PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga will beat Portland on Thursday

Reborn
02-02-2009, 08:50 AM
I don't really like negative posts about the Zags, predicting their loss so I thought I'd start a new and different one suggesing why I think Gonzaga is better than Portland.

Portland does have a very good team, and they are capable of beating Gonzaga in their home arena. They shoot very good there. It will be a very big challenge for the Zags, that's for sure.

One thing the Zags have going for themselves is that they have played a lot of away games. They have lost a couple close ones, but they showed at Tennessee that they can win on the road in a hostile environment. The other good factor, as has been mentioned in BZ's thread, is that there will be many Gonzaga fans at the game, and this will help a lot believe me. One other factor is that the Zags have played in that arena several times so it will not be totally new to them. This helps. The final neutralizing factor is that we do not have to travel a long distance. This is our shortest road trip.

I think that the season is progressing in a very good way. Since the loss at Utah the Zags have slowly been regaining their confidence. The schedule has been perfect for their comeback. Several weeks ago, before our game against Tennessee, I used a metaphore of a champion getting knocked down in a fight, and asked a question, "Has there ever been a champion who has been knocked down in a fight and gotten back up and defeated his opponent?" The Zags did do that against Tennessee, and they proved to me that they do have the heart of a champion, and the mind of a warrior.

When I wrote about a boxing champion I was also intending to use the metaphore for the whole season because the Zags really were almost down for the count. They were wounded badly. Each game since Utah has been like a fight on a comeback trail. We fought back in the final rounds against Tennessee after almost being knocked out and won that fight. And Again things were looking bad against St. Mary's. They were getting knocked around by Mills' 3 pt bombs. And somehow they turned the tide and the momentum switched to the Zags. Against San Diego we showed our inside toughness and it was more like a fight where you needed all your toughness to survive. There was no knockout punch, it was just a tough 12 rounder with lots of shots taken and given to the body.

Neither St. Mary's without Mills, or San Diego without Johnson, had the offensive weapons to defeat Portland in their gym. Gonzaga does. Gonzaga's strength is that we have so many weapons to defend, and so many ways to defeat an opponent. WE have multiple offensive sets, and the same for defense now. The Zags are going to attack you on offense and on defense in many different ways. It keeps the opponent off balance because you are never sure what's coming at you. This has been the Zags' strength. And this is how we will defend them. The most important thing to defend good shooters is to attack their focus. Get into their minds, and keep them guessing what you are going to throw at them. Use all the techniques that you know to get into their minds (if you have played at a high level of basketball you know what I mean). Things like pulling on a guys shorts are common place at the college level, and believe me there are many many more tricks, that I am sure the Zags know, that can do this. Here's a good one. Pinch your opponent in the arse every now and then to just piss him off. :D I will not go further. I think Pargo is a master at what I am referring to, and a guy like Gray certainly shows the ability to use such tactics and find enjoyment in doing so. To be able to get away with these "tricks" you must have a great smile..

Yes the Pilots have a good team, and have some very good offensive weapons, but I think a better question to ask (then the one Bob asked) is how are the Pilots going to defend the Zags? It was much easier for them to figure out how to do that with Mills and Johnson out. But the Zags are at full strength now. How will they defend Austin and Josh? Who is going to stop Pargo? I think Pargo can dominate Campbell. I think he's like 5' 11". Who will stop Bouldin? Portland was able to defeat both St Mary's and San Diego because neither team had outside shooters so they were able to use lots of help down low against Samhan and Simpson, and against Polmara and Jones. They will only be able to do that if the Zags are completely off from outside. Neither St. Mary's or San Diego has a power forward and a center who can shoot from the outside like Austin and Josh can do. So, you see, the Zags are a completely different team to defend than St. Mary's and San Diego.

I am thrilled that Portland took both St. Mary's and San Diego down. They really do have a very good team. They are going to be a very tough opponent for the Zags, and we need that. We need to play some tough games, especially on the road. And Portland will be that kind of team. In the end I think they are just too young and inexperienced at this level of play to defeat Gonzaga. It will be a close game though.

The Zags will not be overconfident in this game, nor will they be looking ahead to Memphis. They can not afford to do that. And that is good. You see, because when we make it to the NCAA tournament in March, that is exactly how you need to focus. You can't look ahead in that tournament. YOu must focus only on the game at hand. I think the Zags are learning to do this now, and this week-end will help us develop that kind of mental toughness as well.

BobZag
02-02-2009, 08:55 AM
We're not doomed?

j/k!!! <-- just kidding!

Reborn
02-02-2009, 09:15 AM
As I've said many times on these boards, I really enjoy BZ's approach to each game. I respect and enjoy everything about BobZag. I hope he never changes his approach. I feel the same about LIZF (Long Island Zag Fan) and Silicon (the use of poetry). We're all on the same team, and we all have our different skills and different approaches. I just prefer the positive approach because it's the one I know best. As you've always said to me BZ, I'll say back to you, Keep posting your point of view. And more in your case then mine, many fans really really enjoy what you share here.

I wasn't trying to discredit your approach to the game, or your style. Actually, I really didn't want to taint it. (IF you didn't get it, the word "taint" was a pun because as you know, it has been a huge issue on here lately, so I thought I'd use it in a humorous way here....). :D

No, BZ. I DON'T think we're doomed. But I am really glad that you think we are. It just makes me feel more secure when I hear you say that "We're doomed.":)

BobZag
02-02-2009, 09:20 AM
:)

Gonzaga's guards are big. I'd be surprised (and disappointed) if the GU guards do not abuse UP's guards in some ways.

krozman
02-02-2009, 10:54 AM
As I've said many times on these boards, I really enjoy BZ's approach to each game. I feel the same about LIZF (Long Island Zag Fan) and Silicon (the use of poetry). .":)

Now if we could just convince the board admins to create a new board category for the 4 of you. But what would we call it? Doomsday Foodom? Crystal Ballroom (A place for wild doomsday predictions and Sacre Injury threads)? Wisdom of Gonzaga Relics Practicing Voodoo? (YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN VOODOO DO YOU?). So many choices..:lmao:

Reborn
02-02-2009, 11:14 AM
"Now if we could just convince the board admins to create a new board category for the 4 of you. But what would we call it? Doomsday Foodom? Crystal Ballroom (A place for wild doomsday predictions and Sacre Injury threads)? Wisdom of Gonzaga Relics Practicing Voodoo? (YOU DON'T BELIEVE IN VOODOO DO YOU?). So many choices.." Krozman you just really crack me up. For me, this is the funniest post I've seen in a long time. Your tremendous insight and humor will keep me relaxed until Thursday. Thanks. Your four categories are just awesome, man. You showed some real talent, buddy. I love them all, but I think I'd go with "Wisdom of Gonzaga relics (a nicer name then old farts) practicing Voodoo." :lmao: :lmao: In a strange way, although it's not voodoo, it sometimes seems like it the way we think we can jinks our opponents...And sometimes I wonder if we really can? My favorite method of jinksing an opponent during a game is to walk up to my TV and while an opponent is shooting a foul shot in a very close game in the last two minutes and just rub my fingers across their face....Amazingly it has worked enough to convince me that I have supernatural powers.....just kidding.

I wonder if bloggers from our opponents' Boards are as superstitions and crazy as we are. From my experience posting here, I think we are all really, really, really just a band of crazies, hanging together by a very thin thread.

Bocco
02-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Reborn
Since I had to eat crow on you Portland beating USD and SMC thread I won't disagree with you on this one.
Bocco

g-ride
02-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Yes we will beat Portland. Thanks for the positive post unlike the other one.

bballbeachbum
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
I like this string. Agree that this game is not being overlooked.

Have not seen Portland play but twice this year, but offensively, they remind me of some of our past teams in some ways. Reveno deserves credit.

Don't think one would call them an athletic team, but they do get efficient production thru offensive execution: in the post, rebounding size and good patience and footwork; on the perimeter, safe if unspectacular with the bounce and the ability to shoot the 3; and there's a grit about them you notice right away, no quit in them. They've even got a Raivio with a spoon in his hand stirring the ###.

That said, I agree with BobZag. Our guards will have opportunities. Matt, Steven and Jeremy in the post could be a theme we see early and often, allowing them to make the plays, whatever they are. And who will check Austin? Defensively, I also believe our guards can and will disrupt their backcourt, making it difficult for them to get the ball into the post or to penetrate with the bounce like they want to. This is perhaps the biggest Key to the game, imho, not allowing them to play inside out. Stohl cannot get open looks...no helping off of him and stay with him weakside. We'll see.

More guard stuff: Got to get back because they will push if it's there while looking for the three ball. Rebound the missed threes, an art, and again, it's our guards who can dominate that aspect of the game for us, battling in that circle area for every long rebound, swooping thru there and snagging it.

Hey gamagin!

GO ZAGS!!!

gamagin
02-03-2009, 12:50 PM
well said

best regards,

drogba11
02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Gonzaga is to big period not only in guard play in every aspect of the game. Portland doesn't stand a chance. I'm not trying to be arrogant, its just the truth.

upan8th
02-03-2009, 04:07 PM
The Pilots have a chance to win, notwithstanding d'ball's arro...I mean his over confidence. Portland's best chance, probably their only chance, resides in the person of Nik Raivio. Unlike his older brother Derek, Nik is a legitimate six-four, has got hops, and is one of the team's leading rebounders.

Nik has attempted almost one third of the Pilot's FGAs this season (277 of 547) and 113 of the team's 415 free throws (the next most is 87). Raivio wanted to go to GU very badly, but we only offered an opportunity to walk-on.

He shoots almost 45% from the field. He should be highly, stratospherically motivated to bring down the Zags. If he gets off for 25+ pts, 15 rbs, and 8 to 10 assists, UP could win. Shut him down, or at least limit him, and the Zags cruise.

bballguy
02-03-2009, 07:43 PM
New to the board. Instead of correcting Social Studies tests I decided to compare some statistics between us and Portland.

SHOTS PER GAME
FGA/GAME FGM/GAME FTA/GAME FTM/GAME
GU 54.2 25.8 18.3 12.9
PORT 53.7 24.8 18.9 13.1

TOTAL POINTS FOR SEASON
RAIVIO 364 287 HEYTVELT
STOHL 262 275 DAYE
SMEULDERS 242 261 BOLDIN
CAMPBELL 235 205 GRAY
SIKMA 137 186 PARGO
KNUTSON 115 174 DOWNS
NEIDERMEYER 89 70 GOODSON (13 MIN./GM)
PORTER 45 57 BROWN (10 MIN./GM)
HANNIBAL 38 17 FOSTER (7 MIN/GM)
ITO 11 18 SORENSON (3 MIN/GM)

So...looking at these stats I come to the conclusion (humble as it may be) that if we go about our business and shut down another teams top scorer, (like we have done just about every conference game except one) and not let anyone else go off we should do great. Some one mentioned earlier that Raivio scores so much of their points. Shut him down and Portland has a rough night. A curious comparison comes up with Foster and Hannibal. Could Hannibal, of all people, have a game for the ages and give us fits? I know 38 points for the whole season isn't much, but he does play more mins. per game than does Foster. I match these two up because they play the same position. Also I agree with the Bleacher Report, mentioned in "The Slipper Still Fits" , that Ira needs more PT.

Just_An_Old_Zag
02-03-2009, 08:37 PM
I am a GU grad, my lovely daughter is a UP grad, cause she wanted to get the F... out of spokane...

The alumni and the citizens of Portland just don't care, I wouldn't be surprised to see more GU fans in the stadium...

Zags win...

Darek's Better....

montanazag88
02-03-2009, 09:03 PM
"F" bomb and "my lovely daughter" in the same post? Really? Any chance she reads blogs? Sorry old Zag. I can't identify.

krozman
02-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I am a GU grad, my lovely daughter is a UP grad, cause she wanted to get the F... out of spokane...

I can relate. I had a full ride offered to me to go to University of Portland, but turned it down because it was CLOSER than my high school (vancouver boy commuting to central catholic in portland). Ended up selecting Gonzaga, whose scholarship was not quite as good unfortunately, but it was the perfect distance from portland.

What i'm trying to say, is that your daughter is probably more well rounded than you think. That is if you're comparing her to me, which is kinda scary. :confused:

drogba11
02-03-2009, 11:11 PM
The Pilots have a chance to win, notwithstanding d'ball's arro...I mean his over confidence. Portland's best chance, probably their only chance, resides in the person of Nik Raivio. Unlike his older brother Derek, Nik is a legitimate six-four, has got hops, and is one of the team's leading rebounders.

Nik has attempted almost one third of the Pilot's FGAs this season (277 of 547) and 113 of the team's 415 free throws (the next most is 87). Raivio wanted to go to GU very badly, but we only offered an opportunity to walk-on.

He shoots almost 45% from the field. He should be highly, stratospherically motivated to bring down the Zags. If he gets off for 25+ pts, 15 rbs, and 8 to 10 assists, UP could win. Shut him down, or at least limit him, and the Zags cruise.

Its drogba 11 , not Dballs, you probably don't watch soccer. I think your painting Raivo out to be some unstoppable force IMO. Kind of like Didier Drogba... you probably don't understand that comment as well.

upan8th
02-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Sorry Drogba 11, meant no disrepect in abbreviating your handle. Only your opinion. Apparently you're unfamiliar with the old Jebbie admonition: PRIDE GOETH BEFORE A FALL (ok, so it's not Jebbie; it very well could be). GO ARSENAL! CRUSH CHELSEA!