PDA

View Full Version : OT: Butler on the ropes in Green Bay

CaliforniaZaggin'
02-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Butler is down 10 to Wisconsin-GB with 8:00 minutes left.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/boxscore?gid=200902020652

Ziggy
02-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Tony Bennett's Alma Mater I believe! (Green Bay that is)

BroncoZAG615
02-02-2009, 06:21 PM
Green Bay is a college basketball hot bed apparently. Excellent upset.

surfmonkey89
02-02-2009, 06:34 PM
I blame Pargo.

Baldwinzag
02-02-2009, 06:54 PM
As much as I admire and respect the Butler program and team, I feel they are overrated at #11. I don't get how Butler is about to crack the Top-10 with a SOS ranked 90th while playing in an extremely down Horizon Conference this year. Butler does boast a quality win versus Xavier, yet they lost to the only other quality team they faced on the year(Ohio State). Who else have they beaten or even played this season? They are winning close conference games against much inferior opponents, yet climbing the rankings with an inflated record. Also, their stats are below-average. They are not ranked in the Top-50 in overall offensive efficiency and just barely cracking the Top-25 in defensive efficiency.

I shouldn't be so harsh on Butler as I support their efforts, yet it frusterates me when I compare them with Gonzaga's schedule, stats, and resume.

I think it raises an interesting question about Gonzaga's gauntlet of a schedule. With our name brand and perenial attention, do we still need to play 10+ OOC road games against premier team/programs prior to conference play? Is it neccesary to beat ourselves up year in and year out during OOC play anymore? Couldn't we play one or two "National" teams, pull off an upset or two, and stay ranked all year similar to Butler? For example, their OOC strength of schedule is ranked 50th, while ours is ranked 16th. We played 8 ROAD games in OOC, while Butler played only 4 road games before conference. They are 19-1, ranked 11th, and around 15th in RPI, while we are 16-4, ranked 18th, and around 50th in RPI.

I'm not saying we should change our scheduling style as I love the constantly exciting games/teams, continual TV exposure, and how it builds character for our team. However, would it be terrible to play in a single prestigious pre-season tournament and schedule a Michigan State or Texas, then see how things go prior to conference? I just don't think playing a month of road games and back-to-back-to-back "big" games is really neccesary anymore, especially with the WCC getting better every year.

Just food for thought.

gozags09
02-02-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.midmajortop25.com/

rawkmandale
02-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Nice poll (guess you-know-who will be number one), but Portland (#24) would beat 2/3 of these teams.