PDA

View Full Version : X/osu

Birddog
03-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Why wasn't Oden called for a flagrant foul under the basket? Had that been flagrant, X would've had the game in the bag.

Birddog

sanfranzagsguy20
03-17-2007, 11:26 AM
i was thinking the same thing it was blatant thuggery out of frustration....what a clutch shot by lewis though...hell of a game...looks like xavier has run out of gas though

Birddog
03-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Well the announcers didn't say a word about it, but I thought it was way flagrant. Muskrats are going down and that's a shame. I have never liked the buckeyes. Maybe Florida will match up with them again, that might worth watching.

Birddog

MDS03
03-17-2007, 11:37 AM
It was an intentional. That was Xavier's game.

Nevtelen
03-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah, that foul was pretty bad. I've seldom been less happy to have my bracket intact. That has to be a tough loss.

BroncoZAG615
03-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Not a terrible foul, especially in the situation. Make your free throws with 6 seconds left and your going to the sweet 16. No one to blame but themselves.

CDC84
03-17-2007, 12:20 PM
It has been suggested that the Xavier player was slightly off balance and Greg Oden weighed 75 more pounds than him. Hence, the foul looked flagrant, but in fact it looked worse than it was. I am not saying this is the right analysis........but it's one person's take.....and he isn't an OSU fan.

The larger question is why Xavier didn't foul before Butler's last second 3 ball. The Buckeyes had 5 competent three point shooters on the floor, and Greg Oden had fouled out at that point to take away the huge threat for a tip in off a 2nd missed free throw....which, at worst, would've tied the game.

This is a coach's pride thing that has to go. They need to foul. The kind of defense that is required in that "we have hit a 3 to tie the game with seconds remaining" situation goes against the defensive instincts of most basketball players. You never see people setting picks to free up shooters 27 feet from the basket in the first 39:50 minutes of a basketball game. It's just too risky.

I feel bad for Xavier's players who are instructed to do what their coach tells them. I blame "Coach" Miller for the loss far more than anything the officials did. The Musketeers can't control what the refs will or will not call, but they had control over the decision not to foul.

TrueLiz
03-17-2007, 12:27 PM
I do agree that Xavier had their opportunity to win if they hit their free throws, but I also think it was an intentional/flagrant foul. That doesn't mean the player needs to be body slammed - it's just making no attempt to actually get the ball. Oden shoved him. It was a frustration move that shouldn't have happened and fits the defininition of an intentional foul.

That being said, there would've been quite an uproar if a game like that was decided by an official calling something somewhat controversial, and they had been letting them play for the most part. Xavier still had it in their hands to secure the game.

youreachiteach
03-17-2007, 12:31 PM
I think Sean coached a HECK of a game!! He called good timeouts in key stretches to get good shots, he isolated Gage On Oden, who took him away from the basket and took Oden off the bounce, he was calm and had his team in a postion for a major upset.. His team played great D, all the way through. If Gage who went 8/8 from the field, makes that FT, game over. He outcoached Matta, and this game, but Lewis was unreal, and the Conley jr. strip after the basket was the key of the game.

In Europe, every coach fouls up by 3pts. Over here, we don't for some reason.

CDC84
03-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Part of the reason why Miller coached a heck of a game, most of the game, was because he knows OSU's system inside and out. He's an ex-Matta assistant.....those guys on the other bench are all friends of his.....

youreachiteach
03-17-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes indeed, SEan Miller, John Groce and Alan Major were Matta's assistants at Xavier. That staff heavily recruited a kid named Altidor Cespesdes a few yrs ago. Xavier loved him(#4), Churchill Odia(XU but transfered) and Aj Ratliff(IU).

They all left, and Sean got the HC job at XU. They all know each other's plays.

Lewis got hot for Ohio St.

TuckC
03-17-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't think it was flagrant. A fould should have been called earlier when the guy for OSU was thrown to the ground while shooting.