PDA

View Full Version : Free throws were great,then turned crappy

Zag 77
02-05-2009, 09:54 PM
When I saw 15 for 15, I thought we had finally gotten the message. But then we went 8 of our last 16 to finish at 23 for 31. Jeremy put up a lot of bricks in those last 3 minutes. Guess who the scouting reports will say to foul down the stretch if we get into a close game in the NCAA?

23dpg
02-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Not only did we miss FTs down the stretch, but twice GU missed the front ends of 1and1s and UP came down and made a 3 both times. Plus it was Daye and Gray that missed the FTs. What happened over the summer? These guys were both around 90% last year.

Zag79
02-06-2009, 01:06 AM
:lmao: leave it to zag77 to point out pargo at the line after a fabulous game. i think the amount of all your posts about free throws is the same as jeremys average, 65%. ;) im not too concerned with this

Guess who the scouting reports will say to foul down the stretch if we get into a close game in the NCAA?
because in really close games we seem to get it to matt and guys that are consistent at the line 77.

EngineerZag
02-06-2009, 07:00 AM
Free throws have been a problem all year for this team. It could prove to be an Achilles heel in the tournament. Practice, practice, practice.

Zag 77
02-06-2009, 07:58 AM
It is a serious matter.

79, may I interpret your feelings on FT's as "don't worry, be happy?"

Right, just ignore the problem and it will go away.

CDC84
02-06-2009, 08:30 AM
The one thing that Gonzaga did tremendously well last night was get to the free throw line. They made more foul shots (23) than the opponent attempted (20). You do that, you're going to win almost every time, even if you shoot a mediocre percentage throughout the game or miss some foul shots near the end. Shooting that many foul shots, even at 70%, tends to build a cushion that's insurmountable so long as you play defense. If GU hadn't gone to the foul line as much as they did, those missed free throws at the end would've been much more of an issue.

Gonzaga's top 6 guys - the ones most likely to shoot free throws at the end of games - shoot a combined 72.4%. Take away Pargo, and the percentage goes up to 73.8%.

Zag 77
02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
From another post talking about Memphis' take on the upcoming game:

Surprisingly, their worst FT shooter is their PG, Jeremy Pargo, so in a close game where we are forced to foul, look for us to foul Pargo.

UberZagFan
02-06-2009, 01:46 PM
Last year's #s:

22 FTA/game and 15.76 FTM/game

This year's #s:

20 FTA/game and 14.62 FTM/game

GU's down 1.14 pts/game from the line. Considering the defensive efficiency has increased so much (from 91.6 (33) to 87.5 (10)), this drop is not much to be concerned about.

With that said, Uber would rather see the team closer to 75% than 70% from the line.

CDC84
02-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Everyone talks about D-Rav and what he gave to GU at the FT line, but JP Batista was just as important. He was just about the best foul shooting 5 man in the college game, which is an unbelievable advantage to have in late game situations. Your 4 or 5 man provides a great target for your guards to pass to in late game pressing situations, and he's the least likely guy on the floor to receive intense ball pressure. Similiarly, as much as it would be great for Jeremy to shoot his free throws well, it would be nice if Austin Daye could get back to where he was last season. He's an ideal guy to pass the ball to in those situations.

Zag79
02-06-2009, 04:19 PM
i was just being funny zag77 because almost all of your posts concern FT shooting. its a concern of course, but

From another post talking about Memphis' take on the upcoming game:

Surprisingly, their worst FT shooter is their PG, Jeremy Pargo, so in a close game where we are forced to foul, look for us to foul Pargo

this im not worried about as pargo when the game on the line has been clutch, and also we tend to inbounds to matt with the game on the line anyway.