• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

Lightining Rod Dave Libbey

Welcome to David Libbey's world, where it has to be arbitrary rather than collegial. Where one cup of controversy overrides a bucket of fairness. Where Arizona fans forget that he "saved" their team a couple of years ago in the final seconds by making a charging call on Oregon's Aaron Brooks.

"There was no talk about that," he said with some bitterness, referring to the reaction over the Hill call. "Only when it benefits or doesn't benefit. There's no neutrality. All this stuff I'm hearing, all these blogs ... I could [care less]."

Libbey is the West's most recognizable official, its most noted, maybe even its most notorious.

There's the good Libbey: Unswerving, in complete control, gutsy, unafraid.

And the bad Libbey: Hair-trigger, occasionally imposing on the game, sometimes theatrical.

He's the guy coaches will roll their eyes over but will be happy to see if they're on the road, knowing he'll make the unpopular call.
    What you were looking for wasn't found. Maybe we can help you figure out where to go.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • MedZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    occasionally imposing on the game
    and I'm occasionally busy
    Training Grounds: Rambling Thoughts of a Surgical Resident
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions. -Siddhartha Gautama

Comment

• PDXZag
      Bulldog Fan
      • Feb 2007

The Technical Foul Was the Real Crime

I don't nearly have as much problem with the moving screen call on Hill as I do with the T on the assistant coach. That was pure Libbey. Sure, the call on Hill was probably a bad call, particularly at that point in the game, but the T was simply unexcusable. Libbey needed to check his ego in that situation, which by the way was during a time out, and walk to the other side of the court. ASU probably still wins the game after the Hill foul (and assuming no T), but at least UA would have had a chance. There was about 20 seconds left on the clock. A quick foul and a missed free throw by ASU would have given UA a chance to tie. But we, as fans, never got the chance to watch that because, as usual, it was Big Game Dave's show. Always has been, always will be.

Comment

• MDABE80
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Libbey is fine when it comes to the academics of basketball. That said, he shouldn't be allowed to ever call a basketball game again...ever. Contols the game instead of reffing it. Punishes coaches and players who might question his calls..with more bad calls. Would rather draw attention to himself than the game flow. Lives in a protected role as a college ref and he uses that to protect his lousy calls...often gamechanging calls. I'd go on but I don't have the time. Suffice it to say.....I've been watching this fool for 20 years and nothing has changed.....no matter that he's reffed FF, E8 games..and many important games in the regular season. He's been a miserable failure from the beginning....and he's not getting better. And I'm being nice!
        Last edited by MDABE80; 01-28-2009, 10:00 AM. Reason: spell

Comment

• CDC84
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Conflict of interest

Dave's an interesting guy," says McCabe. "Fans hate him. He comes across as arrogant, but he's so passionate about getting it right. He's in the top five of every coach in the Pac-10. That's who they want."
          What McCabe is not telling you is that he's a former official himself. The reason why we have major officiating issues in college basketball is because current officials are accountable to ex-officials, who are interested in protecting their own. I seriously doubt that McCabe has spoken to any coach or player within the Pac 10 about who the best refs are. If there was an impartial supervisor of officials within the Pac 10, I would be willing to bet that Libbey would be history.

Comment

Working...
          X