public.

ok...i was one of the people saying that among a certain pool of three or four players, bc of obvious reasons, two wouldn't be here next year...unless two of them wouldn't mind walking on. I don't see what there is to mock in that statement. :)

Fonebone
03-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Sorry for the delay in responding to you. It's not that I don't trust my source. The source is in the medical feild and is connected to the team - so there is a lot of credibility there. It's just the way I am - I like to collect data from a lot of different sources. Especially with something that is uncertain like this back injury. I was curious if any of the medical people who are familiar with his injury could shed some detail on how well those types of injury usually heal. The conversation I had was brief, and I did not press for details.

Birddog
03-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Fonebone, I wish you were a reporter, they seem to run with any snippet they can get no matter the source. I do appreciate your being careful in this matter. I'm surprised you got that much info, divulging medical stuff is a no no these days.

Birddog

ZagNut08
03-21-2007, 09:17 AM
does anyone know if LG was able to workout with his injury. I dont fully understand the extent of the injury. It seems to me it would be very difficult to hit the weights, work on a jump shot, and obviously finish above the rim with his condition based on what I have read. Thus, all the areas I felt needed improvement may be worse next year after not playing for a year. None the less, I think he would be a valuable defender if Few ever decides to go with a deeper rotation and less minutes per player.

D Hark 2003
03-21-2007, 09:30 AM
I hope LG comes back, but I really hope Heytvelt comes back. If both return this is the year we make it beyond the sweet 16 IMO.
Starting Lineup for next year will be(obviously pending some legal and disciplinary issues, but i am optimistic the university will be forgiving on the issue of Heytvelt's return);

1) Pargo, backups are Bouldin, and PMAC
2) Bouldin, with Downs and Steven Gray as backups
3) Downs, with Pendo and LG as backups
4) Kuso, with Pendo, Downs, and Daye rotating
5) Heytvelt, with Kuso, Burgess, and Foster rotating

If Heytvelt is back this team is going to at least the sweet sixteen for sure! I can't wait. We have a bunch of really versatile guys on the team so there can be so many possible rotations. Downs can play the 2, 3 or 4. Bouldin can play the 1, 2, and even 3. PMAC can play 1 or 2. LG he could play the 2 or 3. Pendo can play the 3 or 4. Steven Gray will be interesting to watch and see how he does, he could possibly play the 1 or 2, he is a great shooter and with the loss of Raivio we can surely use another sharp shooter outside of Downs. Pargo is pretty much set at the point, but the bigs are definitely a question mark at this point. I sure hope Larry G is back as we could use all the athleticism we can get and he is a great defender.

Wolkster
03-21-2007, 09:55 AM
>1) Pargo, backups are Bouldin, and PMAC

Yes.

>2) Bouldin, with Downs and Steven Gray as backups

I see a fight here between Downs and Bouldin. Don't forget about Brown. He will supply instant help just like many of the past juco players.

There will probably be a four guard rotation with Pargo, Bouldin, Brown and whoever comes out between Gray and PMac.

>3) Downs, with Pendo and LG as backups

Pendo starts here, unless he starts at PF.

>4) Kuso, with Pendo, Downs, and Daye rotating

No way Kuso starts here. He is an offensive liability and will be a backup for Heytvelt. You have also forgot about Davis who at 6' 9" is perfectly suited for this spot.

>5) Heytvelt, with Kuso, Burgess, and Foster rotating

I doubt we will see Burgess or Foster in this rotation at all. I see Sacre getting minutes before those two.

jayray
03-21-2007, 03:29 PM
>4) Kuso, with Pendo, Downs, and Daye rotating

No way Kuso starts here. He is an offensive liability and will be a backup for Heytvelt. You have also forgot about Davis who at 6' 9" is perfectly suited for this spot.

You make a lot of assumptions about Heytvelt. Assumption #1) he will come back. Assumption #2) he improves his game to become a consistent player. Assumption #3) he is able to gain the respect of the team AND more importantly the trust and heart of Few. I can envision a year where Heytvelt is subbed in and out like PMAC was this year. If the staff works with Kuso over the off season and he continues to play as hard as he did this year - I can't see how how won't start. If he can develop his moves around the rim he is going to be a Batista with twice the hops.

wazZag
03-21-2007, 03:33 PM
If he can develop his moves around the rim he is going to be a Batista with twice the hops.

Not exactly. Batista had some of the softest hands you will ever see on a college big man. Kuso will be great if he develops touch, but they are apples and oranges IMO.

lothar98zag
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
If the staff works with Kuso over the off season and he continues to play as hard as he did this year - I can't see how how won't start. If he can develop his moves around the rim he is going to be a Batista with twice the hops.
:eek:

I certainly wouldn't bet on that happening, but if it did, I'd be a pretty happy man.

D Hark 2003
03-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Wolkster;
(This is all just my opinion, just thought i would throw that statement of the obvious out there)
You might be right about Heytvelts backups, but those dont matter because if he is on the team again he won't be coming off the court a whole lot and if he does they will move Kuso to the 5. Kuso will improve tremendously in the off season on his post and offensive moves, but one more thing about him, scoring is not his role. His role is to rebound and play solid defense ie blocking shots and altering shots. SO, Kuso starts at the 4 to get boards and block shots, and heytvelt at the 5. Davis will transfer schools because he has already transfered like 50 times in his career and if he didnt have a half smoked blunt in his pocket he and josh never would have gotten in trouble because the cops would not have smelled anything.

When it comes to the other three spots you can have sooo many different rotations with the personnel we will have there, but i think the best combination we can have will be DOWNS, PARGO, and BOULDIN. obviously Pargo will be at the point, and downs and bouldin can interchange at the two and three, but i think that will give us the most potent lineup we can have on the floor. I love Pendo, dont get me wrong, and he will get a lot of minutes, but i see his role next year staying about the same as it was much of this year. Scoring and boarding off the bench when he is in. LG will also create more competition for minutes so it will be interesting to see what FEW, (the guy who is actually the coach) does.

JLGutrocks
03-21-2007, 04:22 PM
5. Davis will transfer schools because he has already transfered like 50 times in his career and if he didnt have a half smoked blunt in his pocket he and josh never would have gotten in trouble because the cops would not have smelled anything.

Really? Do you know the situation?

Rubbadub
03-21-2007, 05:12 PM
You make a lot of assumptions about Heytvelt. Assumption #1) he will come back. Assumption #2) he improves his game to become a consistent player. Assumption #3) he is able to gain the respect of the team AND more importantly the trust and heart of Few. I can envision a year where Heytvelt is subbed in and out like PMAC was this year. If the staff works with Kuso over the off season and he continues to play as hard as he did this year - I can't see how how won't start. If he can develop his moves around the rim he is going to be a Batista with twice the hops.

I'm not sure what team you were watching this season, but there was nothing in any Zags game that should make you think Heytvelt wouldn't start over Kuso if he came back. I don't know where the "if he improves his game" comment came from...that was complete nonsense. Heytvelt was obviously right there with Raivio for the best player on the team. I like Kuso's energy and hustle but he is not the talent that Heytvelt is. Also, Kuso isn't just going to turn into JP over the offseason. He doesn't have the hands for it. He is going to be a contributor but theres no way he's going to be a starter...unless Heytvelt doesnt come back.

Rubbadub
03-21-2007, 05:23 PM
5. Davis will transfer schools because he has already transfered like 50 times in his career and if he didnt have a half smoked blunt in his pocket he and josh never would have gotten in trouble because the cops would not have smelled anything.

That was truly pathetic buddy. Next time think before you post.

JLGutrocks
03-21-2007, 05:28 PM
thanks for callin that out Rub. I had some scathing comments myself but hit the delete button before I vented.

JL

TrueLiz
03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
I do agree that Josh was a top player on the team, but he did seem to go through spells where he effort was questionable. Obviously I am basing that only what I saw on TV, so I could be completely wrong, but it was just what I observed. I would love to see a player that combined his skills & talent, with Kuso's non-stop energy and effort. Unfortunately, I can probably only do that on EA Sports March Madness.

Wolkster
03-21-2007, 08:53 PM
>Kuso will improve tremendously in the off season on his post and offensive moves

>If he can develop his moves around the rim he is going to be a Batista with twice the hops.

Never going to happen. You can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. Kuso doesn't have and never will gain the offensive skills needed to start. Maybe if he was a freshman, but he will be a senior.

Kuso is the high energy guy who supplies rebounds and blocks shots. That's it. He is an offensive liability. You can tell by the way to shoots free throws that he doesn't have a jump shot and he doesn't have fluid movement down low.

D Hark 2003
03-22-2007, 07:29 AM
I dont know if you (wolkster) are replying to me but i never said he would be the next Bautista, i just said he would improve his offensive post moves, but his role is not to score unless it is an offensive rebound and putback situation. He is the ben wallace of our team. Defense, and athleticism.

Rubbadub and JLGutRocks Whats pathetic about the truth. I wasnt saying that it was his fault that Josh had illegal substances but Davis had the illegal substance that smelled enough for the cop to search the vehicle. Also i think you are taking what i said there a little too seriously, that line was a little thing called a joke. Have a sense of humor you old crusty dudes. I think he should transfer, he has a history of transfering schools and Davis now has a history of getting into trouble with our star players while they are making bad decisions. He has contributed nothing to GU but bad publicity which is the same thing he contributed to the other schools he was at before he
transfered from them.

wazZag
03-22-2007, 08:44 AM
he has a history of transfering schools ....bad publicity which is the same thing he contributed to the other schools he was at before he
transfered from them.

Feel free to back either of these statements up with some facts. I would love to hear what you are referring to.