PDA

View Full Version : Help! Help! Help!

UberZagFan
01-30-2009, 07:11 AM
For the love of God and country, please stop with the HELP!!! WHEN WILL GU LEARN TO NOT LEAVE THE HOT HAND? Did FOUR three pointers not clue them in? When he hit his FIFTH in the first half, were they thinking it was just luck?

The next time a defender leaves the best/hottest 3 point shooter on the wing to go help by defending some role player, Uber might just throw his remote through the TV. Stop it!!! It's like intentionally walking Scott Brosius to get to Pujols.

After the third, a TO should have been called with these instructions: If you are guarding Mills, you are not to leave him. Ever! If you are not guarding Mills and you get beat, tough. Live with it.

cjm720
01-30-2009, 07:15 AM
Dude, what game did you watch...most of those were contested 3s that happened to go in. Plus as another poster elluded, we were in a zone D (designed by the coaches). Plus the scouting report on him shows that 3 point shooting is not a tremendous strength.

HOOTER
01-30-2009, 07:19 AM
That's fair, but you must admit that most of his three's were contested. He was throwing them up from beyond the arc with a hand in his face and getting nothing but net. I'm not sure he could have been stopped if he had been triple teamed. That being said, I don't think it's humanly possible to do that for an entire game so if he hadn't injured himself, it's safe to say the three point clinic would have ended in the second half.

gozagswoohoo
01-30-2009, 07:28 AM
Here is what I believe Uber is talking about....

YES...they were for the most part contested, but take for instance Mills last 3 pointer he made. It was right in front of the zags bench. They threw Mills a cross court pass because nobody was within 15 feet of him. That pass is not made if someone is up in his grill. Also, while the actual SHOT was contested, Mills had 2 seconds to prepare to catch the ball, get set, and shoot.

But, again, my main point is, is that he doesn't even get that pass if someone is right there on him.

former1dog
01-30-2009, 07:33 AM
Uber is correct. Please mark this on your calendar and make the appropriate journal entry. :D

tobizag
01-30-2009, 07:33 AM
woohoo, that shot you're referring to as well as the fast break three are the two that stick out in my head the most.

the swing pass, pargo switched to go cover some no-name white dude, leaving their only offensive weapon open by a mile, and forcing gray to run 40 feet to close out on him. like you said, gray got there just as the ball was released, leading some to claim it was a "contested" shot. it was not.

the three he hit on the fast break made me even more mad though. as soon as they inbounded the ball, i looked at my buddy and said "he's going to jack it from the same spot." sure enough, he gets a look in his eyes that tells everyone on the court what he's about to do, and yet nobody stepped up. he canned it right in meech's face. i've always thought we should be willing to face guard guys like that, simply because if they burn you it's only 2 points. if the are open from behind the line, it's 3. simple math tells you you'd rather get burned and let josh and austin fight over blocking the shot, especially given mills futility in the paint last night.

jim77
01-30-2009, 07:35 AM
"But, again, my main point is, is that he doesn't even get that pass if someone is right there on him"

BINGO!

You don't even wait till the guy gets hot.....everybody in the country knows he's the guy running the machine. Put a guy on him from the opening tipoff.

gozagswoohoo
01-30-2009, 07:35 AM
exactly tobizag, IMO, some type of box and 1 defense may have been appropriate. Heck, let no name McGee take wide open jumpers all game if you have to, just make sure Patty isn't getting his open looks like he was.

IrishZagFan
01-30-2009, 07:49 AM
WooHoo,

Please post a picture of the chalkboard and illustrate for those not in the Know.

Or is that the no......

Hmmmmm....

gamagin
01-30-2009, 07:55 AM
open looks. It's a problem. It's a problem with any hot hand in our defense, which is otherwise about the best there is.

we need to clamp down on the obvious shooter or the hot hand, imo. clearly.

Once and Future Zag
01-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Mills looks were anything but open for the most part- from memory I can only recall one uncontested one - that was a pop immediately after he got a screen.

former1dog
01-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Mills looks were anything but open for the most part- from memory I can only recall one uncontested one - that was a pop immediately after he got a screen.

I think the key is the adjustment. Most of his shots were contested, but the defense was help defense.

If a player, any player, gets that hot then the adjustment in our defense should be ball denial. That player doesn't get to touch the ball.

I disagree with the notion that we should start the game defensively with a ball denial type defense for Mills, but once he hit the 2nd or 3rd three pointer, then we make the adjustment.

krozman
01-30-2009, 08:24 AM
, Uber might just throw his remote through the TV.

At least then you might break the TV and spare us your whining. You have no idea what you're talking about.

johnwzag
01-30-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree with Uber but I am not as frustrated.

Here is the difference. SMC was pretty much in Matt's, Stevens, Micah's faces almost always the entire game no matter where they were on the court when they had the ball. They did not have a second or two to think about the basket, they had to be concerned with handling the ball.

While most of Patty's shot were contested. The initial 1 or 2 seconds of being open to think about the basket and where he was on the court in relationship to it, was more of a factor then the defensive player coming at him.

Mills had that time over and over in the first half. Think...1000-1 1000-2, player coming, but I have time to shoot. Shoot, player to late. Yes, most were contested at the point when the ball was released. To me, that is not good enough. If you want to be great at defense, you must be in the shooters face so he has to worry more about keeping the ball then shooting the basket.

That said, the other 2 S's in the paint for SMC were a factor in the game not because of what actually occured, but because of the threat they are and the reason why Patty got those 2 second looks. In past games we have had guards slip into the paint to help Austin, JH or Will by disrupting the dribble of opponents big, while Austin, JH or Will managed to keep them at distance to the basket. Our bigs are not real bigs. That is the problem. Had we not done this, I think the game may have ended up just as it did, except with more points coming in the paint because of the 2 S's feeling comfortable down low.

It is pick your poison.

I prefer what we did seeing how Patty is normally a 33% 3 point shooter. Kudos to Patty for being on fire.

I don't think our weak spot is our guards. Our weak spot is in the paint. We do not have a JP Batista or RT. So our guards are helping on the inside because our not so bigs need backup.

former1dog
01-30-2009, 08:37 AM
At least then you might break the TV and spare us your whining. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I think that is very much an unnecessary comment. Please demonstrate your superior knowledge of the game with an informed, logical post rather than attempting to demean the opinion of another with a personal attack.

Edited to add: But please DO neg rep Uber to add to his bad boy image :D

johnwzag
01-30-2009, 08:42 AM

Your funny. Your Avatar is a little cute kid and when I read the text and think of that cute kid, I think it is funny. Lighten up dude.

UberZagFan
01-30-2009, 09:24 AM

This ain't whining. It's #####ing. Feel free to neg rep.