PDA

View Full Version : Next year's pre-season tournament

tyra
03-18-2007, 07:49 PM
As long as we are talking about next year's schedule, could someone please remind me where the pre-season tourney is this coming year? Coach Krause told the Tacoma Alumni club but I have lost my notes. Maybe I'll feel better if I book my plane and hotel and that way it will seem like next season is pretty close.

Angelo Roncalli
03-18-2007, 08:02 PM
GU will play in the Great Alaska Shootout in Anchorage. Teams:

* Alaska Anchorage
* Butler
* Gonzaga
* Liberty
* Michigan
* Texas Tech
* Washington State
* Western Kentucky
* Games take place Nov. 21 - 24, 2007.

zag944
03-18-2007, 08:14 PM
So potentially we would get to play WSU twice, once nuetral and once at home. That would be a lot of fun. I'm sure both teams would love the challenge and the oppurtunity, unlike the chicken Romar here in Seattle.

Nevtelen
03-18-2007, 08:53 PM
When this was announced, last off-season, and some of the teams were known I remember being unimpressed and thinking it would be a cake-walk. Looking at it again, that should be quite a field - hopefully Butler can keep going reasonably strong, WSU will be tough with only Clark leaving, Texas Tech usually aquit themselves well, and even Western Kentucky did pretty well this year at points. Who knows how Michigan will be; depends on their new coach I guess. Anyway, no Maui Invitational, but not shabby. It should be a nice warm up for our team next year.

meadgrad02
03-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah, Butler should still be pretty solid, they have Graves back, they only lose about 20 points a game scoring-wise. WSU will be a very tough game next year, can't wait to be at K2 next year and see that place rockin.

meadgrad02
03-18-2007, 09:59 PM
I know this is total speculation, but I'm guessing that Bennett will be in the talking for the Michigan job, what would a Michigan-Wazzu matchup be like next year up in Anchorage? That would be quite an emotional game for the cougs. I think that Bennett will stay though.

Bulldoggie
03-18-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't think there is any way that Bennet would leave Wazzu at this stage for another job. After all the Old Man came out of retirement to take the job and set the table for Junior and endured considerable pain in the process to get the Coogs respectable. Senior did not have a history for table hopping and Junior, who is a clone of his Dad, probably will have a similar philosophy. I see Tony Bennet staying in Pullman for a long time if they treat him right.

soonerterp
03-18-2007, 11:11 PM
Just my own idle speculation, but there was quite a meltdown this evening on the Kentucky rivals.com board after they lost to KU today. I mean it was crazy ... that site had about 7800 visitors (members and others) in the hours following KY's exit from the Tourney.

If -- and I mean a big IF -- Kentucky fires Tubby Smith, I wouldn't be surprised to see if he became a player for the Michigan job.

Nevtelen
03-18-2007, 11:14 PM
I don't think Kentucky will fire Tubby. But if they do, I don't think most other schools would hesitate a millisecond in trying to get him. He's a good coach, though a poor recruiter.

DrDrivel
03-19-2007, 05:39 AM
Tubby's dream job is Virginia. It's what he's always wanted in terms of connections, facilities, etc.... If UK fires him, I anticipate you'll see him on the sidelines at Virginia as soon as reasonably possible.

tyra
03-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Think I'll book my flight.

CDC84
03-19-2007, 08:53 AM
I just can't see Virginia firing Dave Leitao after he just put Virginia in the tournament for this first time in ages. Even for Tubby. Leitao is a really good coach, and he was just hired. Virginia would get blasted by the media for making such a brash move. Bad PR. And who would want to work for an AD that has the audacity to do that kind of thing to a new head coach? Tubby might turn them down just because of that.

I think the Tubby to Virginia thing ended when he didn't jump for the job when it was open a couple of years ago. Tubby's situation at UK back then was really no different than it is now. The fans and boosters hated him back then too.

I could see Tubby taking a stab at the NBA.

Angelo Roncalli
03-19-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree with CDC. There's no way Virginia has a coaching change this year.

Akzag
03-19-2007, 12:50 PM
but for Tyra or others planning on coming up to Anchorage for the GAS, feel free to contact me if you have any questions ... To be revisited as the months go by ....

DrDrivel
03-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Well, fellas, that's why I said "as soon as reasonably possible." I know they're not going to fire a successful coach to make room for an embattled one. I know they're not going to sell their souls for Tubby. But if Leitao should move up in the world or run through a scandal or any such scenario, Tubby would be the logical play.

Ghost
03-19-2007, 04:01 PM
I will be going there, I got family that lives in Anchorage so I kill two birds with one stone.