PDA

View Full Version : Zags

GoZags
03-17-2007, 11:21 AM
I usually have a password that says something like gozagsfinal4, or finalfour06, etc.

Sometime in January I changed the password to letsdance07 (and at the time THAT was wishful thinking).

I'm so glad the Zags won the WCC outright, and won the WCC tourney. This truly was an amazing accomplishment.

6 dances ago (in '02) the Zags didn't make it past the first round, and this year they didn't make it past the first round. But the fact that THEY WON THE LEAGUE and were IN the first round was huge.

I've always maintained the best days of Gonzaga Basketball still lie ahead. I still believe this.

Now good luck to the Women's team!

EL MUSTACIO
03-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I love the way you look at things. Many take for granted how difficult it is for Gonzaga to have a winning program year after year. I dont see many small schools doing it. Gonzaga has a great program that will only get better, but we cant forget the times when we NEVER got to the tournament. The Bulldogs had a down year, but we were playing with the top teams in the nation when we were supposed to have a "down year" Anyways nice post and GO ZAGS!

Zagdawg
03-17-2007, 02:38 PM
I'm right there with ya Go Zags--

The best is yet to come---

BobZag
03-17-2007, 04:21 PM
About 300 schools would give their left hand to have a season like what GU just had. It will, indeed, only get better.

Bulldoggie
03-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Today watching the Cougs dream come to an end made me reflect on our accomplishments. The cougs, I thought had a great team this year. Yet they got knocked out of the tournament in the second round. It is very difficult to win two games and advance to the round of sixteen. The zags have accomplished that feat five out of the last nine years. We the fans have become so accustomed to success that making the tournament isn't enough any more.We look upon the season as a failure if we don't win a couple of games. We accuse the guys of slacking and the coaches of taking the night off. Shame on us.

GoZags
03-17-2007, 10:24 PM
Hate to throw cold water on a great post, and if Blake's runner had dropped -- or Ronny's f.t.s against Texas Tech would have been half his normal percentage the Zags would have 5 (or 6) Sweet 16's.

But alas, it's 4 -- with more (hopefully) on the way.

CDC84
03-17-2007, 11:06 PM
I have long felt that teams feel more pressure in the 2nd round of the NCAA tourney than in any other round. Elite teams are able to relax more once they get to the sweet 16 because their goal is closer in sight, and for most teams, making the sweet 16 makes their season.

juliezag
03-17-2007, 11:21 PM
About 300 schools would give their left hand to have a season like what GU just had. It will, indeed, only get better.

What happens if you are left handed???

sonuvazag
03-18-2007, 12:03 AM
What happens if you are left handed???

Then you give your right hand. It's the meaning that counts. LOL.

NJZag
03-18-2007, 07:38 AM
Sometime in January I changed the password to letsdance07 (and at the time THAT was wishful thinking).

"Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" turned into "No, Virginia, St. Nick just left the building with a bunch of Hoos" ? :D

That game definitely made me re-peg expectations for this year's team back to where they'd been before the UNC win -- and BZ's wisdom that fans should expect 10 losses this season. That Virginia game, plus Duke's slide in the ACC which re-confirmed its middlin' status this year and put the close game in December in perspective, would have found me sharing your password, GZ.

Personal rule of thumb: If the Zags look like a juggernaut by January, and continue to show dominance, then NCAA expectations are logically high. If they stub their toes in January and in WCC games, then expectations about deep NCAA runs are unrealistic. That's a team with flaws which will only get more exposed by NCAA games, when every opponent is dangerous.

Further rule of thumb: Replay video of the WCC Final from '99 to see what a Zag juggernaut looks like. That game presented a singular display of dominance that might be defined as "perfect hoops" and UNASSAILABLE FUNDAMENTALS for those who weren't around to watch it. If one adopts the view that NCAA games will find the team rationally expected to perform at about 75% of WCC juggernaut levels, then one is onto a very valuable insight. The NCAAs drain 25% effectiveness -- anxiety, the need for a tankful of player self-confidence built on a solid foundation of immediate prior play, the small amount of time to prepare for an unknown NCAA opponent between Selection Sunday and first game on Thursday. The 2nd game is killer, as CDC notes. The second game is make-or-break for getting into the round of 16, and the turnaround-time of games from round 1 to 2 is so short that adequate prep is hard even if the players watched a lot of other teams' televised games, including the Round 2 opponent's.

Refinement of further rule of thumb: Even a juggernaut can be undone by horrendous officiating in a critical game. Viz., Zags vs. Nevada in the '04 NCAAs -- same year that a bunch of other teams like Xavier, Stanford, Texas and iirc St. Joe's with Jameer the National POY clearly had refs playing an active role in lost games and the media rising up in unison to howl about just how bad the world of NCAA officiating had become.

Final rule of thumb: Figure out if one can be happy with a team that might never reach a Final Four or a National Championship. Or, if one's aspirations are becoming overly invested in such an outcome such that anything less is seen as settling for too little, ask why.

There is no under-estimating the role of the lucky break that gets a team to a Final Four, or even Elite Eight. The lucky breaks of staying injury-free (have Zags ever had such a year?), or food-poisoning free (remember that incident?), or flu-bug free (several years including this one), or player-problems free with a team of 18-22 year olds (not just this year's player arrests with JH and TD but the ups-and-downs of players with academic obligations and relationships and lives-off-the-court and chemistry-on-the-court), or of getting better matchups vs. worse matchups, or better NCAA game locations vs. more distant arenas -- probably every coach who has been there would acknowledge it took not just talent, good team chemistry, health and good coaching, but a downright cosmic alignment of the stars to get to a Final Four.

Even now, another team of which I'm an alum-and-fan and which is in revival after a past faded-glory history of Final Fours (followed by a long decade of "irrelevance" and dismissive-to-extremely-insulting media coverage) has its fans wondering if the PG has become consistent enough or if weakness at the guard position is going to get exposed (they'd probably grab DRav in a heartbeat as a step up from Jessie and Jonathan and still-inconsistent Jeremiah), and if the next matchup is the more problematic of the possible draws that could have come out of Round 2, and if the last game played (against BC) is the "bad/close game" that the team needed to get out of its system along the rocky path that the experienced fans (those around in the 1980's) recollect from past history, or if the next game is going to be "that" game.

:confused: :confused:

And the most experienced fans of all are saying -- even with a Sweet 16 achieved, mind you -- that this is not "the" year for NC. They "expect" Elite 8 as the best outcome. :D

But the program revival is recent enough, and the start to the overly-hyped early season was rocky enough (how does one lose to Old Dominion on one's own tiny home court, packed to the rafters with fans?), that the team's fans are just happy to be back dancing after a long drought with more NITs than NCAAs.

Perspective. And one that comes from a base of fans which knows, better than many, the cyclical nature of collegiate sports programs and the cosmic alignments that resulted in their last Final Fours in the 1980's.

MedZag
03-18-2007, 09:37 AM
Sometime in January I changed the password to letsdance07

*logs into GoZags account* :)

ZagDaddy
03-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Personal rule of thumb: If the Zags look like a juggernaut by January, and continue to show dominance, then NCAA expectations are logically high. If they stub their toes in January and in WCC games, then expectations about deep NCAA runs are unrealistic. That's a team with flaws which will only get more exposed by NCAA games, when every opponent is dangerous.

Outstanding, sobering advice and an equally outstanding post.:allhail: