PDA

View Full Version : Canzano, Oregon and Few

23dpg
03-18-2007, 08:23 AM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/11741865314740.xml&coll=7

Is there any buzz in Spokane about this?

hondo
03-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Canzano has to get another horse he rode this one to death.

BobZag
03-18-2007, 09:11 AM
Kent to Michigan? :lmao:

Thank heavens we have Blanchette!

CDC84
03-18-2007, 10:49 AM
Has Canzano written a book on the Roswell Incident and the JFK Assasination?

Birddog
03-18-2007, 11:21 AM
Has Canzano written a book on the Roswell Incident and the JFK Assasination?.
Way off CDC, he's a an expert/promoter on the existence of "Bigfoot".

Birddog

applezag
03-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Canzano writes to incite action, and will take a spec of information that he likes and make a mountain out of it. Sometimes I agree with his positions and can appreciate his style, but he definitely stirs stuff up that isn't always there. He has long been an Ernie critic and badly wants to see Few in Eugene. I think he believes if he gets this conversation going and keeps it going that will play a part in convincing Kent to leave. He's not all wrong in that things can work that way. Important people read what writers write and can be persuaded to act. In Oregon's case, though, it really comes down to two people: Pat and Phil.

As for Ernie's comments, he is a huge self-promoter and is offended if his name isn't in every conversation about coaching jobs out there. He wants to be loved and isn't feeling it at Oregon. However, I think he wold stay at Oregon just to be a pain in their butt. I think going to Michigan would be a big risk for him based on what I've seen in past years of his coaching. I think he'd have a tougher time winning there than he has at Oregon. I hate to admit it, though, I think he's done a hell of a job this year. He has decent players, but right now they are playing above their talent level--which hasn't happened much under Kent at Oregon.

NJZag
03-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Way off CDC, he's a an expert/promoter on the existence of "Bigfoot".

Birddog

A WCC / PAC-10 coach with no Midwest rootedness getting hired by Michigan (where a guy with an ACC and Big East pedigree couldn't get it done) ...

Few to Oregon (where the new AD is only temporary for two years and the next AD is totally unknown) ...

Roswell ...

JFK theories ...

Bigfoot ... getting closer.

http://www.littlepigs.biz/images/pigs_flying.jpg

Zagdawg
03-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Here in Portland --Canzano never fails to throw out the Few plug whenever he has a shot at a mention.

Whenever the local sports radio brings it up here in Portland and someone calls in to inquire why Few would drop everything and move to Eugene -- the radio commentators just laugh and talk about how Few grew up just down the road and how he has a clause in his contract mentioning the Oregon program and how he can opt out to come to that school to coach.

Canzano also mentions that he wants Few to open the new Oregon arena-- that is "just over the horizon"- to be built in the next few years--

Where is Marcy from ?-- Spokane or?

Also didn't Few have an issue with the Oregon program because of what happened with coach Monson?

I think Few will wait for a better deal than Oregon-- (Lute has to be getting a bit tired soon)--

I just hope that Grier is still around when Few decides to move on----(that is one of my biggest concerns-- Grier takes a coaching position somewhere and Few leaves the following year-- or the same year-- then we may have some challenges--

Who is our top recruiter? (coach)--

OregonZag5
03-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Was a party today watching the Oregon game with all Oregon people- no one is happy with Kent at all- He is very lucky he is winning as if he was not, would give people the excuse to kick him out the door. His son played for him the first three years but not this year- the son is a three letter sport and at the football banquet he thanked his mother for all she had done etc etc and not a word about his father who was there and you could have heard a pin drop-

O yes no one at the watching party even suggested Oregon go after Few as they knew I would jump all over them.

applezag
03-18-2007, 03:43 PM
Not sure where Marcy is from, but I'm pretty sure she was a Gonzaga grad.

It is also worth noting that Few has spent nearly as many years in Spokane as he lived in Oregon. I don't get the sense that he is longing for "home".

I would also say that the Oregon job is probably a lot more attractive than Arizona for a number of reasons, including his personal connection with the school and its AD and the fact that the identity of the program is not the coach he would be replacing (as would be the case with Arizona).

BobZag
03-18-2007, 04:44 PM
Marci is from southern Idaho, near Boise. She is a GU grad. Mark's years in Spokane are nearing his years in Oregon. The Inland NW is home.

Birddog
03-18-2007, 05:14 PM
On the ESPN preview show early this week, when Few was being interviewed, he said at the outset "before any of this gets started, I'm not going anywhere". Forget about what Matta said when he was at X.

Birddog

TrueLiz
03-18-2007, 06:51 PM
I hope that Few stays at Gonzaga. I also hope though, that if he has any schools in mind that he wants to go to if they are open or if he truly plans to retire with the Zags, that he is honest with Bill Grier. If Mark Few is going to be a lifetime sort of coach at Gonzaga, then Grier should look at some point to get his own team, unless he is completely content being part of a special program like this in his current role.

Zagster
03-18-2007, 07:33 PM
Ask yourself the question, why would Coach Few leave? He is in a very unique position. Even to entertain this question with the success Oregon is having is crazy. He has everything to lose and very little to gain. If this situation is true at Oregon with the success they are having, then the school has no commitment to a coach who has been the most successful coach in their history. This is just plain nuts.

btzag
03-18-2007, 07:45 PM
Seems there is this perception that Oregon is a top-notch destination in basketball being in the almighty Pac-10 and all, but did you know that with 2007 included Oregon has qualified for the tourney 9 times now and Gonzaga 10!? Why exactly would he go there again? In my opinion three reasons:
- grew up there - as has been stated already he has lived in the inland NW for as many years as Oregon.
- great program w/ tradition - definitely not Oregon when GU has made the dance more than them.
- $$$ - I'm sure Few has had quite a few lucrative offers thrown his way so I don't think he's after the money alone.

Honestly I just don't see it with Oregon, why would he throw away everything he has at GU for the Ducks. As someone who has lived in Oregon for a few years, the Ducks atletic program is all about hype(new arena/locker room), $$$, and marketing(nike). All fluff and no substance which is exactly the opposite of what Gonzaga is truly about and the program Few has helped build. I can see why Canzano would like Few over Kent but he is truly trying to stir the ### on this one....

DrDrivel
03-18-2007, 11:25 PM
Seems there is this perception that Oregon is a top-notch destination in basketball being in the almighty Pac-10 and all, but did you know that with 2007 included Oregon has qualified for the tourney 9 times now and Gonzaga 10!? Why exactly would he go there again? In my opinion three reasons:
- grew up there - as has been stated already he has lived in the inland NW for as many years as Oregon.
- great program w/ tradition - definitely not Oregon when GU has made the dance more than them.
- $$$ - I'm sure Few has had quite a few lucrative offers thrown his way so I don't think he's after the money alone.

Honestly I just don't see it with Oregon, why would he throw away everything he has at GU for the Ducks. As someone who has lived in Oregon for a few years, the Ducks atletic program is all about hype(new arena/locker room), $$$, and marketing(nike). All fluff and no substance which is exactly the opposite of what Gonzaga is truly about and the program Few has helped build. I can see why Canzano would like Few over Kent but he is truly trying to stir the ### on this one....

You say you've seen the athletic department, but have you seen if from the perspective of a recruiter? That's the type of advantage you can't manufacture and can't replace. Community and family are great, but you have to sell that. You'll have a hard time replicating walking a player into an absolutely state-of-the-art facility with hundreds of gorgeous women wandering around in a town that's totally devoted to your university's athletic program. And this is why you see coaches on the hot seat most of the time at huge universities - football, basketball... you name it. With those sorts of resources and Few's talent as a coach and facilitator, he'd have to have a lot of reasons not to take the job.

It just so happens that he has enough reasons.