PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk's game is live on the internet

NorthoftheBorder
02-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Kelly Olynyk and his South Kamloops team are playing in the Championship game of the Western Canada Tournament in Kelowna right now.

The game is live on the internet here:

http://www.sportscanada.tv/index.php/western-canada-tournament

NorthoftheBorder
02-07-2009, 08:21 PM
South Kamloops leads 68 - 66 after 3 quarters. Olynyk has 23 points and David Wagner (the 6'8" sophmore) has 24 points.

NorthoftheBorder
02-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Olynyk is playing point guard and has 6 assists. Wagner is up to 32 points. The commentators are amazed at how well Wagner is playing for a 15 year old.

jiggatothezigga
02-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Olynyk is playing point guard and has 6 assists. Wagner is up to 32 points. The commentators are amazed at how well Wagner is playing for a 15 year old.

I watched a bit of the 4th quarter and that wagner kid looks really good in the post with polished footwork and finishing. Olynk did not overly impress me from what I saw( i'll say again i only watched the very end). Maybe I am wrong but he seemed uncomfortable dribbling with his weak hand?

NorthoftheBorder
02-07-2009, 08:53 PM
South Kamloops defeated St. Georges (the #5 ranked team in British Columbia) 98-80 to win the tournament.

Olynyk had 29 points and 8 assists and set a tournament scoring record with 119 points in 3 games. I agree that he doesn't have the dribbling skills to play the point in college but he does have pretty good ball handling skills for somebody who is 6'10" .

David Wagner finished with 41 points on 18/20 shooting. He displayed great footwork and a variety of post moves. I'm sure the Zags coaching staff will be keeping a close eye on him.

WRHUradio
02-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Especially after a night like tonight a few things come to mind...

Olynyk should redshirt next year for sure. He's just not strong enough on the dribble to do anything offensively next year and he's not a Div I guard but appears to have some 1-2 dribble and tough-shot making ability similar to what Daye/Morrison can do

After watching the Memphis'es/UConn's/Big East all the time a guy like Olynyk drifts too much to the finesse side to really be successful vs good competition. Pat Calathes keeps coming to mind as I watched like 5 mins of the game. Calathes as a Jr & Sr became a very good A-10 Player but vs Memphis Calathes can't do anything but maybe hit open 3's otherwise he has no impact. I think its a matter of philosophy with the coaching staff going for the skills and sacrificing the athleticism as they hope strength and mentality will come along down the road

jiggatothezigga
02-07-2009, 08:56 PM
South Kamloops defeated St. Georges (the #5 ranked team in British Columbia) 98-80 to win the tournament.

Olynyk had 29 points and 8 assists and set a tournament scoring record with 119 points in 3 games. I agree that he doesn't have the dribbling skills to play the point in college but he does have pretty good ball handling skills for somebody who is 6'10" .

David Wagner finished with 41 points on 18/20 shooting. He displayed great footwork and a variety of post moves. I'm sure the Zags coaching staff will be keeping a close eye on him.

Honestly I think he might be a letdown at gonzaga, the compeition in those leagues compared to the south is Day and Night.

eastsideballer
02-07-2009, 09:08 PM
That recruit is not WCC caliber. There are better post/forward players in the GSL right now.

ronh_pm
02-07-2009, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Kelly will be a 2-3 man with the Zags..no way he will be at point...because of his recent growth he really doesnt even play point any longer in HS.

On some sets he will handle the ball at the point once the offense is up the floor; Kamloops looks to draw a big man up to him to guard against his shot so he can feed the 6'8" Wagner on a mismatch inside..and if they don't bring a big guy up on him he shoots over top of the mismatch he draws with Wagner there to rebound any of his (infrequent) misses.

My thoughts are he needs more weight (muscle), he needs to be tougher mentally and not look to the refs everytime something does not go his way, and he will need some coaching in defense...at Kamloops he is there to score and rebound and then he has done his job. Even tonight guys like Emerson Murray (another name that will be heard from across the border) can beat him on the floor with ease.

Got to remember he is only 17..We will have to see how he grows over the spring and summer in the BC and National programs.

Ron

WRHUradio
02-07-2009, 09:36 PM
My thoughts are he needs more weight (muscle), he needs to be tougher mentally and not look to the refs everytime something does not go his way, and he will need some coaching in defense...at Kamloops he is there to score and rebound and then he has done his job. Even tonight guys like Emmerson Murrey (another name that will be heard from across the border) can beat him on the floor with ease. "

Troubling, Troubling insight to read and youre pretty much right on the $ that I could assume from the 5 mins of live action I watched on the videostream. I really hope the coaching staff tells him he's redshirting and the fan base has zero expectations for him to have any decent contribution until he's at least a 3rd yr Soph

jiggatothezigga
02-07-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm pretty sure Kelly will be a 2-3 man with the Zags..no way he will be at point...because of his recent growth he really doesnt even play point any longer in HS.

On some sets he will handle the ball at the point once the offense is up the floor; Kamloops looks to draw a big man up to him to guard against his shot so he can feed the 6'8" Wagner on a mismatch inside..and if they don't bring a big guy up on him he shoots over top of the mismatch he draws with Wagner there to rebound any of his (infrequent) misses.

My thoughts are he needs more weight (muscle), he needs to be tougher mentally and not look to the refs everytime something does not go his way, and he will need some coaching in defense...at Kamloops he is there to score and rebound and then he has done his job. Even tonight guys like Emerson Murray (another name that will be heard from across the border) can beat him on the floor with ease.

Got to remember he is only 17..We will have to see how he grows over the spring and summer in the BC and National programs.

Ron

Just curious to what your relation is with Olynyk?

ronh_pm
02-08-2009, 07:09 AM
My thoughts are he needs more weight (muscle), he needs to be tougher mentally and not look to the refs everytime something does not go his way, and he will need some coaching in defense...at Kamloops he is there to score and rebound and then he has done his job. Even tonight guys like Emmerson Murrey (another name that will be heard from across the border) can beat him on the floor with ease. "

Troubling, Troubling insight to read and youre pretty much right on the $ that I could assume from the 5 mins of live action I watched on the videostream. I really hope the coaching staff tells him he's redshirting and the fan base has zero expectations for him to have any decent contribution until he's at least a 3rd yr Soph

Actually I was thinking these are positives, not negatives.

He is a big long body (listed at 6'10" 210lbs) and that works well in high school for the offense that Kamloops plays. It's just my thoughts that his probable change of position when he moves to D1 will require him to be stronger (bigger) when playing a wing.

As the number one player in BC and the key to Kamloops offence he is of course the target of most teams defenses. As such, from what I have seen, he takes the brunt of the hacking and fouls as teams try to contain him. In D1 he will just be another fish in the pond and not the big kahuna and being another year older with provincial and maybe national experience should help the mental part of his game.

In high school because of his size, mobility and basketball sense, he can play well defensively against say 99% of the league. I think though that the biggest difference will be that all players in D1 are of Emmerson Murrey's ability and he will need D1 coaching to teach him how to defend when everyone is his size and has his mobility.

And for the record, what I know about basketball can be stuffed in the end of a Bic pen cap. I would guess that most of you folks here have forgotton more about basketball than I will ever know. I have only seen Kelly play, I think 8 times, (six this year) and just offered up a little bit of what I have noticed, both his strengths and things that I think he will need to work on to be successful in college.

Ron

ronh_pm
02-08-2009, 07:12 AM
Just curious to what your relation is with Olynyk?

None whatsoever.

In no way am I qualifed to offer anything more than my opinion of what I have seen in a handfull of games as a sports photographer.

Ron

NEC26
02-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Ronh_pm thanks for the insight always like to here from people who have seen our recruits play.

skan72
02-08-2009, 09:08 AM
That Memphis was certainly a lot more athletic than the Zags.
Unfortunately, while Kelly Olynyk may be good at many other things, he won't be able to help in the athleticism department.