PDA

View Full Version : Don't talk about final four!!

HillBillyZag
02-07-2009, 05:57 PM
This is terrible. They are quicker, stronger, and yes, tougher. WE sure as hell don't need anymore 6'11' 265# outside jump shooters.Put Will Foster in at least he will TRY.This is no final four team. I luv em, but its just not there. I am sick of making excuses for this team. They are playing like what they are, a WCC pitty-pat team that refuses to get physical and make the necessary changes in their game to compete with teams that play for keeps. The whole team acts like they are just out of their league. I can deal with losing a game, but tonight this team is just QUITTING. And as Digger & Hubie were saying, this team just does not rebound, especially on the offensive board. IMHO this team owes the school and their fans an apology for the kind of effort they showed in that first half!! What wuussses!!

jiggatothezigga
02-07-2009, 06:19 PM
wow we look like little kids amongst men out there. Its sad to see but we are just too physically and mentally weak to compete with Memphis

Ezag
02-07-2009, 06:22 PM
We're gettin' schooled!

zagco
02-07-2009, 06:22 PM
We're way overmatched in this game.

We have not improved as a team, especially on offense. For years now, Zagco has thought we start out seasons great, but we seem to play tighter and tighter as the season wears along. If the Final Four was played in Week 2, we'd be in it. We just don't improve much as a team over the course of a year. We peak very, very early.

alaskazagnut
02-07-2009, 06:26 PM
Maybe if we get a lucky seed and bracket. No strength on defense and we get rattled when we face a physically superior team.

Big eye opener.

RenoZag
02-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Let's hope it's a big eye opener for the team & coaching staff

jiggatothezigga
02-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Let's hope it's a big eye opener for the team & coaching staff

How many eye openers do we need this year? When do we come to the conclusion that we gave a good team, but the expectation we set early were clearly to high....

EDIT: wow boulding jus got blocked like he didnt even belong in the game

75Zag
02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Bulldogs are not that bad compared to this year's NCAA talent. Tonight is a disaster, but anybody can beat anybody this year.

I live and love to support the Bulldogs, but I would not mind seeing the "too cool for school" attitude go away for some of the GU players and staff. Each game is a battle. Let's get back to playing like it is a war!

I have a feeling that whatever GU does at the NCAAs this year, it will be from the perspective of a 7 seed. Maybe good , maybe bad, but that's the way I see it.

Go Bulldogs!

zagco
02-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Zagco will be surprised if we win one in the tournament, and if St. Mary's gets a healthy Patty Mills back, Zagco would be surprised if we win our own tournament. This team plays tight, and the roles, as usual, on offense, seem confused and constantly changing. Few is a great recruiter, because we do have extremely talented players, but the molding of those kids into a team that improves and defines itself is lacking and has been lacking for quite some time.

HillBillyZag
02-07-2009, 06:36 PM
We are getting a lesson on what big time college hoops is all about, now do we have the pieces to get there?

ElvisLives
02-07-2009, 06:40 PM
We're gettin' schooled!

Fellas, I'm really sorry you're having such a tough time. It might make you feel a little better to know that no matter what happens between now and selection Sunday, if Memphis wins this game it will be the marquee win on our schedule.

You guys did stick it to Tennessee twice in a month, and they'll be dancing in March. They have as good a chance as anyone of winning the SEC east division. You gave UConn all they could handle and probably should've won that game in regulation, just like we should've beaten Kansas.

This game is a fluke. I think your kids are flat after the big win the other night. Our kids have been pointing to this game for two weeks. It's almost been a "must win" for us.

There's still a month to get everything fixed, and I'll be wearing my Gonzaga Bulldogs sweatshirts (yes, I have two of them) a lot between now and then.

Good luck. I hope we meet again in Detroit two months from now.

Ezag
02-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Fellas, I'm really sorry you're having such a tough time. It might make you feel a little better to know that no matter what happens between now and selection Sunday, if Memphis wins this game it will be the marquee win on our schedule.

You guys did stick it to Tennessee twice in a month, and they'll be dancing in March. They have as good a chance as anyone of winning the SEC east division. You gave UConn all they could handle and probably should've won that game in regulation, just like we should've beaten Kansas.

This game is a fluke. I think your kids are flat after the big win the other night. Our kids have been pointing to this game for two weeks. It's almost been a "must win" for us.

There's still a month to get everything fixed, and I'll be wearing my Gonzaga Bulldogs sweatshirts (yes, I have two of them) a lot between now and then.

Good luck. I hope we meet again in Detroit two months from now.

Thanks Man, you are a class act!

ElvisLives
02-07-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks Man, you are a class act!

It ain't over yet. I wish I was there like you.

Memphis looks REALLY tired to me right now, and we're so deep WE DON'T GET TIRED. We're just hanging on.

WRHUradio
02-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Too Soft
-GU does not have the mentality to play with Final 4/Elite 8 Teams yet in this ascension of the program.
-The Picks set are not set at all, the bigs between Daye and Heytvelt rarely made contact with the defender, a very fundamental play that the 2 of them just were too afraid of. The BCS Conference teams (that are good) dont do this.
-Only bright spot which I think the majority of the board has stated over the season is that Goodson IS a player that has that and a sign of the heightened recruiting the staff has been able to do. Watching this game makes me think that Kelly Olynyk and other guys that are skills first, athletes second will really struggle vs the Elite teams that have guys that are Both Skilled + Athletic (Duke/UNC/Memphis/Kansas)..the Top 15 Type teams

Lack of Shot Creators vs Good Defense
-No Adam Morrison-type offensive talent.
-With the lack of actual good screens set in this game, the guards basically can't score. This is not just today's game, but also vs Memphis the last couple years.

Attitude
-I'm amazed that this team came out with such a lack of a fire, but believe this part is a bit secondary to Mental Toughness. They did play hard first 5 mins or so but the toughness aspect of getting down and not fighting back is the bigger issue as written above.
-Afraid of getting shot blocked. This always kills me because its predictable. I feel like every time they play a "rivals.com/street baller" Type team the whole team is afraid of getting swatted and instead puts up a weak wild shot. They need to get past the embarassment and take it strong to the basket the way these High Level teams do and sometimes get swatted or even fouled and not have it called and take a hard fall just to get tougher.

In the end I don't want to see any other GU posters like BobZag (not calling you out, just using an example) saying that this is a good learning experience etc etc. I think this was simply a reality check that this team still lacks BIG BIG qualities that you need to be a 2nd weekend NCAA program on a consistent basis.
I'm saying that not because they lost, but because they lost by 30 when Memphis put on the brakes.
Theyre still a VERY good team, but basically a team where based on the matchup you can certainly see them losing in the 1st Round again. I would say this teams upside is making the 2nd Round, I can't see them beating your average 2nd round team that is a 3rd-6th place Big East type team.

TIGER DEN
02-07-2009, 07:25 PM
We are getting a lesson on what big time college hoops is all about, now do we have the pieces to get there?

You guys have the players to be good , but with our good start it was like your 3 main guys just conceeded . The little point guard that came in at the end of the game was not intimidated and played fearless BB. I dont know how Few coaches but I do know Cal would start the little point guard next game. With this said , I think Gonzaga has some of the classiest posters in the ncaa. You'll have another shot next year @ the Fed Ex Forum.

Good luck the rest of the way:)

dpouley
02-07-2009, 07:26 PM
We just don't improve much as a team over the course of a year. We peak very, very early.

Is there any way that this is somehow related to the lack of consistent competition in the WCC? I know that this is a conversation that gets discussed ad naseum on this board. However, at least from a fans perspective, it seems that beating up on the WCC always tends to build this team up, only to see a huge let down at some point late in the season.

Beating Tennessee and then heading into the WCC seemed like just the thing that GU needed to right their ship. However, now that they have played another strong out of conference opponent, it seems that maybe their play over the last month was over inflated by the competition in the WCC. Maybe not, maybe this was just a tremendously bad game played by the Zags. But this is the type of game that gets people talking about the very things that are being discussed in this thread.