PDA

View Full Version : Zags take it to the rack - again, and again, and again

FuManShoes
01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
I can't remember a game - especially a home game - in which the Zags took it to the rack more often and owned the paint so thoroughly. Kudos to Jeremy and Matt for sticking to what I assume was the game plan - attack, attack, attack. And I think we have to step back and applaud the defensive strategy -- fronting the post, having Pargo put a body on Simpson, etc. There was a lot to like about the execution in this one, despite the assassination attempt by Mills.

Bocco
01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree, I can't remember a game where the Zags consistently drove the lane, and it wasn't just one player, who ever had the ball on the perimeter was looking to drive to the hoop.

Baldwinzag
01-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I loved our "attack the rim" mentality by our guards, especially by Bouldin, Pargo, and Gray. To be honest, I would prefer Daye not drive from the top of the key as much and actually shoot pull up mid-range jumpers or 3pt shots more. Its odd, yet I think he has a higher percentage shooting the ball than driving to the hoop. He's the only player I'd ever think of suggesting this to. That said, I loved Daye's effort on defense and rebounding tonight. He saved us on the offensive glass and helped disrupt Samhan down below. Also, It was genious to put Ira! on Simpson in the 2nd half and deny him the ball down low...worked like a charm.

Zag79
01-29-2009, 11:58 PM
It was genious to put Ira! on Simpson in the 2nd half and deny him the ball down low...worked like a charm.

it was samhan he was on, and i think this game earned Ira more PT against bigs the rest of the season to spell Josh. he did wonders on smahan, almost single handedly shutting him down. talk about out muscling the bigger man, wow. that aside, the guys did a wonderful job of going to hole for high % shots. a couple of those 3s drop, run ira at mills and this game is a blowout. i expect to see ira face guarding mills in moraga and i wouldnt be surprised to see another W. mills or no mills i really think we are the better team.

ZagsGoZags
01-30-2009, 01:05 AM
I thought it was genius of Few to run at the two big men so much in the second half. With Mills out, they were a two man team, and couldn't afford to get in foul trouble, and we took advantage. They had to be feeling the pressure as our guards constantly drove on them.

it was strange to win the way we did, but
they came at us, and you see it more than once, that a great team will lose one of their best players, then get fired up and beat the opponent anyway. That was what the Gaels wanted to do, and we were stronger, especially on defense. Good for us, a true earned win.

jim77
01-30-2009, 07:39 AM
We need to keep taking it to the rack also....I noticed we shot more freethrows than our opponents....and made them.