• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Hey, This Happens

Duke was wiped out 27 ps by Clemson.

Wake Forest was slaughtered even worse by an unranked team.

These things happen and as fans we need to understand this. See GoZags' thread. It has happened before and it will happen again.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • RenoZag
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Sure, ---t happens. Happens all the time. . .like death & taxes.
    The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• HOOTER
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2007

True, but we're not Duke or Wake Forest. They will get many quality wins in a tough conference to make up for the occasional loss. We don't have that luxury. We now go back to playing teams like Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount. This was our last chance to beat a premier team and, well, you saw what happened.

Comment

• GU32
        Kennel Club Material
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post

These things happen and as fans we need to understand this. See GoZags' thread. It has happened before and it will happen again.
        I agree. But the team can't have another free fall like after the Uconn game.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Keep sawing wood gets old, BZ

Comment

• WRHUradio
            Kennel Club Material
            • Mar 2007

BZ- Your point is absolutely correct

These things do happen, but I think with this program the Memphis game and vs the high-level athletic physical teams when GU gets knocked out they do not respond well.

I think if GU is in the game within like 8 pts at Halftime it's a way different 2nd Half (i know, duh) but what I mean is that they wouldnt be sulking and passive and instead be a bit more aggressive. They are way too sensitive as a program.

I don't know how to get a program tougher and more mentally aggressive in general, but I would imagine it has to begin in recruiting and identifying those traits as much as physical talent. In other words I have no idea if a Kelly Olynyk has that but a guy from small-town Canada is probably not going to be ready for a long time to go in vs a Memphis and try to rebound with the Joey Dorsey's, Taggart's and Hasbrough's of the world....not many people in the world can but that's why they are elite and to get there takes special qualities that this program may need to emphasize a little more.

Comment

• btzag
              Bleeds GU Blue
              • Feb 2007

Ahhh, nice to hear a sane comment amidst all the bs on the board after a loss. Losses happen and big losses happen and here was one for the Zags.

I personally feel like this group of Zags might have come into this game remembering the last three years, and losses, to Memphis. After last year all the talk was about how amazingly athletic Memphis was and how they 'beasted' the Zags inside, etc, etc, etc. Then we come out this year and have no fight or effort in a Gameday game in Spokane!?

I think past history played a part but I hope we bounce back well this next week. Two tough road games and the only thing that will cure this hurt is a couple wins/

Comment

• btzag
                Bleeds GU Blue
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                Jazz I'm sorry we are not undefeated. Inexcusable I know, but we are still a good team.

Comment

• montanazag88
                  Kennel Club Alum
                  • Sep 2007

Bob,

Thanks for the positive lift. Now, it is time to understand the reasons why "it happens" as good teams always do. Things I would like to see improve:

- Pressure defense from the beginning, not with 4 minutes left...waited way too long and frankly don't understand why we didn't take advantage of one of the greatest environments in Spokane yet in terms of pressure
                  - Traps instead of tight man-to-man when down by 15 with ANY time left on the clock...to do anything else is to stare at the headlights until you're dead
                  - Rebounds, rebounds, rebounds (sure there were a few non-calls on aggressive moves by their bigs to the bucket, but no excuse for no positioning and not evening up the numbers in the paint on your home turf - all 5 players should be crashing the defensive boards when you are getting no transition buckets)
                  - Screens on offense have been poor all year, we all saw this one coming....no hard screens against a quick defense means no offense
                  - Don't know how to solve this one, but players were never ready for this game mentally...and it showed from the tip-off

It happens, but it happened at home and in a fashion that looked mostly preventable. I look forward to their reaction to tonight.
                  montanazag88
                  P....A....TIENCE!

Comment

• Therunner
                    Zag for Life
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by montanazag88 View Post
                    - Screens on offense have been poor all year, we all saw this one coming....no hard screens against a quick defense means no offense
                    I think this observation is spot on. It is perplexing how poorly we screen defenders. If you watch Daye and Heytvelt at the top of the key, they don't even make an effort actually screen anyone, especially Daye. He literally does phantom screen all over the court. At this level, it is inexcusable and should be hammered on this week in practice. Get a body on someone, whether your screening or boxing out. Bball 101.

Comment

• gamagin
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

this defeat was complete.

We haven't come away from a major game with egg on our faces in quite a while. I can't remember when. We have always put up a fight even in defeat, we left on our shields, not carrying them.

We're famous for it.

But tonight was different. It was ugly. We were beaten every way we can be beaten.

My hope is we learn from what was a thorough whipping and we can start fresh and work our way back to becoming the Zags we can be, first in the league and then, god willing, at the dance.

Go Zags !
                      Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
                      Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
                      Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• B Wayne
                        Kennel Club
                        • Nov 2007

Well there is a bright side.

In December, the Zags lost four of five games over a two week span.

About two weeks later, GU defeated Santa Clara and USF by 30 each. Predictably, some of our keen eyed experts said they detected the Zags turned a corner. They denied simply basing there opinion upon the margin of victory against clearly outmanned teams, but rather by observing "how the team was playing."

Like Groundhog's Day, I'm looking forward to GU playing Santa Clara USF Pepperdine and Loyola Marymount in the next few weeks. And we will hear the same again.

I'm conflicted if it will be sad, or high comedy.

Comment

• rawkmandale
                          Banned
                          • Feb 2007

This was a good experience despite the outcome. In the NCAA, we'll be tested again. I don't think we'll see the lengthy paralysis we saw tonight -ever again. Tonight was an antidote against that (I hope and pray).

Frankly, Memphis was killer for 33 minutes, and we put on a serious run for the next 5 minutes. The talent is there, the "head" just needs to be able to flow, not freeze up.

Thank you, Josh, Micah and Meech (Ira and Steven to some degree) for not giving up. The others can recover and grow.

Comment

We play at St. Mary's on Thursday night. The Gaels got toasted by 18 tonight at Santa Clara, which effectively gives GU the WCC regular season championship. It will be interesting to see which team (if either) comes back and plays with confidence on Thursday night. The team that responds best to the butt whipping they received tonight will win that game.

Comment

• GolfZag
                              Bulldog Fan
                              • Nov 2008

Yes it does happen. I guess the biggest disappointment for me was the lack of emotion from the players. I wish they would get mad when they are getting their butts handed to them and grind out and compete. I felt like they were just going through the motions and showed little heart.

I can see not getting up for games against PSU, LMU, etc. but when you play a team like Memphis, in prime time, with College Gameday there, how can they not be motivated?? I just don't understand.

Comment

Working...
                              X