PDA

View Full Version : One trick pony!

g-ride
01-30-2009, 01:44 AM
That is what St. Mary's is. Patty Mills was on fire. Once he got hurt, St. Mary's was not the same team as they are. Diamond Simpson was there go to player and he could not carry there team. And for Samhan, he is the Tyson Chandler of College BBall. Tyson Chandler was a nobody with the Bulls but once he got paired with Chris Paul he is a top 5 center. Not saying Samhan is top 4 centers in NCAA but Mills makes him a lot better.

GoZags
01-30-2009, 04:59 AM
So according to your criteria, Gonzaga must have been a "One Trick Pony" during the Dickau years. If you'll recall, he broke his finger in a game against Arizona. I believe (as many Gael fans believe today) had our star not been hurt -- there would have been a different outcome.

The Zags started the year 6-5 and with Dickau's return from injury, went on a run that ended up with a Sweet 16 loss to Michigan State. A "One Trick Pony?" I don't know about you, but I always thought Casey Calvary was pretty good. I always thought Mark Spink played with great heart and passion. Sure they were better with 3D on the floor -- but I still considered them to be great Zags.

I think the Dickau/Patty Mills comparison is appropriate. 3D ended up being a Top 5 AP All American. Mills certainly has the chance to equal that (I just don't think he's getting the exposure for National POY honors).

I hope the kid heals quickly and can get back in form soon. GU was certainly a better team with a healthy Dickau. St. Mary's will be a better team once Mills gets back.

ZaginLaw
01-30-2009, 05:52 AM
You aren't a one trick pony if that pony could be playing in the NBA today and you only beat that one trick pony team by a handful of points on your home court.

kyle dixon
01-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Spot on Go Zags. I remember when Dickau went down in that second half against AZ. We would have won that game if he had remained in the game. However as DD goes down, one door closes, another opens up. A young freshman by the name of Blake Stepp came to play that night as we almost pulled off the upset. I still have nightmares of the Richard Jefferson windmill jam with less than ten seconds left in the game and the game being decided.:mad:

This is a good SMC team. Patty Mills is one helluva player, and his team mates had a hard time adjusting as he went out of the game. Players roles were exposed and the shock of their leader being injured was huge. They will recover and part 2 of this series will definitely be a dandy.

kyle

zag944
01-30-2009, 07:06 AM
losing by single digits in a hostile road enviornment without your best player does not make you a one trick pony

cjm720
01-30-2009, 07:11 AM
You totally morphed his arugment to your own and called it his...I do agree with both however.

So according to your criteria, Gonzaga must have been a "One Trick Pony" during the Dickau years. If you'll recall, he broke his finger in a game against Arizona. I believe (as many Gael fans believe today) had our star not been hurt -- there would have been a different outcome.

The Zags started the year 6-5 and with Dickau's return from injury, went on a run that ended up with a Sweet 16 loss to Michigan State. A "One Trick Pony?" I don't know about you, but I always thought Casey Calvary was pretty good. I always thought Mark Spink played with great heart and passion. Sure they were better with 3D on the floor -- but I still considered them to be great Zags.

I think the Dickau/Patty Mills comparison is appropriate. 3D ended up being a Top 5 AP All American. Mills certainly has the chance to equal that (I just don't think he's getting the exposure for National POY honors).

I hope the kid heals quickly and can get back in form soon. GU was certainly a better team with a healthy Dickau. St. Mary's will be a better team once Mills gets back.

malmer7
01-30-2009, 07:22 AM
losing by single digits in a hostile road enviornment without your best player does not make you a one trick pony

exactly. and as another poster put it, if mills is back, we will not be favored the next time we play the gaels unfortunately. this is st. mary's best team in a long time without mills, but obviously mills puts them over the top and is a very special team (no matter how easy their schedule has been this year).

HOOTER
01-30-2009, 07:41 AM
SMC is great with Mills, but they're still very good without him. They hung tight in the second half and never gave up. Let's give some credit where credit is due.

johnwzag
01-30-2009, 07:58 AM
SMC is great with Mills, but they're still very good without him. They hung tight in the second half and never gave up. Let's give some credit where credit is due.

Agreed. They all played well and tough in a hostile environment. Because of their weak schedule, I was unsure about SMC until last night. Patty got his average 18 points before the injury. Chances are, he would have cooled off but still drop at least 6-8 more points on us and along with distributing the ball well. They are a team to be reconed with. Their is no reason they could not compete with any team we played this season. They are a legit top 25 team I think.

I also think we are better and getting better every game. We have had our slumps, but the future is bright. Wish we did not have such a weak schedule in the end though.

A team that amazes me is Arizona. They can be hot or cold. Beating Washington last night with 105 points was something. I would not want to play them at tourney time.

skan72
01-30-2009, 08:36 AM
I would much rather Mills be healthy and read and play 40 minutes, or whatever, for the next game. You always want to play the best competition every night, it can only help in the long run.

bullzag23
01-30-2009, 08:56 AM
A team that amazes me is Arizona. They can be hot or cold. Beating Washington last night with 105 points was something. I would not want to play them at tourney time.

What was crazy about the UW/AZ game which I didn't realize until I read the paper this morning, Arizona made 41/51 free throws, and I believe 40 were attempted in the 2nd half. Either there was some one-sided officiating, or UW was hacking away, but 40 free throws for one team in a half is insane.

Anyways, back to the main topic, I'm in the camp that isn't so sure we would have lost that game with Mills still in the lineup. I mean sure, he was 6/8 from 3 in the first half, but he missed all his shots from inside the arc, and there's very little chance he stays hot through the rest of the game. Granted he would probably have dropped a few more points on us, but I would hope our halftime adjustments would have limited his scoring opportunties to a minimum. It's too bad we'll never know how it would have turned out, but a win is a win. Now let's take out USD tomorrow.