PDA

View Full Version : Zags vs Memphis. It's time for those predictions

Reborn
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I am still laughing at that dude from Memphis saying we can predict all we want to but we ain't gonna beat them Tigers....OOOooooo We are scared aren't we guys....That guy must not know how serious we take our game predictions over here on the ZagBoard. In fact it's evolving into some kind of new art form...so new and so creative that no label has yet stuck. But we're trying.

So on with the game predictions. I don't like being approached on the board by some "cocky" Tiger fan telling us we ain't got a chance against his tigers, and then he belittles our prediction thread. That is a bad omen for him...and for his tigers. Most guys approach an opposition board with a little more humility. Oh and speaking of a bad omen. I hope we ARE wearing those black jersies tomorrow. They are perfect for the occasion. Black is the perfect color. It's a color made up from a mixture of all colors. Black is a new color, for a new Zag team. It no longer represents death or anything negative at all. We are in a time of change, and I'm glad to see the Zags stepping out and making a change. Tomorrow night is a celebration of change for the new Zags. It's the game of the year so far.

I wouldn't come close to Theat Memphis guy's thread with a twenty foot pole. I almost took his bait and posted there...but I've learned restraint thanks to posting here for a few years now. Arguing with him is a waste of time.

This is the game of the year so far. And promisses to be the most fun of them all. Pure entertainment in every way. Memphis is tough like Joe Frazier. Theyre gonna want to come in with blows to the belly. But the Zags are all Mohammed Ali tomorrow night. They will be "floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee." The Zags' jabs are just too fast and too quick, and their footwork is pure poetry (thinking of Sili). The Zags are ninja masters with the basketball, and have elevated passing to a whole new artistic level this year. I believe the Zags are the BEST passing team in America right now. Are passing and back door cuts will nullify their belly-up blows. They will pound the boards, but we will create more fast breaks and turnovers with our defense. WE will attack their strength and shoot 34 free throws. Evans is going to get into foul trouble, and he is going to be SCHOOLED by Pargo.

This is the game Pargo and Josh have been waiting for, and I can hardly wait to see this matchup. :)

Gonzaga wins this awesome battle in a close twelve round decision, 82-69. Pargo and Josh are co-players of the game, and Matt and Austin are close behind. And the forgotten Zag will be remembered forever.

Do are predictions make a difference? They are the difference maker. A lot of work has gone into developing our different methodologies, and they are working. We've got very bad news for the Tigers. Their winning streak is over tomorrow night.

kazzag
02-06-2009, 04:03 PM
I think it is another OT screamer and voice-be-gone game. I also know I have had a bit of the Kool-Aid to drink this year. I say we win by 5 in OT. Similar to UConn, but we've developed since then.
91-86 OT

LongIslandZagFan
02-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Tigers 88
Zags 83

We get absolutely crushed on the boards and we shoot sub 50% from the charity stripe.

BOETiger
02-06-2009, 04:51 PM
It will be a spin around "The Bowl and Pitcher" with a Tiger riding the rapids to victory over those "Zags" ! ! !

Find out a bit about The University of Memphis Tigers here:
http://gotigersgo.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/mem-m-baskbl-body.html

It should be a great game !

GO TIGERS ! ! :cheers:

JAGzag
02-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Reborn, most of the Tiger fans that post here have been pretty respectful to the Zag fan base. I don't think the comment about history is that far off; don't we tell the Gaels that until they take the conference they shouldn't talk trash, etc.?

The only omen I have come to respect on this board is when BZ posts his "we're doomed" message before a big game ... which has been accomplished.

I'll take the Zags in a close one:

Zags 79
Tigers 77

kitzbuel
02-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Zags by 7, over under 180.

NotoriousZ
02-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Zags 64
Tigers 57

As I'm in a hurry, I'll defer my commentary to GraysAnatomy. I'll pre-thumbs up his pic also!

TIGER DEN
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Tigers 74

Zags 72

:pray:

I come in peace and hope we will be able to be competitive with such a hostile crowd . The black jerseys mean you are the bad guys , right?

RenoZag
02-06-2009, 05:55 PM
The black jerseys mean you are the bad guys , right?

Naw, it's a tribute to the late great Johnny Cash. . .

Looking forward to the match-up.

Go Zags

Reborn
02-06-2009, 06:02 PM
Tiger Den says, "The black jerseys mean you are the bad guys , right?"
Wrong. We are the good guys. Black is in now. I have more black shirts than any other color. The meaning of the color of black has changed, and we will be celebrating that tomorrow if we wear black. Out with the old, Memphis dominating us for three straight years, and in with the new, Gonzaga dominating Memphis tomorrow.

Black has traditionally been worn at funerals. I think that this year, this Zag team, buries that dark cloud that's been over our heads since that loss to UCLA three years ago. The cloud will be cleared tomorrow, and the Zags will be basking in the sunlight again. There are a few other dark memories, which after tomorrow, will be forgotten.

azzagfan
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
107-104 Zags, 5 OT game which will go down in history as the greatest Zag game ever (yes better than UConn in Maui, better than Arizona in the tourney).

The game will end late everywhere, but the ratings will climb with each subsequent overtime, and the nation will be captivated by the heart of both teams that seemingly will refuse to lose and the two great coaches that will be dripping sweat on the sidelines from the passion and emotion of the battle of two worthy rivals.

TIGER DEN
02-06-2009, 06:04 PM
I think the series Cal & Few started has helped us on the national scene , you guys too I would think . It just proves you dont have to belong to one of the BCS conference to kick some big name butts .:D

TIGER DEN
02-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Tiger Den says, "The black jerseys mean you are the bad guys , right?"
Wrong. We are the good guys. Black is in now. I have more black shirts than any other color. The meaning of the color of black has changed, and we will be celebrating that tomorrow if we wear black. Out with the old, Memphis dominating us for three straight years, and in with the new, Gonzaga dominating Memphis tomorrow.

Black has traditionally been worn at funerals. I think that this year, this Zag team, buries that dark cloud that's been over our heads since that loss to UCLA three years ago. The cloud will be cleared tomorrow, and the Zags will be basking in the sunlight again. There are a few other dark memories, which after tomorrow, will be forgotten.

The old cowboys that won the gunfights wore black so this aint looking good for us. We're going to come give it a shot though.;)

Reborn
02-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Again Tiger den, "I think the series Cal & Few started has helped us on the national scene , you guys too I would think. I agree with you 100%. Two great coaches, and I hope great friends. I love this match-up and I'm so glad that we will be continuing it for four more years. The two teams that I like playing the most are Memphis and Tennessee. It's like we have our own little league. I think all three teams have a lot in common. Great schools, great fans, and great teams. And that's why I want to beat you guys so bad. You're like an older brother who has been beating me up too long, and now I've grown up, gotten bigger, and I'm ready to kick your butt. :D

adallastiger
02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
...I never said that it is a given that we win tonite. Going to go with the Tigers by one point.

That said, can we lose tomorrow nite? Of course. I respect your team to a great degree.

All I said was that Until you beat us (Yes, I know there was a win in the nineties or something, but I mean recent) then all I am saying is that we are the favorites.

Simple as that. Can you win this game? Of course

But you won't.

Gonna be a close one though...

drogba11
02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Gonzaga - 89
Memphis - 75

TIGER DEN
02-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Again Tiger den, "I think the series Cal & Few started has helped us on the national scene , you guys too I would think. I agree with you 100%. Two great coaches, and I hope great friends. I love this match-up and I'm so glad that we will be continuing it for four more years. The two teams that I like playing the most are Memphis and Tennessee. It's like we have our own little league. I think all three teams have a lot in common. Great schools, great fans, and great teams. And that's why I want to beat you guys so bad. You're like an older brother who has been beating me up too long, and now I've grown up, gotten bigger, and I'm ready to kick your butt. :D

= EVIL:lmao:

But I think you guys own them , dont you ?

RenoZag
02-06-2009, 06:46 PM
= EVIL:lmao:

But I think you guys own them , dont you ?

Just this year. . .

McZag
02-06-2009, 07:00 PM
This one is going to take everything we got. I'd feel better with Sacre in the lineup.

Calipari has proven he can beat us time and again. My brain has to take the Tigers:

Memphis 88
Zags 79

My heart says Zags bring down the house

Zags 94
Tigers 89

thespywhozaggedme
02-06-2009, 07:09 PM
81-69, the good guys.

upan8th
02-06-2009, 09:46 PM
MSU hasn't demonstrated they play particularly well on the road against top caliber opponents. They lost by 5 to Xavier and 9 to Geotown. They've beaten Tulsa, Tenn and Central Florida by a combined 10 points. Now they have to fly all the way across the country, deal with a rabid GU crowd, and a vengeful ZAG team salivating to right past wrongs and climb in the rankings.

The books have GU winning by 5 to 5 1/2 and it rarely turns out well for visiting higher ranked teams when the lower ranked team is at home and favored. If the Tigers overcome all these disadvantages and get a win, they deserve a top ten ranking and all the credit in the world.

Having said all that, if you think I'm going to pick GU to win and jinx the team, well, just forget it. Tigers 61 Zags 60.

jim77
02-07-2009, 02:21 AM
I have watched Memphis a few times earlier in the year. I have NOT seen them since Evans has been at the point.

The first thing I noticed is that they play hard....real hard. If you're waiting for the ball to bounce you're way, forget it. Memphis will most times beat you to the ball.....great athletes...and pretty good basketball players. Do you ever notice when Memphis does lose, it isn't by much. These guys having winning ingrained into them. If it sounds like I like memphis...I do. They and GU regularly thumb their nose at the bcs competition...love it!

So how will this shake down??? Here's my guess. I think Memphis will put the clamps on Bouldin...Most games Matt is 1/2 step faster....this game he'll be 1/2 step slower. I think Matt will do most of his damage from the 3 line AND assists...his "Rackdrives" will be 2 or 3 max.....he still scores 11 points...and 7 assists. The guy who will do the damage will be Pargo...Pargo is gonna be the difference......he will go for 24. I also think Gray will be hindered by Memphis's ability to get into his face. Memphis is not gonna let you camp out on the 3 line...it'll take a screen or good ball movement to get an open 3..you will not see a lazy Memphis defense. I think Heytvelt will have his chances and expect him to be the second leading scorer at 20 points. Austin will get 10. The Zags defense will be adequte but not great...and must avoid stupid fouls....or else. I see GU prevailing 77-68. The crowd will be the difference.

johnwzag
02-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Zags 79-66

Rangerzag
02-07-2009, 07:00 AM
Hopalong Cassidy

was a real good guy who wore lots of black.

Zags do well (win) if they hold on to the rock (low, low turnovers).

Zags do well (win) if they get their shots to fall. Zags seldom loose if the ball goes in for them.

Zags do well (win) if they are not pestered with ticky tack foul calls. This will be a close came and bad calls that would not bother the outcome in a game with more deciding factors, will make more of a difference in this a game of very closely matched foes.

Zags do well (win) if Memphis does not make miracle "Hail Mary" shots.

I guess that is enough variables ;)

gozags09
02-07-2009, 07:12 AM
Zags 82 Memphis 69. Josh, Austin, Matty, Jeremy, Steven, Micah and Ira! will show toughness today. Tight first half...Zags make a run in first 4 minutes of the second half for separation....

TIGER DEN
02-07-2009, 07:32 AM
I have watched Memphis a few times earlier in the year. I have NOT seen them since Evans has been at the point.

The first thing I noticed is that they play hard....real hard. If you're waiting for the ball to bounce you're way, forget it. Memphis will most times beat you to the ball.....great athletes...and pretty good basketball players. Do you ever notice when Memphis does lose, it isn't by much. These guys having winning ingrained into them. If it sounds like I like memphis...I do. They and GU regularly thumb their nose at the bcs competition...love it!

So how will this shake down??? Here's my guess. I think Memphis will put the clamps on Bouldin...Most games Matt is 1/2 step faster....this game he'll be 1/2 step slower. I think Matt will do most of his damage from the 3 line AND assists...his "Rackdrives" will be 2 or 3 max.....he still scores 11 points...and 7 assists. The guy who will do the damage will be Pargo...Pargo is gonna be the difference......he will go for 24. I also think Gray will be hindered by Memphis's ability to get into his face. Memphis is not gonna let you camp out on the 3 line...it'll take a screen or good ball movement to get an open 3..you will not see a lazy Memphis defense. I think Heytvelt will have his chances and expect him to be the second leading scorer at 20 points. Austin will get 10. The Zags defense will be adequte but not great...and must avoid stupid fouls....or else. I see GU prevailing 77-68. The crowd will be the difference.

Teams with good or experienced point guards have given us problems ( see Flynn and syracuse ) so I agree on the Pargo statement.

MyZags
02-07-2009, 07:47 AM
The Zags have shown incremental improvements over the season. Offensive sets are snappy; defense has picked up intensity. They are primed for this game.

With help from the home court- 82-78

zagnut52
02-07-2009, 08:24 AM
Zags by 5 in a closey....

ZagManFan
02-07-2009, 08:45 AM
73-59 Zags and it won't be that close.