PDA

View Full Version : Offseason individual improvements

BobZag
03-17-2007, 10:23 AM
Briefly....

Pargo = hone 3-point shot, become deadly finisher, work on passing/assisting.

Bouldin = hone 3-point shot, work on ballhandling, become better finisher.

Downs = work on passing, hone mid-range game, get in the weightroom.

Pendo = polish up scoring/shooting.

Kuso = work on post moves, at least two go-to moves.

Theo = polish post moves, hone mid-range shots (out to 16 feet).

Josh = work on life.

Team = use this season as motivation and fuel for next season.

EL MUSTACIO
03-17-2007, 10:31 AM
Pendo-grow a few inches so you can be a legit post man!!!

MDS03
03-17-2007, 10:34 AM
A few more:

PMAC: work on creating opportunities; use quickness to be a valuable lock-down defender

Foster: gain strength and work on foot work (can be a real presence inside)

LG: pray the back heals fully; bring a much needed defensive energy to the team

roxdoc
03-17-2007, 11:14 AM
I see repeated messages of Theo as a 5. His build and athleticism suggests more of a 4 to me.

sanfranzagsguy20
03-17-2007, 11:15 AM
bouldin: be more assertive and show more confidence...understandably passive as a freshmen but that can't happen next season he has to take those wide open shots...he can't catch a case of the p-mac's

tyra
03-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Coach Few -- A little more emphasis on D. But next year's key will be the hard to define but important "chemistry". These players have the talent.

Abdullah -- Ball handling, ball handling and more ball handling and maintaining that great D without quite so many fouls.

Jeremy -- A little more outside shot but he finished the season well. Speaking of "finishing", I hereby record the first difference ever with BobZ. I think Jeremy is already the best finisher around (huge HUGE improvement over last year).

Pendo -- Uh, I cannot think of an apsect of his game that needs much improvement.

Matt B -- More consistency on the outside shot and fewer errors (ball handling and passing). While clearly one of the best passers in the nation, he does have occasional brain farts.

Downs -- Just continue the same trajectory of improvement as demonstrated this year.

Larry G -- Get well!

Josh -- It is time to grow up young man. Then on the court, increase assists and consistency of play. There seems to be a tendency when he is fed the ball down low that he MUST conclude the play with a shot. Not always.

PMac -- I'm clueless as to what has happened here and to the play and greater potential I once observed. Simply clueless.

This post is about improvements needed but I conclude by saying that I think the next two years will truly be the most fun ever for the Zag nation. Incredible talent.

zags93
03-17-2007, 11:35 AM
As a team:
Perimeter Defense.....PLEASE!!!! Not giving up the three and also not fouling guys behind the arc.

zagmantis2001
03-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Offseason improvements/changes:

PA announcer guy-get well and come back to the Kennel. The replacement hurts my ears.

Meat sandwhich counter at the Kennel-redo the system, too confusing.

Guy that sits in front of me-shrink two inches, your head it too big. Or, put one of your children in front of me, I'm short.

Fans in general-stop leaving with 2 minutes left in the first half to get a flat beer in the hospitality room.

GU engineers-at least 15 people per game stumble on the 9th stair going up to section 116 just above the tunnels. Someone is going to lose a tooth, but my arms are getting bigger from catching people. BTW, good idea with the cup holders, last year I spilled 2 drinks in 5 minutes.

Kennel club-do "Right-left, right left" for a guy that fouls out. "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey goodbye" stinks.

Band-keep playing "Vehicle", no more classic rock songs other than this one. Never allow the guitar player to do the national anthem again. It was weird.

Start Zombie nation 4 minutes before the game instead of 3-its the only exercise I get all week.

Cheerleaders, less building, more dancing.

Coffee cannon:-aim for section 116. You never got close this year.

RebornZag
03-17-2007, 12:13 PM
tyra: I will need to go with BZ on the one about finishing. Pargo was 1-7 against IU. Not's not very good imo. Especially when we're playing the most important game of the year, and he can't hit any 3 footers? All the offensive blame certainly doesn't fall on Kuso....Pargo was certainly AWOL....He has a great spin move, and at times really looked phenominal!!! And then the injury and falling back to his play last year....choking:( :(

youreachiteach
03-17-2007, 12:33 PM
Defense!

tyra
03-17-2007, 12:50 PM
Reborn: I don't think Jeremy "lapsed" vs. IU with respect to his finishing skills. I just think he had an off game. Name a player anywhere in the WCC who can penetrate as well as Jeremy. There aren't any. He is so strong and this year, put the ball in or drew the foul with great consistency. I am more concerned for next year about having a player who can legitimately create his own shot from farther out. Seems to me that is a "hole" in an otherwise extremely potent offense. Think about it: Jeremy penetrates, Matt slashes the baseling, Pendo is deadly from mid range, Josh can shoot from almost anywhere as can Micah. But who CREATES their own shot outside? I don't mean someone who can shoot well off a screen or designed play. But who can CREATE their own outside shot? I don't see anyone who does that particularly well on the squad despite their other considerable talents. Back to Jeremy . . . He is a warrior and I think his emotional leadership of this team will be critical next year.

RebornZag
03-17-2007, 04:25 PM
tyra: not criticising Pargo. He's my favorite player on the Zags. I just don't feel he's one of the best finishers off penetration in the country right now. He's had trouble his whole career. I don't think the reference about Pargo was to the WCC. I'd say he's the best in the WCC. In terms of the country, when you talk about the national level we're talking about the NCAA tournament. Our point guard can't disappear in the tournament if he wants to be considered "one of the best in the country." Part of being the best, or one of, is the ability to play in the BIG games. All BZ said in his thread was that he thought Pargo could work on finishing, and I agree. The most important position on the team in the tournament is the point guard, and if we're going to get to the final 4 Pargo WILL need to improve. Right now we're a long ways from being a final 4 team.

TuckC
03-17-2007, 04:36 PM
Pargo- Shooting, clock management.

Boudin- Adaptation of shooting and college gameplay

Downs- Health, Passing, System knowledge

Pendo- Shot (will be relied on alot next year)

Kuso- Offensive scheming, deletion of foul trouble, Tip ins, Free throws

btzag
03-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Pargo/Bouldin/Downs - Bring high-level intensity and consistency on offense AND defense next year for every game. No lapses.

All three were underclassmen this year so it's understandable but at times they would look like all-americans for stretches and then disappear or implode. And once again let me stress the defense point! I've watched a lot of tourney games so far and see way more effort defensively from a good 3/4 of the teams than what we saw from the zags. If those three can bring it every game along with Pendo(who always brings it) and the return of Heytvelt, it should be a fun and very successful year.

VinnyZag
03-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Kuso - work on layins. Or, repeat 10,000 times every day: "It's OK to dunk the ball."

SchiavoZag
03-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Heytvelt must continue to work on his jawdropping dunks and swats and shooting the nba 3

zagsdan86
03-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Everyone = FREE THROWS

It would be nice to have a whole team as automatic as DRAV.

TrueLiz
03-17-2007, 07:38 PM
Raivio type free throw shooters don't come along often, but it would be good if the team didn't fall late in the season. They were 3rd in the country at the 3/4 point of the season, and fell to 17th. Without Derek, they probably would've fallen much further. Today's NCAA games showed what kind of impact free throws can make.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-17-2007, 07:53 PM
With the luxury, hopefully, of several legitimate post players available next year (Kuso, JH, Theo, Sacre, Ira (?) ), I'm wondering if Pendo's minutes will come at the '3' rather than '4' spot. If the Zags like playing with an undersized power forward (done more out of necessity then choice this year, imo), I'd think Ira better suited then Pendo. Thus, imo, Pendo's key offseason work needs to be on improving lateral quickness, ball handling and developing a dependable pump-and-drive to the basket move.

GonzagasaurusFlex
03-17-2007, 08:01 PM
p.s. The more I imagine the possibilities next year and all the talent, the more I hope Few may consider platooning 5 guys at a time and developing essentially two units. This would help alleviate the logjam at several positions (3, 4, 5) and keep everyone involved. PMac and LG could be the leadership on a "2nd team" filled in with Gray, Davis and Sacre. This 2nd team would get about 5 minutes per half while the remaining players form the "1st team" and their key subs: Pargo, Bouldin, Downs (Daye), Pendo (Ira), JH (Kuso) would play most of the minutes.

jonesz
03-17-2007, 08:08 PM
Pargo: A new barber.

I'm sorry that I'm old school but that spelling of "Pargo" on his side left me speechless. You have your name on your back.

Heytvelt / Davis : Take advantage of your second chance.

Few: Develop toughness in your team (Izzo, Howland, Coach K)

zagco
03-18-2007, 07:52 AM
I'd like to see a whole new defense, including a new defensive coach.

I'd also like to see our players taught how to set picks and screens for perimeter shots.

jbslicer
03-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Kuso should work on a 12-15 foot jumper. 4 on 5 doesn't work very well.
Speaking of the coffee cannon, it needs more juice to fire the tee shirts up the the last rows of the Arena.

Birddog
03-19-2007, 05:37 AM
I'm going to be working on expanding my personal experience with Belgian beers and putting another 5,000 miles or so on my bike. Not that anybody would GAS.

Birddog

94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
03-19-2007, 10:35 AM
DEFENSE - faster, better, more, harder - I'm convinced that lock down defense creates offense and we haven't been doing it.

Other than that -

Play Kernkraft 400 almost continually during game breaks - and almost all of the rest of the time as well.

NCAA should serve beer at their events - in copious quantities, and to ME

Spokane should try and get the NCAA's every two years, we're a great venue!

Ceremonially burn the red uniforms - in public - dramatically - banish their existence forever and go back to ROYAL BLUE!

SCHEDULE WINTHROP!

personally, I've got a new horse to figure out, don't know how to stop him yet...but he runs like hell so the gas pedal works.. and I'd really like to get better at growing tomatoes - two years in a row now I've had really crappy tomatoes. Don't know what's up, but I'll figure it out!